Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 PM

297 posts, read 741,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I'm curious as to how the performance of my 'Vette LS3 convertible compares with your XLR-V. What horsepower you getting out of that Northstar?
No comparison. Though the superchargers give an almost "sensual" whistling, you never experience them until 70+ mph. Your LS3 would smoke me due to the Caddy being the fat pig she is. She weighs about 600+ lbs more, so ~440 under the hood only sounds fast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,419,117 times
When ascribing the label "status symbol," there are degrees as to when any vehicle crosses that line. A gold plated Roller is a luxury car turned status symbol, IMO, whereas the Phantom in regular paint spec is a luxury car that makes a statement, but might not be solely for the status. Similarly, a donk with large wheels is largely done for status as there is no extra utility garnered from that type of modification to a vehicle, though it may or may not have been a luxury vehicle on which the wheels were used.

A car need not only be luxury to be named a status symbol, either. Sometimes the "it" car of the season like the Miata, Mini Cooper, etc. are used for the status when said model is relatively new and exclusive, bought for the trendiness factor. In some circles, a Prius can be viewed as a status symbol, as well.

The definition is of status symbol is relative, and while I can understand the variance between Frugal Living and Automotive in terms of definition of vehicle, from transportation appliance to enthusiast machine, I doubt that many would eschew luxury features in a vehicle if offered, unless there is inherent status in self-denial and driving the most plain vehicle possible.

As long as the person writing the check for the vehicle is happy, then all is well in the automotive world, IMO.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-21-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
As long as the person writing the check for the vehicle is happy, then all is well in the automotive world, IMO.
Of course they are! Because they're making interest off the person that's driving it!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 AM

78,506 posts, read 60,702,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
Of course they are! Because they're making interest off the person that's driving it!
Pay cash.

The last car I financed was when my teenager was in diapers.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,156,575 times
I bought my Aston as i could afford it and loved it. I could afford to pay cash for it and new i'd not lose money when i sold it so why not. The car before that was an MG and i bought that for the same reason.

(these are second cars btw, the main is an Alfa).

Old 04-21-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Pay cash.

The last car I financed was when my teenager was in diapers.
When financing specials are actually lower than what your bank returns in the form in interest or other kinds of capital gains, it makes more sense to finance.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:54 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,419,117 times
Quote:
LOL! Yes, though I write my own checks for cars.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,453,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Status symbol?

There are plenty of other reasons like wanting a big powerful engine, a car that handles well. A car that is very safe, a car that is fun to drive. A car that is big enough for family and things etc.. There are many more reasons than a status symbol.

Exactly.

1). Don't care about others and their opinions of what I drive.
2). Want a car that will do exactly what it is designed to do.(Like at least over 180 mph when out in the midwest flatlands).
3). HIgh level of safety (When you get hit by the 6000lb Rover in your Toyota Tercel, me thinks you would be wishing you were driving something else.) Not my problem.
4). Cars are like screwdrivers; each one has a different application. There is no 'one size fits all', thus it takes more than one. Go off-road, one vehicle. Go to Lime Rock, another vehicle. Go to work. another vehicle.

Depending on how far you have to commute (if you even take a car at all), if you calculate the number of hours you spend in your vehicle, (which for many can be substantial), why not have something nice for you to enjoy every day?

Old 04-21-2012, 12:28 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,453,254 times
Quote:
No comparison. Though the superchargers give an almost "sensual" whistling, you never experience them until 70+ mph. Your LS3 would smoke me due to the Caddy being the fat pig she is. She weighs about 600+ lbs more, so ~440 under the hood only sounds fast!

Not to hijack this thread:

You can silence blowers easily. I used to build 4, 6, and 8-71 blower motors for fun (with the big 3-inch Bando belts, that whined like a liberal). (8V92 blowers were, umm, rather excessive). (Simply have the pulleys drilled, to allow the air to escape, and you won't even hear it.
On a roots-style, we would groove the rotors, put in teflon inserts, clearance everything, and then the blow-by would be virtually zero.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,697,426 times
A couple of Volvos now, after several Audis and Volvos and a couple of others. I'm not sure any are really luxury cars, as much as cars with what some would consider "luxurious" appointments.

I own them for the same reasons other people own anything.

For me, spending most all of my driving time on the highway, I'm good if a car has good power, pulls up mountains well, doesn't stumble all over itself on turns, and has some nice creature comforts. I love driving too, so I can usually find something enjoyable about almost any car, even the (very) bland stuff I often get out of rental fleets on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive