Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:54 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,162,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBanson View Post
Yep, you're right about the safety & liability issues.

I do all my own mechanical work, and end up working on lots of family members' vehicles. I've really ripped into some of the about the condition of their vehicles (one nephew had literally ground a brake rotor down to the thickness of shoe box cardboard). In the end, I cannot make them NOT be stupid.

So... What did you do about the tire & lack of alignment issue?

I’ve been trying to get a family member to do the timing belt in her Accord for a year and half. She bought this car used with 177k and has no record of it ever being done. I guess when it finally does break I'll never hear the end of it.

There wasn’t much we could do for the customer, except sell them new tires and new tires for the customer’s BMW 5-er didn’t come cheap. If I recall the shop cut them a deal on the mounting and balancing since they were also doing a 90-thousand mile service at the same time. The customer opted for an alignment this time around. The school of hard knocks I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 11:25 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,311,244 times
My in-laws have a Grand Marquis. Right after they bought it they told my wife that they were going to have a new turn signal switch installed because the dimmer switch wouldn't work. Knowing that the dimmers on these cars are activated by pushing the switch forward, and knowing that they were used to Chevys which have switches that are pulled back, I called them up and explained the operation. It turned out the switch was fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive