Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 12:57 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,875,874 times

Advertisements

when i pick up my new car at the dealer i will donate my old car to Cars 4 Kids and get a tax receipt. Will Cars 4 Kids ask about how old the parts are? would the value of the car increase on the tax receipt if they found that it has new brakes, brake lines, battery, muffler and cat converter? should i bring the receipts along? or does it not work this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 01:24 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,423,099 times
You'll get a reciept for some pre-determined amount based on some arbitrary book value. What you've put in it will make no difference.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:56 PM

19,252 posts, read 25,701,027 times
Rather than worrying about the value that they will place on your donated vehicle, I think that you should worry about the legitimacy of Kars 4 Kids!

Take a look at this information, courtesy of AOL Finance:
Kars4Kids steers donors in the wrong direction - DailyFinance

Additionally, Charity Navigator, the best site for evaluating charities, has posted a Donor Alert regarding k4K and the fact that K4K's business records have been subpoenaed by the NY Attorney General's Office in connection with an investigation into their practices.

Last edited by Retriever; 12-23-2011 at 03:36 PM..

Old 12-24-2011, 12:29 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,555,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Rather than worrying about the value that they will place on your donated vehicle, I think that you should worry about the legitimacy of Kars 4 Kids!

Take a look at this information, courtesy of AOL Finance:
Kars4Kids steers donors in the wrong direction - DailyFinance

Additionally, Charity Navigator, the best site for evaluating charities, has posted a Donor Alert regarding k4K and the fact that K4K's business records have been subpoenaed by the NY Attorney General's Office in connection with an investigation into their practices.
I'd also rather drive my car into a lake than give it to these people if it means I have to hear more of their "One eight seven seven cars for kids!" songs on the radio. Jesus Christ that's the most annoying jingle ever.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:06 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,882,645 times
There are plenty of charities that will take a car donation. The Salvation Army is one, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is another that I have donated them to. There are probably many more. Even churches and small charities can often arrange for an intermediary 'agent' to do pickup and sale etc. for the charity, charging a fee.

The value was determined by some book value (Kelly retail?), adjusted for mileage, condition, etc. I don't recall exactly how this was done. The charity (or their 'agent') will probably gladly explain generally how value is determined and maybe give an estimate based on your description. The actual value you get may depend on the actual condition when the car is picked up and delivered to final destination such as scrap yard, used car dealer, etc.

Many charities that do this can be found by online search.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:52 PM

42,410 posts, read 87,584,508 times
It is my impression (rightly or wrongly) that charitable organizations that accept old cars as donations simply tow them to junk yards and get the fifty bucks for them. Unless the car is in unusually good condition and can be repaired and resold as a used car.

For this reason, when I have a used-up car, I put the word out that it will be given to anyone who needs a car as is, or can get it fixed without paying the going shop labor rate.

There are people pretty desperate for something that runs, and I'd rather give it to them, than to a junk yard. I don't have any taxable income, so the tax receipt is worthless to me.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:54 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,126,699 times
I don't think kids should drive. This so-called charity is a public nuisance and endangerment.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:13 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,555,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I don't think kids should drive. This so-called charity is a public nuisance and endangerment.
Right up there with the guns for toys program. I never did quite understand the rationale behind that one...

Old 12-25-2011, 06:08 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,384,812 times
Rules changed in 2005 for tax deductions and cars.

So in 2005, the IRS changed the rule. From then on, if your car is valued at more than $500, the deduction is limited to the charity's actual selling price. The donor must attach a statement of sale to the tax return in order to receive the deduction. (The charity is obligated to provide the statement within 30 days.) You are not entitled to know the deduction amount before donating your car.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:32 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,801,563 times
I wouldn't do it. I read in various charities' info/website/pamphlet that they will give you an assessed value of UP TO 500 bucks. BFD. A deduction on $500 bucks? Who needs that? Even at the highest tax bracket, that saves you only a few dollars.

You could make more money selling the car or parting it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive