Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2008, 01:29 PM

484 posts, read 2,211,827 times

Advertisements

As you guys may have read my recent posts ive been looking for a car.

Right now there is a 94 evo im looking at.
and it is RHD, imported from japan.
I live in CA and he says its already registered legally in CA.

Only thing is that he said there is no carfax for it as its from japan.
is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 05:05 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,260,138 times
With a '94, are you looking at the car with a thorough pre-buy inspection or depending upon a CarFax report to make your buying decision? With a 14 year old car, condition as presented trumps any documentation that the seller may have.

Have you checked with your insurance company about the costs of coverage on this car? Have you actually verified the CA registration and compliance?

Lastly, do you have RHD driving experience in fast/dense traffic, such as the CA freeways? For some folks, it's a hazardous experience and dangerous. Even at 55 mph in England, my wife was a menace on the road with RHD cars and the unfamilliar places you need to look for lane changes, traffic round a bout mergers/exits, and pedestrians .... and she's a good driver here and used to the right front seat for controls as a pilot. But in my Morgan 4+4 RHD here, she couldn't drive it safely in traffic.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:32 PM

484 posts, read 2,211,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
With a '94, are you looking at the car with a thorough pre-buy inspection or depending upon a CarFax report to make your buying decision? With a 14 year old car, condition as presented trumps any documentation that the seller may have.

Have you checked with your insurance company about the costs of coverage on this car? Have you actually verified the CA registration and compliance?

Lastly, do you have RHD driving experience in fast/dense traffic, such as the CA freeways? For some folks, it's a hazardous experience and dangerous. Even at 55 mph in England, my wife was a menace on the road with RHD cars and the unfamilliar places you need to look for lane changes, traffic round a bout mergers/exits, and pedestrians .... and she's a good driver here and used to the right front seat for controls as a pilot. But in my Morgan 4+4 RHD here, she couldn't drive it safely in traffic.
hey sunspirit, thanks for the reply.
to be honest i was looking for used cars and this came up on CL and so i was interested as its in my budget with low miles.
Usually when looking at used cars i check the VIN # through carfax first and then test drive it and check it out for dings and dents and maybe take it to a mechanic if im not sure about the car.
When i asked the guy for the VIN #, he said japanese cars are not in carfax, so thats why i asked here if they do as im not sure.
Before I check with insurance, and veryify the CA registration I wanted to see the history on car thus my question.

I am japanese, and like to brag that I am pretty comfortable weaving through traffic and the likes and just general road driving so I am sure I can drive RHD with ease other then my left hand is now shifting the gears.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:13 AM

7,004 posts, read 21,360,389 times
Make sure it is CA legit. I knew of someone who bought a Skyline R32 RHD supposedly CA ready, the car got impounded for being ilegal to drive. So make sure, contact CHP and make all the necessary calls before you go ahead and buy this car.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:17 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,386,961 times
Yeah, in my experience, it's very difficult to import a car legally from Japan, so I would definaltey verify that it's legally registered.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:27 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,742,759 times
First question that comes to mind is . . . WHY?

As for driving a RHD vehicle . . . naturally it would be easier in Japan or the UK than it would be in California.

Also, in addition to California requirements, does it meet all Federal requirements?

Another point to consider, what may be a Good Deal when buying may very well be a NIGHTMARE when selling in the future.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:36 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,590,236 times
Can you get parts for this car?

I say look for something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive