Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:44 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I know, why don't you drive it till it runs out of gas, then come back and report. But carry some gas in your truck.
And be prepared to spend big bucks on a new electric fuel pump that burned out, plus the tow charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 03:21 PM

147 posts, read 371,342 times
When I had my 2.3L Mazda3, I'd usually only get around 300 miles to a tank, and I drove pretty conservatively(roughly 27-28mpg). Based on that, getting 270 out of a 2.0i is realistic, particularly if you have a heavier foot. I know other people with the same car as me who would get 22-23mpg all because they were heavy on the pedals (gas and brakes).

Old 10-09-2014, 07:38 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Is there a standard, or does it vary by make and model?

I drive a Mazda 3i (2.0L) if it helps.
It typically depends on the car...

Old 10-09-2014, 07:47 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Is there a standard, or does it vary by make and model?

I drive a Mazda 3i (2.0L) if it helps.
Ever read the owner' manual. If you don't have it, you should get one. I say this because your question is a basic one and that points to not knowing what other basic things about the car you might not know but should.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,070 times
I have a Honda Accord LX 2005 im at 50 miles after the yellow low fuel indicator light came on,im going to keep pushing it to see how many more miles I can get...

Old 02-18-2016, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 931 times
i would try milesaftergaslight.com, a website that shows you how to calculate the miles you have left when the gas light comes on for any car. just plug in your cars numbers and it even calculates it for you

Old 02-19-2016, 07:01 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
It's pretty silly to me to run until the gas light comes on. Fuel pumps require submersion in fuel to help cool them off. You'll shorten the life of the pump by constantly running it until the light comes on. You're also gambling that your gauge is completely accurate and that you'll be near a gas station when you get to a point that you have to stop.

A good friend used to complain constantly that their car was a POS because he had to put a fuel pump in it about once per year. One day I was riding with him and his light was on and the gauge was almost hovering over the E. When I mentioned it he said "Eh, the dash says I have about 30 miles to empty so we're good". I had a mechanic explain to him the overheating. Once he began refilling at about 1/8 tank or so he stopped having problems.

My wife used to follow the same logic until she ran out of gas on the interstate. Called me in a panic saying the message center told her she still had 15 miles to empty. Obviously not... it was a pain to re-prime the fuel system and get it to crank. I've convinced her to fill back up at 1/4 tank.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:09 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
it is utter stupidity to run a vehicle until the fuel warning light comes on, when you pour in the new fuel it will stir up all the crud in the bottom of the tank, I did this over 30 years ago and it was a heck of a job to restart the vehicle, I've never done it since, I now refuel when the tank indicator gets to half.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:18 AM

17,202 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Depends on the car:
My 2006 Maxima read 1 mile to empty once when I was driving home from work in Tampa (92 miles) and I'd forgotten my wallet at home, so I chanced it. Figured if I ran out of gas, I could call AAA or my wife to help me out.
I made it home. As soon as I got back, I went to fill up. Car took 19.8 gallons. It's a 20 gallon tank. So I had about 100 miles left when the car read 0 miles to Empty.

My Aviator, on the other hand, only gave me about 50 miles before stalling (similar foolish situation.)

Haven't tried it on our newer vehicles. I just assume it has about 3 gallons left when it's on E, though.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:19 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
it is utter stupidity to run a vehicle until the fuel warning light comes on, when you pour in the new fuel it will stir up all the crud in the bottom of the tank, I did this over 30 years ago and it was a heck of a job to restart the vehicle, I've never done it since, I now refuel when the tank indicator gets to half.
So many who think their opinions are fact but I guess we all have one...

I don't know if it's bad for the fuel pump or will swill all the sediments undoubtedly lining the bottom of every car or truck gastank but I have been driving for over 30 years and ever since cars started to have the light on them (or better yet the Miles to Empty) I almost always run my fuel tank right to empty. Every car I have (3 currently) have been run right to Zero before. I have never run out of gas, and never replaced the fuel pump or engine,.

I don't think my way is better than filling up with 1/4 or whatever but I also don't believe I am doing my car any harm whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive