Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:27 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,830,512 times

Advertisements

What is the service interval for the fuel filter? I am looking at the Edmunds.com maintenance schedule for my truck ('04 nissan frontier xe 4cyl) and it does not have the fuel filter listed at any interval at all! Doing a search on the net I found results saying to replace it at 100k but some others suggest 30k lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:09 PM

17,237 posts, read 57,244,536 times
No information in the owner's manual? I know the overall level of information in the owner's manuals for newer cars has got worse over the last couple of decades, but I would think this would be listed.

For many fuel injected German cars, a new fuel filter is recommended every 30K miles.

FWIW when I changed fuel filters on a couple of neglected Japanese cars, both of them picked up a bit of MPG.

In any case unless it's a real bear to R&R, I would say do it every 30K if you can't find any more authoritative answer.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:51 PM

158 posts, read 908,646 times
For Nissan I believe it's 30,000miles...BUT I would call the manufacturer and find out for sure, they'd know best.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:05 AM

554 posts, read 1,748,990 times
Many of the trucks with a "lifetime" fuel filter should be changed around 100K. Why do you think it needs to be changed? Are you losing mpg or power or just trying to keep ahead on maintenance?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 PM

886 posts, read 5,725,876 times
A lot can depend on where you live. If you live in a dry climate then you can get away with changing it less often. I would not go more than 30K though. A $20 fuel filter is a hell of a lot cheaper than a fuel pump.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:05 PM

34,172 posts, read 83,282,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
Why do you think it needs to be changed?
Because when he put the Lucas fuel additive elixer in the gas tank nothing different happened...
so therefore *something* else must be needed...
and he already owns the tools needed to R&R the fuel filter.

Surely this isn't the first time you've dealt with this issue... is it?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,867,723 times
The correct answer per Nissan is 30,000 miles or 24 months whichever comes first.

Have an 03 so this came out of the haynes manual per Nissan.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:50 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,830,512 times
ok, I researched this and it seems like the fuel filter is not a normal service item. It's located in the tank and not normally changed. This is the advice from guys at clubfrontier.org. Apparently the fuel filter is integrated into the fuel pump as a single unit so when the pump fails that's when the filter gets replaced as well.

The edmunds maintenance schedule does not have it on there at all.

I did an oil change at Jiffy Lube a few months ago and these were their exact words "Sir your fuel filter is getting old and it needs to be changed, it's still the original one" rascals

Old 10-14-2011, 05:10 PM

17,237 posts, read 57,244,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
ok, I researched this and it seems like the fuel filter is not a normal service item. It's located in the tank and not normally changed. This is the advice from guys at clubfrontier.org. Apparently the fuel filter is integrated into the fuel pump as a single unit so when the pump fails that's when the filter gets replaced as well.

I did an oil change at Jiffy Lube a few months ago and these were their exact words "Sir your fuel filter is getting old and it needs to be changed, it's still the original one" rascals
Dude, seriously, DIY or go to a real shop. You can search on the name of any of these "stupid lube" outfits and "lawsuit" or "disaster" and get plenty of stories. And what do you want to bet they would have either charged you for doing nothing, or damaged something, had you taken them up on their "upselling" offer?

Gotta love designs like this, like I keep on posting, newer is not necessarily better when it comes to cars, you should have done your homework before you bought this "fright pig" with an integrated fuel pump and filter.

You could have done worse, certain BMW "PZEV" cars have the filter and pump integrated WITH THE FUEL TANK and you are obliged to change out the whole damn thing to the tune of about $3000 when you need a new fuel filter...

Old 10-14-2011, 06:36 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,938,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

My 2006 Camry's fuel filter is also located inside the gas tank and Toyota has no replacement schedule.

My 92 Accord has the transmission filter located inside the transmission--no way to replace without transmission being disassembled--so I never replaced it. Still going strong at 230K miles.

Hope the same is true for my 2006 Camry or it will be a big job, although not as bad as disassembling a transmission to replace a filter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive