Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 08:17 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,864,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
ok, I researched this and it seems like the fuel filter is not a normal service item. It's located in the tank and not normally changed. This is the advice from guys at clubfrontier.org. Apparently the fuel filter is integrated into the fuel pump as a single unit so when the pump fails that's when the filter gets replaced as well.

The edmunds maintenance schedule does not have it on there at all.

I did an oil change at Jiffy Lube a few months ago and these were their exact words "Sir your fuel filter is getting old and it needs to be changed, it's still the original one" rascals
Bad information, so let me set you straight. Your 04 is a first generation frontier(98-04 models, I have a 03). When you post on clubfrontier keep your questions in the 1st generation forum or you will get bad info like you did. If you post in the 4 banger forum you may have someone with a 2nd generation 4banger 05+ give you info. They are 2 different engines with completely different set ups. We both have the KA24DE 4 cylinder, no they aren't the fastest in the world,but are about as bullet proof a 4 cylinder motor as you can buy in a truck. Know a few folks with 250,000+ miles with little to no problems. The fuel filter is located under the passenger side of the truck agaist the rail. Do yourself a big favor and go to Auto Zone and buy a Haynes repair manual for the frontier around 20$'s, make sure you get the one for the 1998 thru 2004 models(72031). Go to page 7-1 for the maintanance schedule to see what you need to do for maintance, I'll bet the guy at jiffy lube was spot on as he was able to look at your OEM filter that's been in your truck from day one, as he was changing your oil. If your truck is loping or acting a little slugish and your at 70,000+ plus miles I know you changed the 5$ pcv valve. The trucks don't require much, but yea they need a few thangs here and there, your gona have to repack your front bearings, dump your transmission fluid and change the transmission filter, put a new air filter in it from time to time just look at the manual, they are fairly easy to work on if you wana do it yourself. Get the manual it's well worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 02:25 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,864,351 times
Fuel filter replacement - how often-dscn0073-mobile-.jpg

Fuel filter replacement - how often-dscn0074-mobile-.jpg

Fuel filter replacement - how often-dscn0072-mobile-.jpgJust pull the fuel pump fuse, remove the gas cap, crank the truck till it stalls out, thus removing all presure. Then just change the filter, about 10$'s at your local auto parts store.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:40 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,813,242 times
interesting, thanks a lot for that info waitingtundra. So, if I depressurize the system and remove the fuel filter I will not get fuel start spewing out of the line right? Does it need any specific torquing when putting back on? I have a torque wrench but I think it's out of wack since it's old.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:58 PM

158 posts, read 908,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
interesting, thanks a lot for that info waitingtundra. So, if I depressurize the system and remove the fuel filter I will not get fuel start spewing out of the line right? Does it need any specific torquing when putting back on? I have a torque wrench but I think it's out of wack since it's old.
Some of the fuel will still come out of the line when you take it off, but its not going to be pressurized. Also, yea there are always specs on the torque, but if you don't have a crows foot torque wrench, which you would need in this case since it's inline filter, just get it hand tight and it should be fine...that's what I had to do on my truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive