Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 05:49 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,213,532 times

Advertisements

We had a '69 4 door Nova with a 6 cylinder and a 3 on the tree. It did not have power steering or power brakes. Pretty basic. Not my favorite car. The defrost didn't work in it. Had to scrape the inside of the windshield. I don't think we ever drove it over about 40 mph as it never left town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 08:29 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,026,172 times
Nova was a lousy name back then, and it still is.

Mfg's need to get back to using names though, instead of numbers, and initials.

Years ago, when Lincoln was headed for the toilet, I said, on a Lincoln Forum, Lincoln needs to come up with a dramatically new vehicle, like none other being currently produced, and along with the change should come a new name.

I like this name, then,and I still do.
The name could be used for what should be a top of the line vehicle.

Try this on for size," Chevrolet Colinard", instead of tacky Malibu.
I thought it was a great name for a new Lincoln," Lincoln Colinard."
Bmw Colinard, Lexus Colinard, the use is endless.
It just sounds rich.

Nova? I don't think so.

Bob.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:20 PM

4,702 posts, read 3,045,017 times
Default re: I liked the 73 and 74 Nova styling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
especially when ordered with as many custom options as possible making it look like a personal luxury car. I liked the grilles. could you get power windows on a Nova? probably not i guess
Yes indeed.... elegant styling, mechanical simplicity, just-right size. What's not to like?

Old 09-04-2017, 02:00 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,026,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Yes indeed.... elegant styling, mechanical simplicity, just-right size. What's not to like?
The name.

Bob.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:34 AM

17,437 posts, read 22,194,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Nova was a lousy name back then, and it still is.

A big problem is No Va in Spanish translates to "No Go"

Not good for a car!

Old 09-04-2017, 09:20 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,311,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Not good for a car!
Not really. That's an urban legend, probably started by someone with just enough knowledge of the Spanish language to make himself look bad.

Technically, yes, "va" by itself in Spanish means "goes" in the third person. He goes, she goes, it goes. But unlike English, Spanish words don't jump from one meaning to another, so no Spanish-speaking person is going to assume that "No va" means "The car won't run".

And besides, as one word "nova" means the same thing in Spanish that it does in English.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:56 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,386,190 times
Do any of you think GM will bring back the Nova?

The sleeper 60's muscle car? Not a chance.
The 80's crappy econobox? Probably.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:58 PM

24,534 posts, read 26,085,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Not good for a car!
Ah no, those false BS needs to stop.

https://www.thoughtco.com/chevy-nova...dnt-go-3078090

Old 09-05-2017, 10:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,645,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I thought the old school Nova's were sweet rides.
Yes. They will try to capitalize on a name. It's going to be a front wheel drive econobox with a 4 cylinder engine. Just like putting the Super Sport badge on that front drive Impala abortion they sold for a while. Freaking pitiful

I may not like Dodge but at least they got some RWD cars with balls. So. a Charger at least has the nuts to back up that name. Yes I know dodge had a fwd pos back in the 80s called Charger

Old 09-07-2017, 07:56 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,841,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't think they have room in their lineup for another car right now unless they want to compete in the RWD family sedan segment again. There's on-again/off-again rumors about them doing just that, either for police cruisers only or for police and civilian use, but the latter is harder to make the case for in the face of tightening emissions and fuel economy regulations. But if they do, that would be a good use of the Nova name I suppose. But knowing GM, if they do bring back the Nova name it will probably get slapped on some FWD 4-door family sedan that doesn't deserve the name. Not that the name can be sullied any more than by putting it on the back of a Corolla like they did a couple decades ago.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive