Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:36 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,026,172 times

Advertisements

More often than not, in the luxury models that offered valour seats back then, had power lumbar support built right into the seats.
I can't think of one that didn't.
Like I said,and bears repeating, after looking at the latest pictures posted, the new interiors look glitzy, but the quality of the product is missing.
They ALL look like cheap plastic, which indeed they are.
Someone stated above, "these interiors are what the people want."
That is bogus.
These interiors are what the car makers WANT you to want.
They are cheaper in quality so that the makers save money, while still charging the big bucks.
Ever heard of "brainwashing"?
That is exactly what is going on in the auto industry.
They are NOT building products the public wants, they are telling you "this is what we want you to drive."
Wit no other options, you have to buy what is produced, and seeing no variety of choices you are left with "gee, this interior kicks, I gotta have this ".
That is because you have been brainwashed into believing this is the way it is, and unfortunately, this is the case today.
Buyers today have no concept of what REAL comfort is behind the wheel, and they have little or no options
So you have a choice, buy that buggy with the cheap plastic interior, or go without.
Man that's sad.
Bob.

Last edited by CALGUY; 06-22-2011 at 12:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 11:52 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,367,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
More often than not, in the luxury models that offered valour seats back then, had power lumbar support built right into the seats.
Like I said,and bears repeating, after looking at the latest pictures posted, the new interiors look glitzy, but the quality of the product is missing.
That is bogus.
They are cheaper in quality so that the makers save money, while still charging the big bucks.
They are NOT building products the public wants, they are telling you "this is what we want you to drive."
Wit no other options, you have to buy what is produced, and seeing no variety of choices you are left with "gee, this interior kicks, I gotta have this ".
That is because you have been brainwashed into believing this is the way it is, and unfortunately, this is the case today.
Buyers today have no concept of what REAL comfort is behind the wheel, and they have little or no options
So you have a choice, but that buggy with the cheap plastic interior, or go without.
Man that's sad.
Bob.
I couldn't disagree more.

For one, there is plenty of choice, if you venture out of the Kia and Hyundai segment.

Most premium makers, comparable to the luxury brands of the past, almost all offer a wide variety of interiors to shop from, if you researched the matter instead of looking solely at release photos, you'd know that.

In the BMW I posted recently, the materials are predominantly leather (stitched) and aluminium, and the plastics are most certainly not of the cheap variety.

People buy black interiors because they like them, just as some buy cars with wood trim because they like that. And yes, they do still use real wood.

You severely overestimate the power of the auto industry and severely underestimate the power of consumers.

We as buyers have failed cars before and it will surely happen again. The industry has one wish, making money, and to do that they have to make a product that's favorable compared to the competition. Occasionally they fail (and put cheaper plastics to help price), more often than not, that leads to a reduction in sales and poor consumer reports as well as bad press from the motoring journalists.

The one thing I agree with you on is that I do have a choice. I can go with either a buggy plastic interior, or I can go with a leather clad one, Aluminium or Steel, Carbon Fiber or wide varieties of wood. Dark headliner or light, blue or green, cloth or leather seats in a wide variety of colors.

Go to BMW.com and spec out a car, it seems you'll be surprised at what's available, and here's a little inside info for you: The website do not include the BMW Individual option on their "build your own" feature. Enter into that world and you can have exactly what you want, built specifically to your specs.

EDIT: And for the record, I've been in the front seat of many a classic, including Cadillacs and Bentleys. The softness of the bench seats in a Cadillac for instance, is not something I'd consider comfort behind the wheel. there's no support, comparative to a proper bucket.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:13 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,370,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
That is bogus.
So you have a choice, buy that buggy with the cheap plastic interior, or go without.
Man that's sad.
Bob.
I couldn't agree more.

Many people who are buying new cars have never ridden in a big 1960s or 1970s American car. They have no idea how comfortable those cars are/were. If I took some of those people (and some people here on C-D) for a ride in my '69 Fleetwood or '76 Limo, it would really open their eyes.

As for availability and choice, regarding American cars, the variety was much greater in the '70s and earlier.

For example, I have a 2010 Cadillac DTS brochure. There are a grand total of 8 exterior colors available (some of them are not even available on the "platinum" series). No blue available at all. No green. You can get a dark red, but not medium (bright) red. No brown available, either.

For the interior, you get a "whopping" 5 choices in color, all of them either black or various shades of beige or gray. No blue, white, green, red, yellow, etc. Pretty sad. The STS in the same brochure has a choice of 9 exterior colors and only 3 interior colors are available... black, beige and gray.

Now compare with a 1968 Cadillac. A total of 21 exterior colors, 5 vinyl top options and an incredible 147 interior upholstery and color combinations. Not only that, you could actually order a new Cadillac back then in a past color. For instance, you could order a brand new 1969 Cadillac done in 1964 green or 1959 red.

And it wasn't just the high-priced cars, either. A 1966 Plymouth was available in 17 exterior colors and there were an amazing 22 models to choose from (convertibles in various series, wagons, 2- and 4-door sedans and hardtops).

Old 06-22-2011, 04:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,963,134 times
Are we returning to Henry Ford's Philosophy? "You can have any color you like. As long as it is Black. "

Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Are we returning to Henry Ford's Philosophy? "You can have any color you like. As long as it is Black. "
It seems to be.
Or if you want something at extra cost, the asking price is ridiculous. Like several thousand dollars for optional rims.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:17 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,721,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I couldn't agree more.

Many people who are buying new cars have never ridden in a big 1960s or 1970s American car. They have no idea how comfortable those cars are/were. If I took some of those people (and some people here on C-D) for a ride in my '69 Fleetwood or '76 Limo, it would really open their eyes.

As for availability and choice, regarding American cars, the variety was much greater in the '70s and earlier.

For example, I have a 2010 Cadillac DTS brochure. There are a grand total of 8 exterior colors available (some of them are not even available on the "platinum" series). No blue available at all. No green. You can get a dark red, but not medium (bright) red. No brown available, either.

For the interior, you get a "whopping" 5 choices in color, all of them either black or various shades of beige or gray. No blue, white, green, red, yellow, etc. Pretty sad. The STS in the same brochure has a choice of 9 exterior colors and only 3 interior colors are available... black, beige and gray.

Now compare with a 1968 Cadillac. A total of 21 exterior colors, 5 vinyl top options and an incredible 147 interior upholstery and color combinations. Not only that, you could actually order a new Cadillac back then in a past color. For instance, you could order a brand new 1969 Cadillac done in 1964 green or 1959 red.

And it wasn't just the high-priced cars, either. A 1966 Plymouth was available in 17 exterior colors and there were an amazing 22 models to choose from (convertibles in various series, wagons, 2- and 4-door sedans and hardtops).
I have a hard enough time making up my mind from 10-12 exterior color choices, it'd take me a year to decide from 20+ color choices. Interior color? I want either black or gray, I think any other color looks fairly ridiculous. Saw a Corvette with a red/red color combo, looks gaudy to me. If I went with grey colored seats, I like a black contrast in the car (door panels, headliner, etc).

Why would someone want blue or green leather like in the 1960's? Is it really necessary to have 5 shades of red? I can see having two shades (bright fire-engine red and a more muted, dark red) but not some ridiculous number.

I like your old sedans Fleet, they're quite attractive but I also have to disagree on the seats. I will admit I HAVEN'T been in vehicles such as yours but I find most modern-day seats quite comfortable.

My F-150 Platinum edition has WONDERFUL seats, enough cushion but still have lumbar support for my back. My parents owned a Cadillac DTS as well as a Lexus LS460 and both of those vehicles had very comfortable seats- I could ride in either vehicle for hours without the need to stretch. Mom's current Cadillac CTS Coupe is attractive but the seats aren't as comfortable as their previous vehicles, the lumbar doesn't adjust quite far enough for me.

NOW if I were a passenger or in the backseat, I wouldn't mind having seats I can sink into but as a driver...I want something with support.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I have a hard enough time making up my mind from 10-12 exterior color choices, it'd take me a year to decide from 20+ color choices. Interior color? I want either black or gray, I think any other color looks fairly ridiculous. Saw a Corvette with a red/red color combo, looks gaudy to me. If I went with grey colored seats, I like a black contrast in the car (door panels, headliner, etc).
You may want either black or gray, but many others prefer other colors. I've always wanted a car done in dark blue. And I saw a '66 Plymouth Sport Fury... white with a red interior. That combination really looked good to me, certainly more interesting then a dull gray.

Quote:
Why would someone want blue or green leather like in the 1960's? Is it really necessary to have 5 shades of red? I can see having two shades (bright fire-engine red and a more muted, dark red) but not some ridiculous number.
I think the choice should be available, though. You may not think it's necessary to have 5 shades of red, but for someone who wants a red car can have a choice in the shade he/she wants. Certainly better than not having any choice at all! I saw a nice '69 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (online) for sale with dark blue leather seats... looked very good to me; it really caught my eye.

Quote:
I like your old sedans Fleet, they're quite attractive but I also have to disagree on the seats. I will admit I HAVEN'T been in vehicles such as yours but I find most modern-day seats quite comfortable.
I think you would be pleasantly surprised with the seats on my cars. It is possible for a seat to be soft and yet offer some support. I find most modern-day seats much too firm.

Quote:
My F-150 Platinum edition has WONDERFUL seats, enough cushion but still have lumbar support for my back. My parents owned a Cadillac DTS as well as a Lexus LS460 and both of those vehicles had very comfortable seats- I could ride in either vehicle for hours without the need to stretch. Mom's current Cadillac CTS Coupe is attractive but the seats aren't as comfortable as their previous vehicles, the lumbar doesn't adjust quite far enough for me.
As mentioned, I've ridden in a friend's 2010 Cadillac DTS. The seats, for me, are (too) firm. I got in expecting to sink into the seat, like in my Cadillacs and it was more like sitting on an upholstered park bench. Kind of disappointing, especially in a "big" Cadillac.

Quote:
NOW if I were a passenger or in the backseat, I wouldn't mind having seats I can sink into but as a driver...I want something with support.
Again, with the proper design, it is possible to have both. Remember, many '60s/'70s cars could be ordered with bucket seats.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:31 PM

24,532 posts, read 26,085,445 times
Quote:
I know what you're talking about. Is it even possible to find a new car with soft seats? I rode in a friend's 2010 Cadillac DTS (the "big, luxury" Cadillac) a few times. I got in expecting to sink into the seat and it was more like sitting on a park bench. Almost no "give." I like soft, comfortable seats in a luxury car! I also know what you're talking about with the velour material... the rear seat in my '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Limo is done in a nice crushed velour...
My observations at car shows are the at older obese people like these interiors or like paintings from TJ.
Might make a nice painting you can get for a few $$.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
My observations at car shows are the at older obese people like these interiors or like paintings from TJ.
Might make a nice painting you can get for a few $$.
Not necessarily. I see plenty of young, non-obese people looking at and admiring the classic big luxury cars. My 18-year-old Niece told me she would like to own a classic car someday. And she is far from the only teenager who would want to.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:25 PM

24,532 posts, read 26,085,445 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. I see plenty of young, non-obese people looking at and admiring the classic big luxury cars. My 18-year-old Niece told me she would like to own a classic car someday. And she is far from the only teenager who would want to.
You need to go to car shows that are not at some cheap Sat night burger joints and go to a place with some class. Try here. We will be here.

22nd Annual Stater Bros. Route 66 Rendezvous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive