Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:34 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times

Advertisements

LOL Bob that takes me back!!! My best friends' first car (in about 1999) was a 1979 Lincoln Continental Mark V Collectors Series with the 400ci motor. You're right, the car was so ridiculously comfortable it was almost sickening. I can also remember the hidden compartment in the center console, and when we first opened it up we came across what looked like velour panties....Upon closer inspection, they weren't! Instead, it was a velour steering wheel cover that matched the interior, so not only could your butt be touching the soft velvety cloth, but you hands could as well...Was also impressed with the Fuel Economy/Miles to Empty gauge, the one touch moonroof, power windows/locks, vacuum operated hideaway headlamps, and turbine inspired wheels.

For performance, he ended up replacing the factory 2 bbl carb with a Holley 4bbl, aftermarket intake manifold, long tube big block headers, true dual exhaust and glass packed mufflers....eventually it was wired up with a set of dumps prior to the rear wheel, which made it the LOUDEST 79' collectors series around...It also significantly improved the performance of the 19' behemoth.

PS - Viking...i LOVE the stitch work on the seats in that Mercedes!!! It's sick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 09:37 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
While I am not a fan of Mercedes, I think they win the 'everyday car' category for plush.
Caddy ain't bad, either.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:15 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
These newer models are full of glitz, but still look very cheap.
By cheap, I don't mean less expensive, but lacking in quality.
Even the ones that appear to be leather look like cheap vinyl coverings.
Now, let's get back to when interiors made a statement, and that statement was " plush"
This is the interior of my 1978 Continental mkv Diamond Jubilee edition.
The velour not only feels like you are sitting on your living room recliner, but added a touch of class to an already classy car.
The plastic look of today's interiors leaves much to be desired.
Sure the dash designs of the newer cars are somewhat attractive, but all that is lost in the elcheapo seating designs and coverings, as well as the crappy cheapo door panels.

Bob.
I know what you're talking about. Is it even possible to find a new car with soft seats? I rode in a friend's 2010 Cadillac DTS (the "big, luxury" Cadillac) a few times. I got in expecting to sink into the seat and it was more like sitting on a park bench. Almost no "give." I like soft, comfortable seats in a luxury car! I also know what you're talking about with the velour material... the rear seat in my '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Limo is done in a nice crushed velour...

Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Respectfully, that car interior looks like something one would pick up at a flea market to give to someone as a joke, in my opinion.

I want my living room recliner in my living room, not my car.

As far as seating design go, I want it to be supportive, not a couch. And I fail to see what's so undesirable with these designs:
But it was nice when there was a choice. Years ago, you could buy a car with seats like a living room couch or you could pick a car with a firmer seat. These days, they are all firm! (Not to mention the lack of color availability.)

Also, years ago you could choose between a bench seat or buckets. Very few cars today have a bench seat with no console which means there are very few 6-passenger cars available today.

BTW, the dashboard in the 3rd photo you posted looks kind of plain. Compare with this...

Old 06-21-2011, 11:23 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
Lexus

http://cdn.lexusenthusiast.com/images/weblog/09-04-16-lexus-gs-passionate-black-interior.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
But it was nice when there was a choice. Years ago, you could buy a car with seats like a living room couch or you could pick a car with a firmer seat. These days, they are all firm! (Not to mention the lack of color availability.)

Also, years ago you could choose between a bench seat or buckets. Very few cars today have a bench seat with no console which means there are very few 6-passenger cars available today.

BTW, the dashboard in the 3rd photo you posted looks kind of plain. Compare with this...
Well, when I sat down in a Lexus IS250, I certainly found that seat to be very accommodating (softer than Mercedes and BMW for instance), but when it comes to car seats, things have evolved. Very soft seats provide little or no support for the back, particularly on the lumbar section, the result is that the lover back in particular is strained on longer drives, especially on uneven surfaces.

Modern seats can be classified either by sportiness, prestige or economy and you certainly get what you pay for. There are many a poor seat design still in production, but overall, they provide far superior lumbar support, something that's increasingly important as we spend more and more of our time behind the wheel of a car.

If there was a market for the variety you seek, it would have still been there. Car makers all seek to make as much of a profit as possible. IF they could make a lot of money, tapping into a market segment, by providing a car with bench seats, they would do so (and to an extent they do, in Vans/work cars), but most people do not want that. They want what BMW does, what Mercedes and Cadillac does, they want sport, they want lumbar support and adjustability, that is of course unfortunate for the minority who would want such a product, but that's how a capitalist economy works. It's not financially viable to make such a venture.

That said, if you have issues finding a seat you find comfortable, I'd suggest any and all Lexus models, the higher end BMW's, especially the 5 and 7 series as well as Mercedes and Jaguar. They all have seats that give ample support and doesn't get uncomfortable.

Where my butt is generally numb after more than 3-4 hours in my Subaru (seats aren't made for people of my stature), I can drive well over 10 hours in a sports seat equipped BMW and get out feeling just as fresh as I did getting in.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Lexus
That first photo (of the Lexus)... not much room for the feet! The console really intrudes in foot space.

I prefer cars which have plenty of room for the feet (and legs). Such as...

Old 06-22-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Well, when I sat down in a Lexus IS250, I certainly found that seat to be very accommodating (softer than Mercedes and BMW for instance), but when it comes to car seats, things have evolved. Very soft seats provide little or no support for the back, particularly on the lumbar section, the result is that the lover back in particular is strained on longer drives, especially on uneven surfaces.
A Lexus IS250 may have a "soft" seat, but I doubt it's "soft" as defined in '60s and '70s terms. It is possible to have soft seats with lumbar support... my '66 Plymouth as that. And the seats in my two Cadillacs have ample cushioning at the lower back.

Quote:
Modern seats can be classified either by sportiness, prestige or economy and you certainly get what you pay for. There are many a poor seat design still in production, but overall, they provide far superior lumbar support, something that's increasingly important as we spend more and more of our time behind the wheel of a car.
My '95 Lincoln Town Car has a relatively soft seat and has power adjustable lumbar support. (Both split front seats have the control.)

Quote:
If there was a market for the variety you seek, it would have still been there. Car makers all seek to make as much of a profit as possible. IF they could make a lot of money, tapping into a market segment, by providing a car with bench seats, they would do so (and to an extent they do, in Vans/work cars), but most people do not want that. They want what BMW does, what Mercedes and Cadillac does, they want sport, they want lumbar support and adjustability, that is of course unfortunate for the minority who would want such a product, but that's how a capitalist economy works. It's not financially viable to make such a venture.

That said, if you have issues finding a seat you find comfortable, I'd suggest any and all Lexus models, the higher end BMW's, especially the 5 and 7 series as well as Mercedes and Jaguar. They all have seats that give ample support and doesn't get uncomfortable.
I don't have issues looking for a seat I would find comfortable... all four of my cars already have comfortable seats. Big and soft.

Quote:
Where my butt is generally numb after more than 3-4 hours in my Subaru (seats aren't made for people of my stature), I can drive well over 10 hours in a sports seat equipped BMW and get out feeling just as fresh as I did getting in.
I rarely drive more than 3-4 hours. My dad used to drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. That was a 3-4 hour trip and he never complained about the seat. I was a passenger in a friend's '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance with pillow-type seats and a 20-mile drive in the mountains felt like a 2-mile drive... I didn't want to get out of the car!

Old 06-22-2011, 07:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
can you post those
Buick Regal:

Buick LaCrosse:

Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Respectfully, that car interior looks like something one would pick up at a flea market to give to someone as a joke, in my opinion.

I want my living room recliner in my living room, not my car.

As far as seating design go, I want it to be supportive, not a couch. And I fail to see what's so undesirable with these designs:
Very well said. I couldn't agree more.

Quote:

All great points!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive