Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,589,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Not really, shade tree modified cars generally aren't very collectible. There aren't any 3 rotor swap RX7's made by someone like a Yenko or Saleen, etc. While they are cool projects and definitely have a following, I doubt that cars with swapped motors will be very collectible. Just look at the 3rd gen Camaro's and Fox Mustang's I mentioned. Many of them had motor swaps and extensive work done to them to make them race cars. However, the ones that are holding value and people are starting to see as collector's are the bone stock ones, or ones that have been returned to stock condition.

I venture that 3 rotor RX7's will be about as collectible as LS1 swapped RX7's. Basically, cool car, but they won't have much inherent value as a collector's item.
The SCCA Solo2 Super Street Mod champ for 4 years in a row drives a 3 rotor RX7 (Street Mod is a 2 rotor RX7) so I believe it has garnered some respect in the biggest car community in the US. Its probably the most potent non crossbreed swap out there. If the older generation collect Cobras with different engine options then another generation will have something similar. Also racecars even streetracers arent excluded from being a collectible. for example, a stock looking Honda Civic with TypeR motor is a DREAM setup "shoulda come from the factory like that".
remember, asians make pretty good money now, so the the collector culture has changed already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:24 AM

79,378 posts, read 61,502,567 times
I'm curious what will happen to many of the collectible markets, especially cars over the next couple decades.

Most of the buyers are older guys, retired and let's face it this is the wealthiest generation. Future retirees aren't going to be quite as cash flush as the current crop and i suspect that's going to put some restraint on collectibles.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:15 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,164,277 times
I've wondered that too, but I look forward to it in that I'll have a chance to afford more classics. I've always liked classics, so contemporary cars didn't strike with me as much. It will be interesting to watch as times progress and people look for a car from when they were growing up.

As for other collectibles, I think sports collectibles will always be around since sports will be. As for other stuff I think a lot will get lost as people won't be able to relate to it as much.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:51 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,960,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
The SCCA Solo2 Super Street Mod champ for 4 years in a row drives a 3 rotor RX7 (Street Mod is a 2 rotor RX7) so I believe it has garnered some respect in the biggest car community in the US. Its probably the most potent non crossbreed swap out there. If the older generation collect Cobras with different engine options then another generation will have something similar. Also racecars even streetracers arent excluded from being a collectible. for example, a stock looking Honda Civic with TypeR motor is a DREAM setup "shoulda come from the factory like that".
remember, asians make pretty good money now, so the the collector culture has changed already
The main difference is that the Cobra was always a rare, low-volume car... RX7 FC's were pretty common, so it's doubtful they'll ever fetch the same price as a Cobra. The closest thing we'd have in the US market from Japan in terms of sales volumes would probably be the NSX.

You're definitely right though on the one point... I live in a mostly Asian neighborhood, and very few guys are clamoring to gobble up Camaros or Mustangs. They're already collecting AE86's and FC's and FD's and 240SX's and Supras, plus a host of other cars.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,408,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
LOL, i believe that was Pontiac Fiero. And no, they will never be collectors.
You are absolutely right!!

I was typing "Plymouth" and saying to myself that is not right. So thank you. Brain freeze.

But, sorry, I DO think they'll be collectors items. I'm giving myself credit for not listing one of the "Well, duh's" I've seen here.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-15-2011 at 03:36 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The main difference is that the Cobra was always a rare, low-volume car... RX7 FC's were pretty common, so it's doubtful they'll ever fetch the same price as a Cobra. The closest thing we'd have in the US market from Japan in terms of sales volumes would probably be the NSX.
I was actually refering to Cobra kit cars. They collect those and pay $$ for it.
It's the worst handling car I've ever seen. And the owners act like they brought a Gallardo

Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
I was actually refering to Cobra kit cars. They collect those and pay $$ for it.
It's the worst handling car I've ever seen. And the owners act like they brought a Gallardo
Ah, gotcha.

I get the feeling, though, that the vast bulk of those kits will always be worth more than a tuned FC will be in the future. Again, the Cobra was/is a low-volume niche vehicle that you have to go well out of your way to get your hands on. Even if the FC is faster, handles better, and is generally just 10x more awesome... it'll be stretch to crack $10k on it for at least the next decade or so. Cobras will still trade hands at $30k+, even if it was built on the chassis of a '95 Mustang

That all said, I'd imagine that an FC with a top-shelf 3-rotor or LS/5.0 swap, track suspension, welded chassis, etc etc will pretty much always fetch a higher price than a stock model, unless it's a totally-mint Turbo II with less than 50k on the clock.

And on that... funny thing... I've seen many Cobras over the years, and every single one of them was original, according to their owner... I guess I just have good luck car spotting.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:47 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,485,218 times
Quote:
Ah, gotcha.

I get the feeling, though, that the vast bulk of those kits will always be worth more than a tuned FC will be in the future. Again, the Cobra was/is a low-volume niche vehicle that you have to go well out of your way to get your hands on. Even if the FC is faster, handles better, and is generally just 10x more awesome... it'll be stretch to crack $10k on it for at least the next decade or so. Cobras will still trade hands at $30k+, even if it was built on the chassis of a '95 Mustang
No such thing as a Cobra replica built on a 95 Mustang Chassis.
First off Mustangs are uni-body cars without a frame.
Second Factory Five replica Cobras make a kit that utilizes a lot of Mustang parts, engine, rear end, front suspension pieces. (probably why some think they use a Mustang chassis)
There are dozens of Cobra replica manufacturers each one claiming the better Replica.

Every single Cobra replica sells used for less than it cost to build.( everybody wants a new one)

Having owned one for more than 20 years I know a little about Cobra replicas. They are not nearly as fast as most owners claim. Of course some owners still think they are the fastest cars ever built.

They are not he worst handling cars ever built but they do take a while ( with coaching) to learn how to drive them fast.

Just saying.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
No such thing as a Cobra replica built on a 95 Mustang Chassis.
First off Mustangs are uni-body cars without a frame.
Second Factory Five replica Cobras make a kit that utilizes a lot of Mustang parts, engine, rear end, front suspension pieces. (probably why some think they use a Mustang chassis)
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Ah, gotcha.

That all said, I'd imagine that an FC with a top-shelf 3-rotor or LS/5.0 swap, track suspension, welded chassis, etc etc will pretty much always fetch a higher price than a stock model, unless it's a totally-mint Turbo II with less than 50k on the clock.

And on that... funny thing... I've seen many Cobras over the years, and every single one of them was original, according to their owner... I guess I just have good luck car spotting.
remember, Shelby is just a "tuner" or a shop. we got lots more of those these days and they do even more awesome works. I believe their signature works will be the collectable for the genX. even if its a honda civic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive