Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 05:46 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,731,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Rentals get returned with the same amount of gas they came with. I can't remember when I last got a rental that was anywhere close to full. The last time I rented for work I had to get gas within a couple miles of the rental company for fear of running out of gas.

tured
Unless you rent from a cheapo fly by nite place, this is an incorrect statement. Every rental car company that I have ever rented from has a clause that states the vehicle must be returned with a full tank with the reciept that it was done within a few miles of the lot or pay ahead of for the full tank. I have NEVER gotten a rental without a full tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,414,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Unless you rent from a cheapo fly by nite place, this is an incorrect statement. Every rental car company that I have ever rented from has a clause that states the vehicle must be returned with a full tank with the reciept that it was done within a few miles of the lot or pay ahead of for the full tank. I have NEVER gotten a rental without a full tank.
I have gotten a rental without a full tank every time I've rented, and every time, they've just waived the fuel clause.

Only time that fuel clause was actually upheld was a time back in Norway, when my dad rented a car from a gas station.

Last rental was from Enterprise, other times have been Avis and Hertz.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,365,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I have gotten a rental without a full tank every time I've rented, and every time, they've just waived the fuel clause.

Only time that fuel clause was actually upheld was a time back in Norway, when my dad rented a car from a gas station.

Last rental was from Enterprise, other times have been Avis and Hertz.
Most of my rentals in the last two years were Enterprise, away from an airport. They were never full, and often had less than 1/4 tank. The airport rentals, usually Hertz, were closer to full, and they more closely monitored the return gas level.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:23 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,398,369 times
Thanks everyone for your input - I am leaning to the drive. I must be "channeling" Sunsprit however, because the post represents much of my own thought process about driving. There are alot of presents, but I have 4 weeks and I really do not fly well unless heavily medicated. I would use Hertz because of unlimited mileage and I can get a discount. The other option I considered was to drive a rental one way then fly back. Will let y'all know what I decided this week.... Thanks again for helping.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,986 posts, read 58,918,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Thanks everyone for your input - I am leaning to the drive. I must be "channeling" Sunsprit however, because the post represents much of my own thought process about driving. There are alot of presents, but I have 4 weeks and I really do not fly well unless heavily medicated. I would use Hertz because of unlimited mileage and I can get a discount. The other option I considered was to drive a rental one way then fly back. Will let y'all know what I decided this week.... Thanks again for helping.
You better take more heed to SS. I am on his side... LONG EXPENSIVE drive, especially if just going and returning in 10 -14 days. (I did 7000 miles by rental car and 3000 mile by plane in May. I LOVE to drive, but.... there are situations that make flying a better option). Even tho I'm a million miler on United, I FLY SWA where the bags fly FREE . $89 flights are my staple. (that buys VERY LITTLE fuel, maybe one long day). If motion sickness is an issue, use 'sea-bands' no drowsy $5 solution that really works). If stress is an issue take a red-eye and stay up ALL DAY before heading out. I usually fall asleep before take-off and wake up when I feel 'Wheels hit the ground'.

My last rental car in Denver (Alamo from Airport / Hotwire) cost $4.95 / day and got 38 mpg (which about killed me since I'm used to 52 mpg in my VW diesels). I put 2800 miles on that one in 4 days.

One way rental WILL NOT pencil out. Better to buy a beater car and leave it at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive