Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:58 AM

8,953 posts, read 20,756,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i used to put locking gas caps on every car i bought, but i decided that if they really want the gas, they will just punch the tank if they cant remove the gas cap, so i have decided to save my money instead. compared to replacing a fuel tank, gas is cheap.
Don't you carry car insurance? A punched tank is comp damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 04:04 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,270,580 times
Honestly... how many people do any of you know actually had fuel stolen from them right out of their tank? Its such an uncommon occurrence its not worth my time or effort to go out and find good locking cap and then have to bother with it every time I have to fuel up. You scaredy cats can stay all worked up about people stealing your gas but in reality it will probably never happen. If it does or has happened its even more unlikely that it will ever happen again.

And as already mentioned if they really want the fuel they are just going to destroy the tank or locking mechanism to get it. So its likely gonna wind up making more trouble for you than if you did not have a locking cap.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Honestly... how many people do any of you know actually had fuel stolen from them right out of their tank? Its such an uncommon occurrence its not worth my time or effort to go out and find good locking cap and then have to bother with it every time I have to fuel up. You scaredy cats can stay all worked up about people stealing your gas but in reality it will probably never happen. If it does or has happened its even more unlikely that it will ever happen again.

It hasn't happened much or it hasn't been reported much by the media. Which is it?

Old 03-11-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
It hasn't happened much or it hasn't been reported much by the media. Which is it?
I just want to know how many people you know who have had their fuel stolen out of the tank? I'm guessing feedback will be in the 0 - 0.001% range.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:16 PM

208 posts, read 417,707 times
Quote:
Honestly... how many people do any of you know actually had fuel stolen from them right out of their tank?
It's happened to me twice.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSoBe View Post
It's happened to me twice.
And how many people do you know has it happened to?

Old 03-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I just want to know how many people you know who have had their fuel stolen out of the tank? I'm guessing feedback will be in the 0 - 0.001% range.
A very misguided statement.

You, or anyone else for that matter, will know this information based on friends, family and media reports which in this case is not a hot button issue to report much beyond the police (if that).

To ascribe a percentage rating is both foolish and inaccurate since I doubt that that kind of data has been gathered. If the data does exist then it is not easily available to the public and most certainly not on CD!!

But it DOES happen...................
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/PainA...4941278&page=2

Old 03-11-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
And how many people do you know has it happened to?
I couldn't say. I don't generally talk about gas caps with people.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
You, or anyone else for that matter, will know this information based on friends, family and media reports which in this case is not a hot button issue to report much beyond the police (if that).
Even more reason as to why I am posing the question.

Quote:
To ascribe a percentage rating is both foolish and inaccurate since I doubt that that kind of data has been gathered. If the data does exist then it is not easily available to the public and most certainly not on CD!!
How is it misguided? Can you not answer the question honestly? How many people do you know personally who this has happened to? What about acquaintance of an acquaintance? Point is this is such an uncommon thing its not worth loosing sleep over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSoBe View Post
I couldn't say. I don't generally talk about gas caps with people.
Then I guess we are the only ones who know about your stolen gas?

Old 03-11-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Then I guess we are the only ones who know about your stolen gas?
My husband knows. He bought the locking gas cap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive