Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,053,715 times

Advertisements

I'm in KY and we don't have "Smog Testing". We use to have something similar where they checked our exhaust pipes and etc, but it was called the "VET Testing". I think it stood for "vehicals emission testing". They phased this out years back. Is this something new or have ya'll always tested for "Smog"~?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,339,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I'm in KY and we don't have "Smog Testing". We use to have something similar where they checked our exhaust pipes and etc, but it was called the "VET Testing". I think it stood for "vehicals emission testing". They phased this out years back. Is this something new or have ya'll always tested for "Smog"~?
It's been required in Los Angeles county for quite some time. Back in the '80s, every car had to go through it unless it was (I think) 1963 and older.

Then it changed to 1976 and newer which helped me because I own 2 cars older than '76. Nice not to go through that hassle for cars I don't drive more than 1,000 miles per year each.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,910,534 times
Yeah, we had these in Michigan too. They got rid of them, I believe, the year I got my driver's license. It's one of the best things about Michigan. My '02 is probably a "gross polluter" by CA standards, and I don't have to fix it

Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 PM

545 posts, read 1,556,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Yeah, we had these in Michigan too. They got rid of them, I believe, the year I got my driver's license. It's one of the best things about Michigan. My '02 is probably a "gross polluter" by CA standards, and I don't have to fix it
How is it good that people are allowed to pollute the air?

Old 02-27-2011, 11:35 PM

12,787 posts, read 15,014,175 times
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm in CA, so that's the only state's rules & regs I care about. Any more comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Ok Most likely the problem is with the OX sensor, and the catalytic converter replace them both and it should pass. Question ? how many miles does it have on it. Also just a thought , Gum out is the last thing you want in your gas tank unless you are having problems with blocked lines . Fill the tank with hi test grade gas . make sure the Spark plugs are good and replace the air cleaner cartridge . now it should pass fine .
Thanks a lot! It seems like you know your stuff...I hope! How much does fixing those things run? I'll pass this info along. If anyone thinks it could be something different than this, please post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
There was no OBD standard in 1985 ...

To the OP ... post all the numbers. That would offer a clue to whether it's a air/fuel, smog device, or an engine that's too worn out.
I'll try, but I personally don't have access to the report that the testing center gave.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:53 AM

773 posts, read 2,633,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I'm in KY and we don't have "Smog Testing." ... They phased this out years back. Is this something new? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Yeah, we had these in Michigan too. They got rid of them ... It's one of the best things about Michigan. My '02 is probably a "gross polluter" by CA standards, and I don't have to fix it
You two guys should get together to compare notes ... preferably in a smoke filled room.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:32 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,498,251 times
Yea, I know what it needs. It needs to be titled and registered in Texas.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,582,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm in CA, so that's the only state's rules & regs I care about. Any more comments?

Thanks a lot! It seems like you know your stuff...I hope! How much does fixing those things run? I'll pass this info along. If anyone thinks it could be something different than this, please post.

I'll try, but I personally don't have access to the report that the testing center gave.
Spark plugs about $24.00, Air cleaner $9.00, OX censor $39.00, Catalytic converter depending what parts store you get it from $ 150.00 again most cars that don't pass usually need these items.. A little money , Yes but a lot less then buying another one.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:42 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,124,095 times
Would help to know if it's failing on HC, NOX, or CO. HC can be helped by very fresh spark plugs, less than 100 miles old, and new engine oil. Like Fighter said, air filter, new O2 sensor, and if you have to replace the cat - that being the most expensive, save that for last.

Wilson may by right in that selling the truck to someone who does not have to deal with Cali smog crap may be the most practical solution.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,892,893 times
...or, take it to a tech who knows what he is doing and will replace the parts it actually needs...!
Guessing and throwing money at a problem is NEVER the least expensive way to go. Replacing parts it doesn't need doesn't get you very far, it's cheaper to take it in get it fixed correctly.
Fighter has you spending, at the very least, over $200 dollars, which would be very cheap for the parts mentioned, and very likely won't solve the problem. For an hour labor of around $85.00, you can have an experienced tech diagnose the problem correctly, and possibly even repair in that time.
It's a wealth man who can replace all the parts on a car and hope it solved the problem. You can also save a lot of money on doing your own heart surgery, go for it...!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive