Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:52 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,241,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
When I was in high school, my family had a '75 Ford Gran Torino Squire station wagon. It looked just like this one, except it was yellow instead of white. Towards the end, it began having all kinds of mechanical problems. My parents swore they'd NEVER own another Ford-made vehicle again.

I love those wagons... those Fords were generally very good cars... maybe it was a lemon or something? I know after awhile some had carb issues, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 03:08 AM

16,676 posts, read 17,447,182 times
I'm a big station wagon fan- we call them estates in the UK.

I still have a reasonably sized one and my last five or six cars here in the UK have been of that type. They tend to ride better and have lower running costs than an SUV and when gas and road tax, which is based on CO2 output, are as expensive as they are it makes a big difference.

My cars can generally carry as much or maybe more than many an SUV and I don't have to be a weightlifter to get stuff (and the getting older dog) in the trunk.

Now if someone were to offer me a new Range Rover and pay for the running costs I wouldn't say no, but a nice E Class MB wagon would do very nicely thank you.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:58 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,751,987 times
I own a 1989 Civic wagon, and it's the most versatile vehicle I've ever owned. It can haul a surprising amount of things in the back even with the rear seat up, handles well, and still gets 35 mpg. It's so useful compared to a sedan that I doubt I'll ever buy another car that's not a wagon. With a sedan it seems like there's a perfect area for potential hauling capacity that's just going to waste. Plus, I think that most compact cars have better proportions as station wagons.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:50 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,833,246 times
I loved the old Fords! My fave was the '77 Colony Park. I still kind of miss that car. However, my current minivan just does so much more than a Station Wagon ever could (minus the smooth ride).

Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 AM

780 posts, read 2,927,248 times
It's not totally dead; close to but not yet. I have a plan for the baddest wagon yet. The 556-hp Cadillac CTS-V Sportwagon (with a 3-pedal 6-sp manual transmission to boot).

Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,532,604 times
love the old wagons but the newer ones (e.g., Jettas, audis, etc.) aren't big enough. The whole appeal of the wagon was getting 5 people, the dogs, AND the luggage in with room to spare. We had an old 64 Old's wagon -ran it til 285,000 miles. Had an old Rambler wagon in college that wouldn't die and had true style. Would never even consider an SUV but, a big ass wagon--in a heartbeat!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:47 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,285,592 times
Isn't a car-based crossover just a variation on the wagon theme? Also, when does a car stop being a hatchback and start being a wagon? The only difference I can see is the length of the cargo area. I can see that a truck-based SUV isn't really the same, but it does serve largely the same purpose. I think if the OEM's were to put out some interesting wagons, the SUV market would drop off some.

Does Holden make one in the Commodore lineup? That would be interesting.

I have owned a mini-van, but I don't like them.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:50 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,807,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Isn't a car-based crossover just a variation on the wagon theme? Also, when does a car stop being a hatchback and start being a wagon? The only difference I can see is the length of the cargo area. I can see that a truck-based SUV isn't really the same, but it does serve largely the same purpose. I think if the OEM's were to put out some interesting wagons, the SUV market would drop off some.

Does Holden make one in the Commodore lineup? That would be interesting.

I have owned a mini-van, but I don't like them.
I agree, I have a Freestyle. It is really a station wagon raised up a few inches. They just rebranded the wagon and called it a "crossover".

Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,231,902 times
I bought a station wagon in the late 70's, when we started our family. Great for hauling tons of stuff and the roof rack came in handy.

I took a good look at the Ford Flex a few weeks ago, looks like a station wagon to me!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,790,250 times
Volvo may be getting out but Cadillac and Acura are (getting) in. BMW and Mercedes never left. So I don't think the wagon is dead. That article isn't very timely. SUVs are actually dieing off now, at least the body on frame ones are. Most everything is a cross over with a unibody frame. Then you've got a few inbetween CUV/wagon things like the Honda Crosstour and Toyota Versa. But even still there is a wagon in almost every price range starting with the Hyundai Elantra Touring, Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback and all the way up to BMW 3 Wagon and 5GT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive