Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 06:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

I found, what I think is a great deal on an 2001 A6 station wagon, with about 84,000 miles for about $3,000 under the value.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Yeah, Audi/VW's are junk. That year I believe they were still building them in Mexico.

If I were you, the first place I'd go is here:

Audi A6 - AudiForums.com

Register and post your questions. It seems to be very active. Ask away, I'm sure you will find good advice. If you don't plan on doing the fix-it work yourself I would include that in your post. If you can do the work yourself they are probably reasonable to maintain even if they break a lot if you have to pay to play you'll go broke.

I'm into Volvos myself, they are expensive to fix if you have to pay a mechanic to do it, otherwise parts are generally only slightly more expensive but the cars themselves will last 200k-300k.

OK I take back my bit on fixing it yourself, I found this on an A6 post:

Quote:
For example, changing the transmission fluid costs over a $1,000 just for the fluid (the fluid is $57 per liter) , not including labor.
That's freaking nuts. Those trannies had better last 1,000,000 miles (yes that's 1 million) with that fluid. Seriously. WTF??? I'll stick to Volvos with $5/quart (liter) synthetic fluid.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:46 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Yeah, Audi/VW's are junk. That year I believe they were still building them in Mexico..
huh? i checked and audis are not made in Mx.
VW Beetles and most Jettas are.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:49 PM

812 posts, read 4,084,210 times
01 was a bit of a low point in VW reliability, and I'm not too sure how that translated over to Audi. Reliability aside, A6 avants are great looking and nice to drive as well. They always turn my head.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:01 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
The Audi A6 shares a a modified platform and some components with the Passat, not the Jetta. The Papa bear, Mama bear, Baby bear comparo would be A6, VW Passat, A4. The one thing to be wary of is the turbo engines from about 98 to 04 since they tended to have more problems than the other models (I believe it was related to valve lifters or something of the sort.) I think the only turbo in the A6 line was a 2.7 V6 which was an upgrade/optional.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:47 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
At that mileage you start looking at some pricey repairs that will come up....timing belt, water pump/radiator, CV Joints, Fuel Filter and so on. Not only are parts more expensive but labor will cost more for these repairs because of the way the engine is designed. Mechanics hate working on VW's and Audi's because the engine's are crammed with little space to work, so you must remove a lot of parts to make even a simple repair like the altenator or replacing the radiator. My '03 Passat cost almost twice as much in labor costs than what a Honda or Toyota would have cost to fix comparable parts. I'd say get a list and some receipts for any work done and if none of these things have been done yet you may want to find an Accord or Camry, you'll get more bang for you buck when it comes to repairs.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:56 PM

969 posts, read 2,820,359 times
I wouls listen to the two posters above me. They said everything that I was going to say. Bottom line is that you don't want a European car at that age and mileage. I bought an 01 BMW with 76,000 miles. It broke down twice as much as cost twice as much as a Japanese/American car.

I would also question the $3000 under value. Most of the online sites for values are well over reality.

If you are looking for something kinda cool and fun, try an early Infiniti G35. They are pretty reliable and the prices on 03 and 04 are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Audi