Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,890,798 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a vehicle able to tow an approximate 20-ft long dual-axle camper trailer on extended trips. I don't care if it is a truck or a SUV. What do you think I should be looking for? Gas, or diesel? What make/model? Will a large V6 do the job? Is a truck better, or a SUV better? What's the best bang for the buck?

Thanks,
Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,405,959 times
The longer the wheelbase on the tow vehicle the better it will tow. If you do a lot of highway towing the Diesel will pay off in the long run, If you only do occasional trips then a big V8 will do fine. A V6 is just to small for the size and weight trailer you specified.

Diesel have low speed torque and will get you up hills easier than small V8's that have to work harder and turn higher RPM's.
The brand does not matter because everybody has their own favorite so their opinions are biased.

Good luck.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:07 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,715,855 times
And rwd or awd, not fwd, although most vehicles that will tow that trailer will be rwd. I'd like a diesel for the sheer reliability and mpg.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,205,294 times
How much does such a trailer weigh?

If it in the 5,000 lb range or less, I see no reason to pay the premium for diesel unless you are on the road all the time. Diesels cost much more to buy, required more frequent ongoing maintenance - offset somewhat by durability (which is different than reliability) and better fuel economy.

I don't think most V6 engines are capable enough for the OP's needs. A mainstream V8 is probably a better choice.

As for truck vs. SUV - I would choose based on how many passengers I will have and whether or not a bed is an advantage or not. The first vehicle that comes to mind is a Ford F150 SuperCrew truck with a short bed. Lots of people would choose similar trucks or a Tahoe/Suburban/Expedition.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,180,150 times
Take a look around, most of us use a diesel to tow our campers with. I tow a 24ft TT all across the Midwest and all over the mountains.
You will have more power with a diesel and you will get better fuel millage than a gas truck also.

Some diesels like the cummins (an I6) will come with an engine brake/exhaust brake this will save your brakes and make going down long down grades comfortable.

A f150 or any 1/2 ton is not up to the job of pulling a full size double axle trailer.
Get your self a 3/4 ton or a 1ton diesel and stay away from any gas powered truck as they will strain at the task at hand.

Know your fuel, the premium diesel is a ploy, It's a mix of what?. All you need to burn is #2 fuel oil, ulsd diesel they will mix in some #1 in the winter to combat gelling. Running 10% bio is good for the engines.

A diesel may cost more but you will have a higher resale value also.

As for maintenance , yes oil changes can range in the $50 dollar range but you can go 5k-10k between changes. You no longer will have to change the spark-plugs, wires, distributor or change your oil every 3k, so it is a wash.

Last edited by snofarmer; 01-06-2011 at 12:38 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 12:23 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,198,803 times
One other issue to consider, not knowing where you intend to take it...but is diesel as available as gas where you are and intend on going? I see you're in Seward and know that you can get in some pretty remote places.

And given what I've seen of some Alaskan roads, I kinda prefer the F250 crew cab over the F150 version, but that's just me.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:35 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,135,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
One other issue to consider, not knowing where you intend to take it...but is diesel as available as gas where you are and intend on going? I see you're in Seward and know that you can get in some pretty remote places.

And given what I've seen of some Alaskan roads, I kinda prefer the F250 crew cab over the F150 version, but that's just me.
I agree with Skin here - For a large-ish trailer like this, I would prefer a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton. If you take a look at them, the 3/4 ton is built more "like a truck" in terms of axles and brakes.

Beyond that it's probably more just "what you want" than "what works best" - all 3 makers of real pickups offer some models that will work for you.

Whatever you start to get attracted to, get some Alaskan info on it - a truck that would work fine in the lower 48 might not deal with the cold and other challenges of AK.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:50 PM

1,670 posts, read 4,373,662 times
Don't 'pretend' with a V6...go for all the ponies. I tow occasionally with a supercharged V6, and it's still not enough grunt...I suspect I'd get better fuel economy with a big V8 that doesn't work half as hard as the little V6 towing around the mountains here. I can do it, it's just not confidence-inspiring.

Not to mention you want some heft around you in case you slam into wildlife on the roads, which I think happens frequently in AK.

I pull a 6x12 cargo trailer for goose decoys (light) or dirtbikes, furniture, etc. (heavy). If I ever need to tow more, I'm going to need a bigger truck.

The good news is that if gas/diesel spikes again, the market might flood with a lot of good, used full-size trucks...there's certainly no need to throw down $40-60k on one of those beasts.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:25 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,986,867 times
Obviously the weight of the trailer and the tongue weight will dictate. Add extra pounds to the dry weight of the trailer since you're probably going to equip it with personal things, kitchen items, and fill the water tank (water is 7 lbs/gallon).

A vehicle with a tow package is ideal as it'll have transmission cooler and the ability to click a tow button to turn-off the overdrive so you don't burn it out.

I tow a huge fifth wheel horse trailer with living quarters so I'm not so good at guessing lite trailers, but I use a Ford F-350 diesel dualie which is probably overkill for your usage.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:26 PM

886 posts, read 5,719,492 times
I have a 24 foor trailer that I pull all over AK with my 08 Duramax diesel and I love it. My buddy used my trailer to move from Wasilla to Fairbanks and tried to pull it with his f-150 with a 5.4 and I had to ro rescue him in Denali.

If you can I would go diesel but for a trailer that big I would get at least a 3/4 ton truck.

Happy camping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive