Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,666,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Forget about that Porsche toy, this is what you need,
http://f650pickups.com/4131.jpg

The guy's towing a camper, not moving mobile homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,224,170 times
I'll give this another go. I presently run a gas 3/4 ton and a diesel 3/4 ton and the gaser will not do the work the diesel will. If you do try to ask it to do the same job it will consume much more fuel and strain to do it.

There is no comparison.

The dodge with the cummins is the most popular tow rig stay away from all fords. a chev will be fine also.
Any diesel shop/truck stop can help you with your cummins.

Diesel fuel is plentiful in Alaska

As for it being cold because he is in Alaska?
Yes, the interior gets very cold but not Seward as the ocean keeps it warm.
It gets colder in the lower 48 than in Seward

It avg min temp is 33.3*F in Jan & Dec the coldest 2 months in Seward.
Seward, Alaska Weather and Climate
I have friends in Seward

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Whatever you start to get attracted to, get some Alaskan info on it - a truck that would work fine in the lower 48 might not deal with the cold and other challenges of AK.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:27 PM

27,955 posts, read 40,019,870 times
I'd go with a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel. Dual rear wheels would give an extra measure of stability for pulling and that would be something to consider with a tandem axle bumper pull trailer.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:03 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,333,296 times
I would go with a well maintained 90s or older 3/4 ton or 1 ton 460 powered Ford or 454 powered GM truck, no doubt about it. The 460 is the most robust truck engine around and will outlast the truck but the 454 is still a great engine. Stay away from the new trucks cause just like with housing there is a massive bubble with new vehicle prices but in this case it has yet to burst.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 PM

9,518 posts, read 10,927,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I'm looking for a vehicle able to tow an approximate 20-ft long dual-axle camper trailer on extended trips. I don't care if it is a truck or a SUV. What do you think I should be looking for? Gas, or diesel? What make/model? Will a large V6 do the job? Is a truck better, or a SUV better? What's the best bang for the buck?

Thanks,
Bud

Many people in here are suggesting very large and powerful tow vehicles. I think you would be ok with somehting less than a big diesel or a HD truck. I have a 28 foot TT that wieghts 4900 pounds and my GMC sierra 1/2 ton does just fine. When you pick a vehicle make sure you have a transmission cooler on it and the good rear end. I see many people pulling small to midsized trailers with 1/2 ton pickups, Tahoes, Expiditions etc. Unless your getting some large heavy trailer you will be fine with a 1/2 ton pickup or SUV. Just make sure the truck you get is rated to pull your trailer.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,224,170 times
One axle 1/2 ton, 2 axles 3/4 ton.
Get a truck that when your loaded down for your extended trips that you have more truck than you need. Get a truck that is operating well inside it's capabilities not at it's limits as a 1/2 ton would be.
A 1/2 ton or any gasser for that matter will not have an exhaust break. This will extend the life of your breaks by 60% and it will make going down any steep grade enjoyable. It really does make a big diffrence.

I'd get it in 4x4 also.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:10 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,605,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
One axle 1/2 ton, 2 axles 3/4 ton.
Get a truck that when your loaded down for your extended trips that you have more truck than you need. Get a truck that is operating well inside it's capabilities not at it's limits as a 1/2 ton would be.
A 1/2 ton or any gasser for that matter will not have an exhaust break. This will extend the life of your breaks by 60% and it will make going down any steep grade enjoyable. It really does make a big diffrence.

I'd get it in 4x4 also.
Just another reason to get a 3/4 or 1 ton that no one has addressed is axle on the 1/2 ton is a single bearing ( Ever see a ford that has lost an axle and wheel assembly on the free way ) not a pretty
picture. Now with the 3/4 or 1 ton they have a double bearing assembly , full floating assembly like all the HD trucks. This item is more important or equally as important as the engine . A big 454 or 460 engine is going no where when the axle slides out from under the truck . Just a thought from past experiences as a tow truck driver. Also dual wheels when towing always better , 2 tires are better then one when you get a flat!.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:10 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,925,077 times
Well, it sounds like the votes are in:

3/4T truck, not SUV
V8, not V6, with the only exception Dodge Cummins diesel 6
gas will work, but diesel is better
1/2T may work, but 3/4T is better (heavier duty)

There will just be me and my wife, and our two small dogs...we're a recently retired couple. I was kind of leaning towards a diesel rig before I posted, but decided to see what most guys are using to tow similar loads. We won't be traveling around just Alaska, but all over the U.S. I didn't want to spend what little money we have and then find out later that it won't work well.

I have never been anywhere (Alaska or otherwise) where getting diesel was a problem. My one and only beef with diesel is that it costs more at the pump (I think it's running about $4.17 gal here now), whereas gas is $3.77. It doesn't get that cold where I live...even now (January) we are about 25F....no worse than many states. Last week it was up in the high 30's...and raining...

I don't have a "money tree" in my back yard, so I think we're going to have to look for a used rig...maybe like 5yrs or so old...

Thanks all for the tips and suggestions. Uh...think I'm gonna bypass the Porsche though...

One last question: is an automatic transmission ok for this job?

Bud

Old 01-06-2011, 11:20 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,605,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Well, it sounds like the votes are in:

3/4T truck, not SUV
V8, not V6, with the only exception Dodge Cummins diesel 6
gas will work, but diesel is better
1/2T may work, but 3/4T is better (heavier duty)

There will just be me and my wife, and our two small dogs...we're a recently retired couple. I was kind of leaning towards a diesel rig before I posted, but decided to see what most guys are using to tow similar loads. We won't be traveling around just Alaska, but all over the U.S. I didn't want to spend what little money we have and then find out later that it won't work well.

I have never been anywhere (Alaska or otherwise) where getting diesel was a problem. My one and only beef with diesel is that it costs more at the pump (I think it's running about $4.17 gal here now), whereas gas is $3.77. It doesn't get that cold where I live...even now (January) we are about 25F....no worse than many states. Last week it was up in the high 30's...and raining...

I don't have a "money tree" in my back yard, so I think we're going to have to look for a used rig...maybe like 5yrs or so old...

Thanks all for the tips and suggestions. Uh...think I'm gonna bypass the Porsche though...

One last question: is an automatic transmission ok for this job?

Bud
Automatic will do fine , also 2000 or older ford 7.3 diesel ( mine is a 1996 F350 with 5 speed standard 277,000 miles, runs all over the country like a new one ) stay away from the 6.0 and 6.6 Fords. The 2004 and older Duramax also fine if you like Chevy

Old 01-07-2011, 02:16 AM

886 posts, read 5,734,269 times
If you do go auto better make sure it is a GM. The Allison set the bar for all others. Until recent years (08 and up) that Ford and Dodge stepped up. They were using a transmission built for a gas motor behind a diesel. Granted it did the job but was not known for longevity especially if not serviced properly.

BTW if you ever make it up to the Fairbanks area let me know and we can grab a cup of coffee some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive