Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:31 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,627,916 times

Advertisements

Report: Chevy Ditching "Aveo" Name; Tell Us What You'd Call It - Wide Open Throttle - Motor Trend Magazine
IF the new model is as good as GM claims and they decide to drop the Aveo name, what would you name the car? Don't bother with Chevette cause it was already suggested in the article above, tongue in cheek.

I'd suggest they don't even think about bringing back an old Chevy name. No Nova, no Cavalier, no Vega, no Chevette, no Monza, none of that stuff. Since this car is Korean (think Daewoo), how about bringing back a Geo name. Bring back the Chevrolet Prism or Chevrolet Metro. Metro says fuel efficient city car. The original Prism was a Toyota Corolla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:06 PM

16,415 posts, read 30,457,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Metro says fuel efficient city car.
Then the Aveo would not qualify.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:22 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,358,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Report: Chevy Ditching "Aveo" Name; Tell Us What You'd Call It - Wide Open Throttle - Motor Trend Magazine
IF the new model is as good as GM claims and they decide to drop the Aveo name, what would you name the car? Don't bother with Chevette cause it was already suggested in the article above, tongue in cheek.

I'd suggest they don't even think about bringing back an old Chevy name. No Nova, no Cavalier, no Vega, no Chevette, no Monza, none of that stuff. Since this car is Korean (think Daewoo), how about bringing back a Geo name. Bring back the Chevrolet Prism or Chevrolet Metro. Metro says fuel efficient city car. The original Prism was a Toyota Corolla.

I thought Daewoo went out of business years ago...

Old 10-13-2010, 08:51 AM

1,955 posts, read 11,009,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
I thought Daewoo went out of business years ago...
They did, and then GM took over. Google GMDAT.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:39 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,852,232 times
I agree that they shouldn't go back to the nostalgia bin for a name. That may work on some models, but I can't think of anything from GM's past to appropriately name this car that would evoke a positive image. Sometimes you just need to come up with something new. They ditched the Cavalier name and came up with the Cobalt to show the Cobalt was something new and dissasociate with the Cavalier name. They ditched Cobalt and came up with Cruze to dissasociate with the Cobalt name and emphasize it was something new. They need to do the same on this car. What this car should be called, I have no idea, but the Aveo name has a lot of baggage.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:33 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,159,116 times
I think they SHOULD bring back an old name. GM was a reputable company 40-50 years ago, and an older name would take people back to those days.

I think the DUMBEST thing GM did was to do away with the Geo "brand". Those were high quality Asian makes (Toyota, Isuzu, Suzuki). I would NEVER drive a car with a Chevrolet or Pontiac logo, even if it was an Asian car, but would consider it if it was a Geo. People that know quality cars don't want a Detroit emblem on it!

The Korean built Aveo, while no prize will probably be better than the upcoming "Aveo" built by the UAW (at half pay no less!), so I would rest on the sparse laurels that Daewoo has, and try to fool the people into thinking the new Aveo is as good as it's predecessor.

Last edited by outafocus; 10-13-2010 at 10:49 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 AM

441 posts, read 1,330,709 times
Quote:
difficult to pronounce and confuses customers
lal, it must be tough to be a Chevrolet customer... when four letters word gets you confused

How about OEVA?

Old 10-13-2010, 10:52 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,159,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
lal, it must be tough to be a Chevrolet customer... when four letters word gets you confused

How about OEVA?
One of the easiest words first graders learn to spell is "cat". Maybe GM should call it the Chevrolet Cat. Even Chevy buyers should be able to spell and pronounce it!

Since GM, and the UAW are producing it, the car is bound to be a dog, though.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:32 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,852,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I think they SHOULD bring back an old name. GM was a reputable company 40-50 years ago, and an older name would take people back to those days.

I think the DUMBEST thing GM did was to do away with the Geo "brand". Those were high quality Asian makes (Toyota, Isuzu, Suzuki). I would NEVER drive a car with a Chevrolet or Pontiac logo, even if it was an Asian car, but would consider it if it was a Geo. People that know quality cars don't want a Detroit emblem on it!

The Korean built Aveo, while no prize will probably be better than the upcoming "Aveo" built by the UAW (at half pay no less!), so I would rest on the sparse laurels that Daewoo has, and try to fool the people into thinking the new Aveo is as good as it's predecessor.
So, you would buy a "Geo" built in a GM/*insert Asian company here* joint venture plant, but you wouldn't buy a "Pontiac" or "Chevy" built under the same arrangement? Seems pretty short sighted to me...though that may explain your user name.

Also since you obviously weren't aware GM owns Daewoo and has since the early 2000's. The current Aveo is as much a GM product as the new one and both are manufactured in South Korea and shipped to assembly plants in the U.S. and Canada.

As for people who want quality cars don't buy Detroit emblems, well that's a personal opinion. There are plenty of reliable, quality cars with Detroit logos on them. Your blind hatred is really misguided.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:47 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,746,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
They did, and then GM took over. Google GMDAT.
Yep. The old Daewoo is considered GM's center for overseas development of front drive cars and they are sold under the Chevy and Holden nameplate in Europe and Australia among other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive