Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:16 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times

Advertisements

From reading through this thread, I had a couple thoughts pop into my head. First, regarding the SHO and 5-series; If you care at all about straight line performance than the SHO will crush the BMW at a stoplight and on the highway. The BMW will outhandle the SHO. The SHO comes stock with AWD. I'm not sure where you live, but that may be useful. The BMW is pretty much a zero cost car in the first 4 years of ownership. While that doesn't negate all of the price difference, it takes a decent chunk off. Since you are looking at a more base model 5-series, the SHO will have more tech toys.

My other thought is that given the price range of around $50k, there are a ton of options out there that I would consider.

1. The new Infiniti "M" line is very good and comparable to the 5-series. For the same money as the Taurus you can get into a nicely equipped M35 and for a little less than the 5-series, you can step up to the M45. Both will offer comparable performance to the SHO and still retain the handling and luxury of the 5-series.

2. The Audi S4 should be considered. The A/S4 line has a more gracious interior than the 3-series. The S4 starts out at the same price of the SHO and IMO is a much better car.

3. The Infiniti G37 is IMO quickly becoming the performance choice in the enty level luxury segment. It has performance similar to the SHO and has a very ample interior for it's class. This would be the budget choice.

4. Used Pontiac G8 GT/GXP. Yes, it's a dead car from a dead brand, but before it died it was the largest passenger sedan in the U.S. and had performance and handling on par with a 550i in GT trim. The GXP is the real performance choice with the LS3 and optional manual. It doesn't have the same tech gadgets the other cars will have and it isn't new, but it represents a great bang for the buck. Nothing like buying a family sedan that could spank the Mustang you are getting rid of.

5. I know you were stretching the budget at $50k and change for the 5-series, but the Cadillac CTS-V invoices at $57k and the 2010's currently have $3k cash back or 0% financing. This is simply the fastest production sedan on Earth. Your kid's could wave bye-bye to Corvette's and Porsche's on the highway from their car seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I actually like the C6 quite a bit but I know that unless I was getting a really good deal on a used Z06, I would get the base or even the GrandSport.
IMO, the Z06 is just a different animal in terms of feel, sound and looks etc. My neighbor got rid of his for a grandsport for a couple reasons but it generally breaks down to what you are interested in out of the vehicle.

This really is a great mirror for the debates in several threads around here between various cars like BMW vs. SHO or Mustang or the various infinitis etc.
Some people look at spending an extra 20k and can't see the value in one car being faster or another having a nicer interior blah blah blah.

Just lots of subjectivity and usage for the various vehicles out there. The only place where I will weigh in firmly is when people start challenging relaibility of some vehicles because that's fact, not opinion.

The nice thing is that we all get to vote with our wallets.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
1. The new Infiniti "M" line is very good and comparable to the 5-series. For the same money as the Taurus you can get into a nicely equipped M35 and for a little less than the 5-series, you can step up to the M45. Both will offer comparable performance to the SHO and still retain the handling and luxury of the 5-series.
The M35/45 is no more. It's now the M37/56.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:20 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The M35/45 is no more. It's now the M37/56.
You are correct, I was referencing 2010 forgetting the 2011's debuted in Spring 2010. As it is the M37 bases at a tick over the price of a SHO and offers similar performance. The M56 bases about $2k higher than the 5-series, but comes with a lot more goodies, not to mention 420hp.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:38 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,998,845 times
njgoat,

I'm glad you mentioned the CTS. My wife and I both really like those as well. True it's a little higher than the price range we are looking in, but if we are willing to wait a little longer to make the purchase, it may open that option up for us.

Good observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive