Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 03:05 PM

9 posts, read 14,587 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a car out of town and I paid with a check. I got a call from the dealer saying that what I wrote in the number portion of the check doesn't match up with what I wrote in the word portion of the check. No, I wasn't trying to pull a scam myself. Consider it a moment of dyslexia, I guess.

I assume they're going to want another check, but what can I do to make sure they don't cash both of them? Would it be fair for me to ask them to mail me the old one first?

I don't have much reason not to trust them, but mailing another check seems like a pretty stupid thing to do, doesn't it? I'll have to call them tomorrow. I'm just going off of a message they left on my machine yesterday.

Edit: I should also mention that I checked my bank account and the check hasn't been cashed, but that wouldn't stop them from doing it on Tuesday if I mailed a check Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 03:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
go to the bank put a stop payment on the cheque and get it voided then write them a new cheque with the proper info.
haha I am canadian so we spell check like cheque but the process is the same

Old 08-01-2010, 03:37 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,910 times
Just be aware that putting a stop payment on a check is not forever. Check with your bank to see how long they will honor it.
I would demand you get your old check back at some point to make sure there is no Hanky Panky.
Did you use a Gel Pen to write the check ???
If not that could be a problem if they keep it.
Also you should not write checks without a Gel pen these days.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:00 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Just be aware that putting a stop payment on a check is not forever. Check with your bank to see how long they will honor it.
I would demand you get your old check back at some point to make sure there is no Hanky Panky.
Did you use a Gel Pen to write the check ???
If not that could be a problem if they keep it.
Also you should not write checks without a Gel pen these days.
How does a gel pen help? Just curious.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:03 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,981,728 times
If you have access to a fax machine, have them fax you the wrongly written check to show they're legitimate.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:05 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
depending on how far away the dealer is, i would go back and retrieve the original check, and write them a new one on the spot.

and when i got the original check in my hand, the first thing i would do is write void in big letters across the face of the check.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Z View Post
I recently bought a car out of town and I paid with a check. I got a call from the dealer saying that what I wrote in the number portion of the check doesn't match up with what I wrote in the word portion of the check. No, I wasn't trying to pull a scam myself. Consider it a moment of dyslexia, I guess.

I assume they're going to want another check, but what can I do to make sure they don't cash both of them? Would it be fair for me to ask them to mail me the old one first?

I don't have much reason not to trust them, but mailing another check seems like a pretty stupid thing to do, doesn't it? I'll have to call them tomorrow. I'm just going off of a message they left on my machine yesterday.

Edit: I should also mention that I checked my bank account and the check hasn't been cashed, but that wouldn't stop them from doing it on Tuesday if I mailed a check Monday.
Well duh! Get in your car and take the corrected check to the dealer and pick up the incorrect check.

How hard can this be for crying out loud!

Old 08-01-2010, 06:04 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Back in 1986 I bought a new car, 6 months later B of A called wanting to know where the down payment was. The check that had been cashed had never been applied to the loan. This had obliviously been written up wrong, it should have been a loan value of only the loan as the down was made to dealership. I provided check routing #, account # and check # and B of A cleared it up. Only write a new check in exchange of the said bad check.

Dealerships will pull some crooked stuff. A friend was a manager for a Dodge dealer. He told me how they will knowingly write up repair tickets on cars they know have recall notices on. They will take your check, turn around and charge manufacture for it again.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Ask the dealer to email you a photo of the check torn in half with the word VOID written across the face.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:17 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Ask the dealer to email you a photo of the check torn in half with the word VOID written across the face.
Photoshop could do that. Just simply exchange checks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive