Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 06:35 PM

9 posts, read 14,579 times

Advertisements

All together a trip back would take me 4 hours, which I don't really have.

A fax could easily be faked, couldn't it? I suppose a photograph could also be faked, though that would take a little more skill. I would definitely feel most comfortable if I had the check back in my hands. I'm just wondering if it would be fair for me to insist on that. Could they somehow claim I'm trying not to pay them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 06:48 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Z View Post

A fax could easily be faked, couldn't it? I suppose a photograph could also be faked, though that would take a little more skill. I would definitely feel most comfortable if I had the check back in my hands. I'm just wondering if it would be fair for me to insist on that. Could they somehow claim I'm trying not to pay them?
ya but for peace of mind and knowing for sure you are not getting scammed it is worth it. Or you can roll the dice and let it slide. best bet call them tell them to write void on it and get them to mail you the bad cheque and tell them you will send them a good one ASAP.

also still put a stop payment on the bad cheque just to be safe. also tell them on the phone you put a stop payment on it and will be sending them a good cheque as soon as you get the voided one back.
just make sure to keep the dealer informed so they won't put a order out to repo your car for no payment.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:42 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
How does a gel pen help? Just curious.
Gel pen ink in much more difficult to Wash a Check.

Greatly reduces crooks changing what you wrote on your check.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:08 PM

68 posts, read 201,107 times
Quote:

If it were me I'd just make the trip myself and be done with it. Sounds like this is eating away at you a bit - just spend the 4 hrs and get it done.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
As I see it for your own protection you'd better find the time to get this right or you could have grief out the wahzoo!

Quit wiggling and do it right!

Old 08-01-2010, 09:18 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
Has the whereabouts of the check been established? Did the dealership catch the error and hold on to it or did the bank find the mistake after it was deposited? The check is somewhere, but we don't know that exact detail. If the bank returned it to the dealership then there is a stamping on it saying "do not redeposit" which makes the check totally void. If that's the case then call the bank for verification and just send the dealership another one. If not, I'd make the trip and exchange checks.

Afterall, you've got a new ride. Call in sick and enjoy a day off. BTW - what did you get?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:39 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
As GTO said if you can't make the trip, call your bank to place a stop payment (generally good for 6 months), ask them to mail the old one back and mail another one. If you don't get the check back for whatever reason, you can reapply the stop payment every 6 months. Although its up to the financial institution to decide if they will accept a stale dated personal check (6 months old) very few will accept one after 1+ years. Many people are under the assumption that once a personal check is stale dated it is expired but this is not correct as it is still legal to cash it.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:06 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Have them FedEx/UPS it overnight to you and you FedEX/UPS the new check overnight back to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive