Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:03 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times

Advertisements

Six weeks after my daughter's 2007 Honda Civic Warranty expired, she had problems with both windows. Took it to the dealer from which we've purchased three Honda's since 2006.

Service Dept. offered that this was a known manufacturing defect, though not on the recall list. After some haggling, they decided that we would only have to pay 1/2 the $1200 cost to fix the problem.

Needless to say, I believe that Honda should replace at no cost due to:

1. Known manufacturing flaw
2. The car was only 6-weeks past warranty. (Yeah, I know, rules are rules, but the private mechanic I took the car to called two Honda dealers he works with and was told, by them, that their policy was to honor the warranty 2-3 months beyond expiration)
3. Three cars from this dealer in the past 4 years? Plus the service revenue.

So what are the thoughts of the all seeing, all knowing CD Automotive crew. Honda America is my next stop tomorrow. And I'm quite proficient at very clearly stating the facts without succumbing to libel with all due respect to my now past Honda dealer.

Oh, and any email addresses for Honda America executives would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JTGJR; 07-29-2010 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Add'l request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:32 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,910 times
If you haven't talked to the Owner of the Dealership, I would give it a try.
That is where I ended up in order to get a similar thing taken care of.
Get your story organized before you do it. I always type it out on Word Perfect and then print it so I can rehearse a little.

I would do that before you hit on Honda.

Is there another Honda dealer within range? Try that also if there is.

I know how it feels as I have been there several times.

Good Luck.

SF

Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
I think SF is right on.

Although it is going to be a little more difficult since you have already agreed to something. I would still give it a try though.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:50 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Good luck - Honda has a bit of a reputation for not standing behind fixing defects.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:40 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I think SF is right on.

Although it is going to be a little more difficult since you have already agreed to something. I would still give it a try though.
I've not agreed to anything. I called the service department before I posted and told them that their position was not acceptable to me and that I will no longer have my three Honda's serviced at this location. Regardless of what American Honda decides to do, the local dealer has lost my business. And I will be the bane of their existence for the near future.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Honda has never officially recognized the window issue as a known problem and ordered a recall (and people still argue that most Japanese cars have such sterling reliability reputations in Consumer Reports...but I digress). Anyway, you have a couple options. First things first, they DO NOT have to fix your car. The warranty is expired, you are SOL. However, most manufacturers engage in what is known as courtesy warranty (can also be referred to as "policy") for people who have issues right after the warranty expires, especially if it is a well known problem.

Warranty repairs are paid for by the manufacturer. The dealer conducts the repair and the manufacturer reimburses them. Each region will have a warranty manager that works for the manufacturer that oversees the process. This is the guy who has the ability to agree to fix the car and extend the courtesy warranty. Chances are the dealer would have already spoken to that person and this is where their 50/50 deal came from. You can ask to speak to the "Regional Warranty Manager" and they should be able to get you in touch with them.

I would first ask to speak to the dealerships general manager. He has the ability to help you out with this at the dealer level. If you are a good customer, they may be willing to do something. They can get this resolved much quicker than by going through Honda. If the 50/50 deal was in fact coming from Honda, he may be willing to pick up the other 50% to keep you happy.

Failing that, I would contact Honda North America, their main customer service number is 800-999-1009. This is the first step and they will create a report and issue you a case number. This will then go to review and they will approve or deny it. It's important to get this case number as it makes everything easily referenced. You can keep working your way up through the chain of command and seeing if they will extend help to you. I hate to tell you, but Honda is real tight on their warranty and I doubt you are going to do better than the 50/50 deal through them.

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:14 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
However, most manufacturers engage in what is known as courtesy warranty (can also be referred to as "policy") for people who have issues right after the warranty expires, especially if it is a well known problem.
That is correct - here at the Chevy dealership they do what is called a "goodwill" repair in certain circumstances.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:03 AM

692 posts, read 3,141,910 times
The Short Definition of a "Good Will Repair" and why some Dealers do them.

Have we Made Money of this Guy/Gal !!!
Has he/she sent us some profitable customers.
Will he/she truly appreciate our going the extra mile.
Has he/she been reasonable in there request to get the issue resolved.

The Big One.....

Will he/she continue to be as Good a Customer after this has been taken care of, or has this already become to Negative to Resolve the issue completely and satisfactorily ??

Personally, based on information posted here, I would consider this case as an Exceptional Customer and take care of the issue with a smile and a thank you for all there past business.

A side note:

In all my negotiations with Car Dealers, I have made it my personal preference to be courteous and civil even though there were times when I was about to explode.
I really do not see any short term or lasting benefit to getting "NASTY" unless you are Sure you have concluded all avenues without a fair and reasonable conclusion.

Remember ..... They have the upper hand in resolving this.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:23 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
I definitely second the notion of getting hold of the regional guy and asking for a Good Will Repair.

That being said, known issue or not, once it's out-of-warranty Honda really has no obligation. I'm not going to pretend I know all the rules 100%, but the only time you're really gonna see a vehicle manufacturer conduct a full-blown recall (as opposed to, say, a Technical Service Bulletin) is when the problem is a potential safety issue (read: potential major lawsuit).

Mike

Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
What is the problem with the windows and is it the same problem for both?

And $1200 to repair two windows? Did the motors quit, regulators break and the glass shatter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive