Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 02:43 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,922,658 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the sage advice. Interestingly, the service department called me this morning and left a message to call back. Called back three times and left a message each time. The third time I was transferred to the support manager. None of them have returned my calls. And, so there's no misunderstanding, I was quite courteous to the guy I spoke with last evening. He's in until 3pm today, so I figure I'll give him a call at 2:55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 05:20 PM

3,069 posts, read 9,174,972 times
How do you know that honda will not pay the dealer to do it? Some dealers charge you and then turn it in for the maker to pay them back and they get paid twice....Its how the make the blingaling.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,603,650 times
No manufacturer is going to issue a recall because the windows stop working. Technical service bulletin, maybe. Recall? Highly doubtful.

Your service adviser's mistake was being candid with you that it's a "known problem." But there's a difference between it being a "known problem" and an "acknowledged problem" which the manufacturer has agreed to cover via TSB or recall. If the manufacturer has not issued a TSB, what you're asking your dealer to do is eat the entire cost for something over which they have no control. I think the dealer was more than fair to offer to split the cost. If the manufacturer won't step up, I would gladly take up the dealer on their offer.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:36 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,922,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No manufacturer is going to issue a recall because the windows stop working. Technical service bulletin, maybe. Recall? Highly doubtful.

Your service adviser's mistake was being candid with you that it's a "known problem." But there's a difference between it being a "known problem" and an "acknowledged problem" which the manufacturer has agreed to cover via TSB or recall. If the manufacturer has not issued a TSB, what you're asking your dealer to do is eat the entire cost for something over which they have no control. I think the dealer was more than fair to offer to split the cost. If the manufacturer won't step up, I would gladly take up the dealer on their offer.
Drover, in most cases I would tend to agree with you. However, we have had regular maintenance done at this dealer on both my wife's Odyssey and my daughter's Civic for the past 4 years and I just purchased a Crosstour 4 months ago. With the past history and them making the $ off of service, one would think they'd go the extra mile.

Message from them today, when I finally spoke with the underling was "take it or leave it. If you want to take your business elsewhere, then do it." That's the attitude of this dealer. I'll ensure that the GM and Honda North America is aware of such.

And I will ensure that the general public, in my 25-mile radius, is aware of the "Customer Service" approach that this dealer has. I'll keep you posted as the fun really begins.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,603,650 times
I don't see how having regular maintenance done entitles you to have them pick up the entire tab for something they had nothing to do with. If the windows didn't work because of something they did, then certainly you'd be within your rights to expect them to pick up the entire tab. But under the circumstances their offer was perfectly fair. If I offered to eat $600 just to keep you happy and that wasn't good enough for you, I'd give you the "take it or leave it" ultimatum too.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:18 PM

11,158 posts, read 29,438,375 times
I agree with drover on this.
The dealer had noting to do with the windows going and they did offer to pay half on a car out of the warranty period .I think that is the best deal you are going to get out of this. If you don't take the deal you pay the whole $1200 or if you take the deal you half it with the dealer.

and since honda america has no TSB or recall I doubt they will do much for a out of warranty car.
I know it sucks but in the end it is just business.

the best thing you can do is start going to a local independent mechanic for all your service needs. then Atleast give your money to a local business owner. and if they are good they can help you find and install parts alot cheaper than any dealer. Plus any local mechanic should have no problem working on or finding part's for a honda civic or Odyssey van they are all pretty straight forward.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:55 PM

692 posts, read 3,152,357 times
One problem I have is the cost ....$1200.

Is that actually a legitimate appropriate fair value charge ??

A dealer that is not on the up & up could fudge the figure.

I would definetly get a second and maybe a third estimate to feel comfortable.

If you know exactly what has to be done then you could even call another dealer out of the area and run it by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive