Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:28 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times

Advertisements

I guess this is more of a rant but curious what others think since I was basically told I was an idiot today. Maybe I am wrong...

A family member that is new to camping purchased a camping trailer that is rather light. I was told it is 2000 lbs. I am thinking it is more around 2500 to 2800 but they insist its 2000 anyway..... This person owns a mini van and had a hitch installed. The other vehicle they own is a Ford escape with a tow package. They refuse to use the SUV. They say it is too small. Personally I do not see the difference between the SUV and the mini van for the exception of the tow package. I know the hitch on the SUV is a different class hitch and not sure if it can be switched out or if it can be adapted. Either way, they use the mini van. So this person complains the mini van does not pull the camper right (but did not give specifics as to what feels wrong about it) and is convinced they need a SUV with a V8 engine. I tried to explain its not so much the engine that is the problem but more with the transmission. So as I am telling this person all this, her husband pipes in and starts talking to me like I am stupid (big eye rolls and all that) and the only thing that can pull this camper they have would be a V8. I never would have thrown in my two cents about any of it except they asked me.

I am not new to camping and have pulled a trailer (2000 lb pop up loaded) before with my V6 Mid sized SUV with no problems at all. My SUV can pull 5,000 lbs. I tried to tell them that moving up to a mid sized SUV with a tow package would be enough power. A V8 is gonna be a gas hog and I think its over kill for this camper. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 04:07 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,171,871 times
No, you don't need a V8 to pull that kind of load. Hell, a 4-banger could do it all day long just fine. But, what does make a difference are things like wheelbase, FWD vs RWD, suspension set-up, vehicle ride height, etc.

Not knowing which minivan he has, if it were me, I would probably want to tow with the minivan as well. Generally speaking, the longer the wheel base, the more stable the vehicle when towing. The Escape is a relatively short wheelbase and sits higher as well.

Now, as to why he thinks he needs a big ol' V8 pick-up, that would depend on why he thinks the minivan isn't doing the job. Given that most minivans come with a V6 minimum and have relatively decent pick-up to start, I would say that if he feels the van doesn't provide enough oomph that he needs to learn a little patience. Yes, it is possible to have enough motor to make a trailer feel like it's not even there, but the flipside to that is that people tend to drive as though the trailer literally is not there as in quick lane changes, less than adequate braking distances, too high of speeds, etc. Now, if the tranny is searching or slipping while towing, I could see his point but 2000 lbs shouldn't really be taxing it.

But, if his problem is that the van feels squishy and vague while going down the road, power will not solve it. What he needs is stiffer suspension in the back to help offset the tongue weight. While a pick-up will generally give you this (especially vs a FWD minivan), there's no reason he cannot modify the van's suspension to get it done. Companies like Air Ride (www.ridetech.com) make products that allow you to crank up the stiffness when you want and lower it back to almost stock when you don't.

But at the end of the day, the guy may be trying to ditch the minivan for a pick-up just because he doesn't want a minivan. As a fellow man, you are legally obligated to agree with him 100% (at least in front of the wife). Do your civic duty, lol!

Mike

Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
whiteboyslo pretty much said it all. No he doesn't need a V8 to pull a 2k pound camper, but he needs the right vehicle.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:02 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
At 2000 lbs it can't be much of a camper. I got an enclosed 6x6x12 trailer that almost weighs that much, empty. Is this trailer a pop tent on wheels?

As I see things there can never be too much power, and I wouldn't own a gutless minivan if my life depended on it.

I suppose the draw bar hitch is the ONE square inch type too.

The roads just get more and more scarey with folks running under rated hitches.

The hitch on my motorcycle is bigger than what I see on mini suv's and mini vans.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
WBS covered all the pertinent points. I'll also add that trailer weight (read the label!) and its distribution (tongue weight) can have quite an effect on handling too.

On a more comedic aspect about undersized towing ...

YouTube - Car Trailer

Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times
Agreed. I have a Coleman camper that weighs around 2,300 lbs loaded. I pulled fit or years with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0ltr. 6 cyl. with no problems. Gearing is important (Jeep had 3.73 gearing) and a good trans cooler as well as wheel base and tow vehicle weight. I now have a 2005 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 V8. Overkill for this camper but I'm probably going to upgrade soon. It pulls the pop-up like it's not there.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:27 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
well there tons of used V-8 trucks and SUVs that are selling cheap. jeepjeep is right gearing has alot to do with it most RWD suvs come with 2.73 for fuel economy some have a 3.55 and if you go to full size HD truck 4.10 is an option but it will give you worse freeway mileage but with the new 6-speed autos it might not be to bad.

plus the new V-8s are not that bad unless you get the big block based 8.1 liter aka 496CI in a suburban most base V-8's are small a 4.6 modular ford or a 5.3 vortec are great and have been around for 15 years now plus GM has a tow/haul mode on the shifter.
Class I Hitches

This is the lightest type of trailer hitch. A Class 1 trailer hitch can handle a gross trailer weight (GTW) of up to 2,000 lbs., and a maximum tongue weight of 200 lbs. The hitch may be a simple drawbar-type hitch or step bumper-type hitch. Other hitches may have a crossbar with a small one-inch or 1-1/2-inch square receiver, or a small 2-inch by 5/8-inch receiver. This type of hitch is often used on smaller cars, smaller pickups and smaller vans (minivans) for bicycle racks, camping racks, and light-duty towing. We sell many fine class 1 hitches as well as an economical, easy to install (do-it-yourself) Class 1 trailer hitch
Class II Hitches

Class II hitches are for loads of up to 3,500 lbs. GTW and 300 lbs. tongue weight such as a small boat trailer, snowmobile trailer, motorcycle trailer or camper. This type of trailer hitch is appropriate for larger cars, full-size vans, full-size pickups and SUVs. Many of our class II hitches are designed specifically for your vehicle, and we have some universal class II trailer hitches as well.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:43 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
You do not need a V8 but its makes towing much nicer in my opinion. Many of the smaller engine make their HP from RPMs.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Many of the smaller engine make their HP from RPMs.
Horsepower is irrelevant. Torque is what pulls the load.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,353 times
It's not about being able to pull it. It's about being able to stop it. That little Escape should be able to pull a pop-up, which is what this must be if it only weighs 2000-2500 lbs. You must be sure, though, that you can stop in a reasonably quick and stable fashion. If it has the tow package, I would use that over the minivan. No need for a v8 with a trailer of this size.

Last edited by stanman13; 07-08-2010 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive