Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,454 times

Advertisements

No matter which vehicle they use, when towing it's best to disable the Overdrive especially if you are towing in a hilly area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:02 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfcake View Post
wbs covered all the pertinent points. I'll also add that trailer weight (read the label!) and its distribution (tongue weight) can have quite an effect on handling too.

On a more comedic aspect about undersized towing ...

youtube - car trailer
omg. Lol!!!! :d

Old 07-08-2010, 12:58 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
No, you don't need a V8 to pull that kind of load. Hell, a 4-banger could do it all day long just fine. But, what does make a difference are things like wheelbase, FWD vs RWD, suspension set-up, vehicle ride height, etc.

Not knowing which minivan he has, if it were me, I would probably want to tow with the minivan as well. Generally speaking, the longer the wheel base, the more stable the vehicle when towing. The Escape is a relatively short wheelbase and sits higher as well.

Now, as to why he thinks he needs a big ol' V8 pick-up, that would depend on why he thinks the minivan isn't doing the job. Given that most minivans come with a V6 minimum and have relatively decent pick-up to start, I would say that if he feels the van doesn't provide enough oomph that he needs to learn a little patience. Yes, it is possible to have enough motor to make a trailer feel like it's not even there, but the flipside to that is that people tend to drive as though the trailer literally is not there as in quick lane changes, less than adequate braking distances, too high of speeds, etc. Now, if the tranny is searching or slipping while towing, I could see his point but 2000 lbs shouldn't really be taxing it.

But, if his problem is that the van feels squishy and vague while going down the road, power will not solve it. What he needs is stiffer suspension in the back to help offset the tongue weight. While a pick-up will generally give you this (especially vs a FWD minivan), there's no reason he cannot modify the van's suspension to get it done. Companies like Air Ride (www.ridetech.com) make products that allow you to crank up the stiffness when you want and lower it back to almost stock when you don't.

But at the end of the day, the guy may be trying to ditch the minivan for a pick-up just because he doesn't want a minivan. As a fellow man, you are legally obligated to agree with him 100% (at least in front of the wife). Do your civic duty, lol!

Mike
ha ha! Ah yes, the "guy code". Actually I am woman so....

Seriously though, I could give a hoot if someone wants to buy a big V8. Since the husband just lost his job two weeks ago and is in a line of work that is not hiring, I was thinking logically that they should work with what they have or bump up to a mid sized SUV. I personally hate mini vans anyway. But what really ticked me off is the husband trying to make me feel stupid (all while wearing his pink converse shoes, ya seriously) when its obvious they have no clue on what they are doing. I just heard through the grapevine that they traded in their mini van and bought a V8 Chevy Tahoe.

Good luck. I guess enjoy it now before you gota give all back to the bank.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

Seriously though, I could give a hoot if someone wants to buy a big V8. Since the husband just lost his job two weeks ago and is in a line of work that is not hiring, I was thinking logically that they should work with what they have or bump up to a mid sized SUV. I personally hate mini vans anyway. But what really ticked me off is the husband trying to make me feel stupid (all while wearing his pink converse shoes, ya seriously) when its obvious they have no clue on what they are doing. I just heard through the grapevine that they traded in their mini van and bought a V8 Chevy Tahoe.

Good luck. I guess enjoy it now before you gota give all back to the bank.
ouch and a new tahoe is not cheap and the payments will be steep they sound like they are not facing their own situation. I would not take advice from him. best bet is to research what class you can tow and base the size of the trailer on that.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:09 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Seems like he was trying to convince his wife that he needs a new truck.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:47 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Seems like he was trying to convince his wife that he needs a new truck.
well with the used market full of great trucks/suvs he could get a nice late model for half the price

Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Horsepower is irrelevant. Torque is what pulls the load.
Naw, wind it up to 6,500 rpm and drop it into drive Something is bound to happen!

Old 07-08-2010, 04:06 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Are you sure?

Old 07-08-2010, 04:18 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
The escape with tow package is rated at a higher towing weight then any mini van..

Old 07-09-2010, 12:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Horsepower is irrelevant. Torque is what pulls the load.
I think that was his point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive