Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 05:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,355 times

Advertisements

Hi - (bumping very old thread)

1) Which car insurance companies pay out the true replacement cost of a totaled car without a fight, (or without much of a fight) ?

2) Which car insurance companies have you actually used, who you would recommend, who paid out well, for a totaled vehicle ?

My friend only got $2800. for her totaled car, and we can't find any similar quality car to buy to replace what she lost that costs that little. It makes me worried about what could happen if I totaled my older (but near perfect car) and how badly I would be screwed... unable to get a good car to replace it... car prices are so high lately.

.one of my cars is a perfect condition 1999 chevy lumina with only 10,000 miles on it.

Its perfect inside and out...

These days the price for a six cylinder car in perfect condition probably costs over $12,

maybe $20.

I wouldn't want any car that costs only $3,000. -
which is probably what they'd try to give me, the ones I've seen are all junk.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 05:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I went through a period a few years ago when each of my two oldest kids totalled a car. In the first case it was a 6 year old Taurus and I was paid well over what I had researched as the market value. It's replacement was a 2 year old Cavalier when it was wrecked and again I received well over what I had researched as the market value.

Hi - I know this is a really old thread, but hoping you'll see this.

what insurance company was this, that paid out well enough to replace the car,

and even better than replacement cost ?

Did you pay extra for replacement cost coverage, or just regular payments ?

I want to get replacement amount of coverage - I have a perfect condition car, inside and out,
but the year is 1999. only 10,000miles, and been in a garage, very lightly driven.

To get a replacement car in that good of condition, would cost thousands.

My friend cant get a decent car for the amount the ins. company paid her.
She only got $2800 for her totaled car. cars that price are junk.

Cars cost so much these days.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:07 AM

112 posts, read 379,595 times
5 years ago, I bought a 5spd 95 Integra sedan for $2200. Did some maintenance like timing belt and shocks. So I spent about $3000 in total. Mileage was 100k. A year later it was stolen and I got a check for slightly above $4000 after deductible. Bought an 5spd 02 accord sedan for $3500. Managed to cover my taxes. I am with geico. Pretty happy that I didn't have to spent extra.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:18 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car question View Post
Hi - I know this is a really old thread, but hoping you'll see this.

what insurance company was this, that paid out well enough to replace the car,

and even better than replacement cost ?

Did you pay extra for replacement cost coverage, or just regular payments ?

I want to get replacement amount of coverage - I have a perfect condition car, inside and out,
but the year is 1999. only 10,000miles, and been in a garage, very lightly driven.

To get a replacement car in that good of condition, would cost thousands.

My friend cant get a decent car for the amount the ins. company paid her.
She only got $2800 for her totaled car. cars that price are junk.

Cars cost so much these days.

Erie.

You may have misunderstood what I said. I was paid more for the totaled cars than what I had researched, and believed, to be the fair market value.

It was not enough to straight line replace the car, unless I replaced it with the exact one. In each case the settlement money was used to buy a newer, more expensive car, so I had to put money with it.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:33 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
If you listen to the guy in the Liberty Mutual commercial, replacement value isn’t enough. He wants a NEW car and apparently the insurance company is promising just that.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:33 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Was the $2800 she got paid minus a $500 deductible or whatnot?

I hear what you are saying. We just bought a car for around 5k that had 96k miles on it (a 2005) and we were happy to find that.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If you listen to the guy in the Liberty Mutual commercial, replacement value isn’t enough. He wants a NEW car and apparently the insurance company is promising just that.
I believe they only offer that on fairly new cars and of course you pay a higher premium.

Otherwise, people would go out and buy 3,000 beaters and then ooops *forget* to put the parking brake on the car (it takes very little damage to total a car worth 3k) or leave the keys in it near the mexican border etc.

Too much incentive to commit fraud.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:24 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,870,218 times
We've been with State Farm for over 30 years, and have never had issues with claims. On all of the claims, I got either more than it cost to repair, (on paid off vehicles, I got the check and sourced the parts myself) or I did not have any issues getting them to pay. On my one totaled car last year, they were within $50 of my market value estimate on their first offer. Great thing was I paid $470 less than their offer for the car, 2-1/2 years earlier. I could have bought an exact replacement for what they paid me, but ended up buying a new car for my daughter instead.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:37 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,880,671 times
Every car owner needs to read and understand his or her auto policy. A standard auto policy pays actual cash value for a total loss vehicle. This is the price a car would command on the retail market in the condition it was in before it was wrecked. If you were uninsured at fault and wrecked another persons 1998 Accord would you feel it was fair to be made to pay for a brand new 2015 Accord?

Old 04-10-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Every car owner needs to read and understand his or her auto policy. A standard auto policy pays actual cash value for a total loss vehicle. This is the price a car would command on the retail market in the condition it was in before it was wrecked. If you were uninsured at fault and wrecked another persons 1998 Accord would you feel it was fair to be made to pay for a brand new 2015 Accord?
Like all insurance people want cadillac coverage but balk when they see the price tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive