Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM

758 posts, read 1,235,313 times

Advertisements

Got in a wreck last night, my car keeps steering to the right so I guess I need a ailment....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
I guess it depends if the Sub frame is bent or not...

Might be cheaper to buy the same year/make/model of Honda Civic than fixing the current one if you are not at fault and insurance pays you out for it but that is just in IMO.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Where is the sub frame?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:40 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
Where is the sub frame?

Honda Civic Subframe Removal [Timelapse] - YouTube
this...
A subframe is a structural component of a vehicle, such as an automobile or an aircraft, that uses a discrete, separate structure within a larger body-on-frame or unit body to carry certain components, such as the engine, drivetrain, or suspension. The subframe is bolted and/or welded to the vehicle. When bolted, it is sometimes equipped with rubber bushings or springs to dampen vibration.
The principal purposes of using a subframe are, to spread high chassis loads over a wide area of relatively thin sheet metal of a monocoque body shell, and to isolate vibration and harshness from the rest of the body. For example, in an automobile with its powertrain contained in a subframe, forces generated by the engine and transmission can be damped enough that they will not disturb passengers. As a natural development from a car with a full chassis, separate front and rear subframes are used in modern vehicles to reduce the overall weight and cost. In addition a subframe yields benefits to production in that subassemblies can be made which can be introduced to the main bodyshell when required on an automated line.
There are generally three basic forms of the subframe.
  1. A simple "axle" type which usually carries the lower control arms and steering rack.
  2. A perimeter frame which carries the above components but in addition supports the engine.
  3. A perimeter frame which carries the above components but in addition supports the engine, transmission and possibly full suspension. (As used on front wheel drive cars)
A subframe is usually made of pressed steel panels that are much thicker than bodyshell panels, which are welded or spot welded together. The use of Hydroformed tubes may also be used.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

Might be cheaper to buy the same year/make/model of Honda Civic than fixing the current one if you are not at fault and insurance pays you out for it but that is just in IMO.
Yeah, it is not my fault, yeah, that is what I am thinking of doing

Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 AM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post

Got in a wreck last night, my car keeps steering to the right so I guess I need a ailment....

I think the car already has a significant ailment, as a result of that collision. Perhaps you meant an "alignment"?

As someone already said, the type of accident damage to the car, coupled with the steering problem, makes it likely that something is bent. That could include a tie rod and/or the subframe.

When the subframe is bent, it is not possible to simply align the wheels, as the entire geometry of the front end is "off". If the damage is less severe, it might just involve replacement of a tie rod and/or ball joints + an alignment. Only a careful examination of the car by a competent mechanic will tell the real story.

When an insurance company decides whether or not to "total" a car, they consider the book value of the car as well as the cost of repairs. In other words, $1,000 worth of repairs on an older car in...not so good condition...will likely "total" it, whereas that same $1,000 repair on a newer car would not "total" it.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

I think the car already has a significant ailment, as a result of that collision. Perhaps you meant an "alignment"?

As someone already said, the type of accident damage to the car, coupled with the steering problem, makes it likely that something is bent. That could include a tie rod and/or the subframe.

When the subframe is bent, it is not possible to simply align the wheels, as the entire geometry of the front end is "off". If the damage is less severe, it might just involve replacement of a tie rod and/or ball joints + an alignment. Only a careful examination of the car by a competent mechanic will tell the real story.

When an insurance company decides whether or not to "total" a car, they consider the book value of the car as well as the cost of repairs. In other words, $1,000 worth of repairs on an older car in...not so good condition...will likely "total" it, whereas that same $1,000 repair on a newer car would not "total" it.
Yeah I meant alignment, thank you!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:53 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
There are two definitions of "totalled." Insurance companies define a totalled car as one where the cost to repair the damage is greater than the value of the car. The car guy definition of totalled is a car that is damaged beyond repair regardless of cost.

Given the age of your car the insurance company will probably total it.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
There are two definitions of "totalled." Insurance companies define a totalled car as one where the cost to repair the damage is greater than the value of the car. The car guy definition of totalled is a car that is damaged beyond repair regardless of cost.

Given the age of your car the insurance company will probably total it.
Thank you!

Old 05-10-2012, 11:47 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,779,706 times
Let the insurance company total your car, but tell them you want to keep it. A little duct tape (well maybe a lot), and slowly drive into a tree on the other side to balance out the alignment, and you good for another 100k miles.

Here's a question, say for example the insurance company totals the car and you keep it, you do the body work yourself and make into show room condition again, would the insurance company pay anything if it was involved in a future accident? After all how many times can you total a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive