Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2023, 06:08 AM

6,441 posts, read 3,143,427 times

Advertisements

Problem with all of this "HoF" voting, is that while many people who were involved in the "Grand National" level of NASCAR racing are well known, and hard working, therefore should be considered for induction, there are also dozens of drivers who raced in NASCAR's "local" racing classes, and they, too, have stellar credentials.

I readily admit that I'm a long time fan (close to 60 years worth) of the NASCAR 'asphalt modified' division, and a number of drivers from that group also deserve honorable mention. I think that multi-time modified division champion, Richie Evans, has already been inducted into the HoF, but his fellow competitors, such as prolific car builder and driver, the late Maynard Troyer, NASCAR competition director and former modified driver, Jerry Cook, and former modified standout, Geoff Bodine, all should be in the HoF. While maybe not "big names" on the national stage, these guys were well known in the north east racing arena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 09:51 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Problem with all of this "HoF" voting, is that while many people who were involved in the "Grand National" level of NASCAR racing are well known, and hard working, therefore should be considered for induction, there are also dozens of drivers who raced in NASCAR's "local" racing classes, and they, too, have stellar credentials.

I readily admit that I'm a long time fan (close to 60 years worth) of the NASCAR 'asphalt modified' division, and a number of drivers from that group also deserve honorable mention. I think that multi-time modified division champion, Richie Evans, has already been inducted into the HoF, but his fellow competitors, such as prolific car builder and driver, the late Maynard Troyer, NASCAR competition director and former modified driver, Jerry Cook, and former modified standout, Geoff Bodine, all should be in the HoF. While maybe not "big names" on the national stage, these guys were well known in the north east racing arena.
Theyll run out of big names eventually............................

Old 07-13-2023, 10:30 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Theyll run out of big names eventually............................

Will they?

Now that they've cut it to 3 per year.. It'll at least take a whole lot longer.

Think about the past few, and I suppose, next few years. you've got Harvick, who will be a no doubter. Ryan Newman who will be borderline but most likely in. Kurt Busch who, again, probably kinda borderline but will get in. Kasey Kahne, who I would say would be a no, but.. Hell, he made the 75 greatest. Bowyer, we're not far from Hamlin most likely.. Kyle Busch is still likely a bit away, but.. Further down the road, I suspect Chase Elliott has already made his case. While I don't necessarily agree with that just yet, I suspect he'll be in. Joey Logano. MTJ.

To be honest.. The metrics to get in are.. It's more turning to a Hall of Really Good. But.. Honestly, a true Hall of Fame, they'd probably already be out of people to induct. I said before, Bobby Labonte was.. Quite borderline in my eyes. I thought the championships pushed him over the top, after all, he only won 21 races in Cup.. And being the first to win a Busch and Cup championship, and along with Chase Elliott, still the only one to do it 'naturally', by being a full time Busch driver then moving to a Cup career. While Harvick, Kyle and... Someone else have also done it (Maybe i'm thinking Carl Edwrads incorrectly here) they all were full time cup drivers "Buschwhacking" when they won the Busch championship. Which.. Counts, but is not the same.

Benny Parsons.. Pretty much the exact stats of Bobby, but he had the broadcasting side to help him in.

Davey Allison and Alan Kulwicki.. I'm not taking anything away from them, but. The stats aren't there. They're in because they died during their career. There's a reason Thurman Munson isn't in the baseball HoF. He just didn't have a long enough career.

Dale Jr is.. quite borderline as well strictly based on his driving career.. I mean, his popularity more than anything got him in. Still very possible that with his media stuff that will elevate him as he'll be involved for many a year to come, plus Jr Motorsports as an owner.

Another.. Mike Skinner.. He'll eventually get in based on his Truck career.

I don't know where the line SHOULD be.. But 20 wins and a championship or 40 wins with no championship seems to be the general area. But, we have Buddy Baker with 19 wins and no championship. But, what about the 'big' wins? Ricky Stenhouse shouldn't be a HoFer, but.. He's got a Daytona 500 win..

What about Johnny Benson? Truck and Busch champion. Only the single win in Cup.

And yes.. There's TONS of people from the lower series.. Modifieds, etc that just aren't the 'splashy' names. People that your average NASCAR fan has never heard of.

And.. If we want to go deeper here.. There's not a single track owner/promoter or sponsor executive in that I can think of. Humpy Wheeler. I mean.. Max Helton of MRO. Bruton Smith? T. Wayne Robertson?

Old 07-17-2023, 10:24 AM

Michael McDowell is being reported by Jayski as a replacement for Almirola if he, as expected, retires.

I like McDowell, and I like the idea of him coming up the 'old school' way. Of course, he's 38 years old, so.. I wouldn't expect him to be there a long time.

Wonder if Smithfield is planning on staying. They've really been tied to Almirola and I seem to recall hearing that their contract is up.

Old 07-17-2023, 01:27 PM

Looks like a pretty dominating perfomance by MTJ today.. I wasn't able to watch or listen, just kinda monitoring the race feed on NASCAR.COM.

Should be on my DVR to watch once I get home..

Old 07-18-2023, 05:08 AM

6,441 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Being an MTJ fan, I thought it was an excellent showing by the #19 team. They really had the car dialed in, and MTJ did an excellent job in dealing with the lapped traffic, which was pretty heavy, at times. What surprised me, was the unusually high number of "loose wheel" occurrences after pit stops.

Old 07-18-2023, 07:11 AM

5,172 posts, read 4,943,999 times
I'm disappointed that even having rain tires, that NASCAR decided to move the race to Monday. I've been at a race that was moved to another day (and then when that was rained out, another weekend) and that's been my deciding factor on ever traveling to another race. You pay for airfare, car rental, over-priced hotel rooms ("Special Event" weekend = $$$$), and then get nothing for it. Of course, no refund on tickets either. Shame on NASCAR for what they did to those attending fans that didn't have the option to add another day onto their weekend! Rant over.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:24 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Looks like a pretty dominating perfomance by MTJ today.. I wasn't able to watch or listen, just kinda monitoring the race feed on NASCAR.COM.

Should be on my DVR to watch once I get home..
I'm glad I DVR'd it and able to fast forward through that boring race. Good for MTJ fans I suppose.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I'm disappointed that even having rain tires, that NASCAR decided to move the race to Monday. I've been at a race that was moved to another day (and then when that was rained out, another weekend) and that's been my deciding factor on ever traveling to another race. You pay for airfare, car rental, over-priced hotel rooms ("Special Event" weekend = $$$$), and then get nothing for it. Of course, no refund on tickets either. Shame on NASCAR for what they did to those attending fans that didn't have the option to add another day onto their weekend! Rant over.

It's not rain tires.. It's "Wet Weather Equipment"

I don't disagree with you that everything should be done to run the race on the day. I've been to the Winston twice when it rained.. Once the infamous '01 running where the field wrecked on the first lap. But, the race was eventually run that night.

I didn't see how bad it was raining.. But, this package really isn't meant for RAIN on an oval. It's more meant for a wet track.

Old 07-18-2023, 09:27 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
I was looking at Facebook and noticed the race had been called earlier, but when I looked at the radar there wasnt any rain near the track, and that was like around 11 or 12. Others said there were storms and tornado warnings, so I really dont know. I had no plans to watch it anyways, just flip back and forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing