Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 10:07 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Like the pro wrestler Ted Debiase used to say "everyone has his price."
Ford needs a premier team and Penske can't do it with two cars. Rousch and RPM sure as hell aren't going to get the job done.
I'd say here's the more logical point.. Ford added youth.

Penske is 79, Roush is 73, Petty is 78. The Woods are 90 and 81.

The only one there with continuity would be the Woods. That'll stay in the family.

I brought this up before.. In the next 10 years or so, we're going to have a massive shift in team ownership. In addition to the above.. Joe Gibbs is in his 70's and the succession plan with JD has now gone out the window, though that team will stay in the family. Childress is 70, and that team will likely stay in the family. Rick Hendrick is 66.. Not sure what will become of that if something happened to him.. I don't necessarily see that staying in the family with Ricky out of the picture.

The sport, from ownership side, will be unrecognizable soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 12:15 AM

5,466 posts, read 8,192,532 times
Some drivers will be back to their racing roots, on motorcycles, this Saturday night. At least from the starting line to the first corner:

Supercross Holeshot Challenge Brings NASCAR'S Biggest Stars to Atlanta - Motorcycle USA

Old 02-25-2016, 06:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,033,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Some drivers will be back to their racing roots, on motorcycles, this Saturday night. At least from the starting line to the first corner:

Supercross Holeshot Challenge Brings NASCAR'S Biggest Stars to Atlanta - Motorcycle USA
I'll bet their insurance companies are sooooo happy they're doing this...

Old 02-25-2016, 06:56 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,400,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

The only one there with continuity would be the Woods. That'll stay in the family.

I brought this up before.. In the next 10 years or so, we're going to have a massive shift in team ownership. In addition to the above.. Joe Gibbs is in his 70's and the succession plan with JD has now gone out the window, though that team will stay in the family. Childress is 70, and that team will likely stay in the family. Rick Hendrick is 66.. Not sure what will become of that if something happened to him.. I don't necessarily see that staying in the family with Ricky out of the picture.

We look at NASCAR as fans, sometimes as driver fans and sometimes as manufacturer fans.
The team owners look at NASCAR as a business and sticking to one brand can be bad for business.

Penske has won with Ford, General motors, Chrysler, and American motors so there is no brand loyalty involved with RP. A good racing organization can win with any brand if he has good financial backing.

If Hendrick wanted to run Ford or Toyota he would still win as many races as he does right now.

It's only die hard fans who believe one brand is better than the other of course they aren't spending their money on a race team.

IMO Ford is looking to win the manufacturers championship and the only way to do that is just how Chevy has done it for years. You put more of your cars on the track than the other guys and the odds are in your favor.

With SHR going to Ford it removes four top tier Chevys off the track and replaces them with four top tier Fords.

When Ganassi announces he is also going to Ford thats two more Chevy gone.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:51 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,574,256 times
Quote:

With the exception of Petty, you raise a good point especially from a future perspective. But right now Ford is thin on talent and I wouldn't be surprised to see Roush get nudged off to the side. The Petty family discovered notoriety can only go so far without results backing it up.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
With the exception of Petty, you raise a good point especially from a future perspective. But right now Ford is thin on talent and I wouldn't be surprised to see Roush get nudged off to the side. The Petty family discovered notoriety can only go so far without results backing it up.
Petty is just a figurehead at this point. If he owns any of that company, it's a very, very small percentage.

That team is poised to breakthrough.. They made a bad hire with Hornish (Not a bad driver, bad fit there) and another one with Brian Scott, though he was hired for sponsorship, I believe.

I like Almirola.. I've been saying he's going to be a good, solid driver since back in his Gibbs days. He needs a veteran teammate, and I think he.. Not becomes a top driver, but a driver who wins one or two races a year fairly reliably. And yes, in Petty equipment.

That team, I feel, is just missing small pieces of the puzzle.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:29 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,400,302 times
Quote:
Petty is just a figurehead at this point. If he owns any of that company, it's a very, very small percentage.

That team is poised to breakthrough.. They made a bad hire with Hornish (Not a bad driver, bad fit there) and another one with Brian Scott, though he was hired for sponsorship, I believe.

I like Almirola.. I've been saying he's going to be a good, solid driver since back in his Gibbs days. He needs a veteran teammate, and I think he.. Not becomes a top driver, but a driver who wins one or two races a year fairly reliably. And yes, in Petty equipment.

That team, I feel, is just missing small pieces of the puzzle.
Where do you get those puzzle pieces?

Agree on Hornish, more proof that winning open wheel drivers don't necessarily become winning NASCAR drivers. Pretty sure Penske recognized that. SHR sure knows it.

NASCAR is no different than MLB or the NFL, there are only so many elite players available weather it's drivers or engineers or mechanics.
Hendrick recoginized that,Gibbs, Penske,SHR all recognized that and thats why those teams win.

Jack Roush tried to win with last years stars and you see where that got him. Only now is he trying to bring in better players but the pool has thinned out.
RPM is in the same situation. Where are they going to get elite players?

Ford signing SHR is one of the biggest moves in NASCAR history. They bought half of Hendricks team.

BTW, If i'm a Hendricks engineer and SHR needs a few new top shelf engines, I think i'm saving them for Elliott, Johnson or Jr.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:36 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,836,609 times
Would have been a nice opportunity for Dodge to jump back in with a top tier team. But it's tough to be in NASCAR with only one team. Dodge needs to get back into the Camping World series and build from there.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Where do you get those puzzle pieces?

Agree on Hornish, more proof that winning open wheel drivers don't necessarily become winning NASCAR drivers. Pretty sure Penske recognized that. SHR sure knows it.

NASCAR is no different than MLB or the NFL, there are only so many elite players available weather it's drivers or engineers or mechanics.
Hendrick recoginized that,Gibbs, Penske,SHR all recognized that and thats why those teams win.

Jack Roush tried to win with last years stars and you see where that got him. Only now is he trying to bring in better players but the pool has thinned out.
RPM is in the same situation. Where are they going to get elite players?

Ford signing SHR is one of the biggest moves in NASCAR history. They bought half of Hendricks team.

BTW, If i'm a Hendricks engineer and SHR needs a few new top shelf engines, I think i'm saving them for Elliott, Johnson or Jr.
Agree about SHR.. I think they're going to have a tough year because Hendrick is not going to be in full information sharing mode knowing they're leaving.

Petty could get a top of the line crew chief now.. Especially if they got a top of the line driver.. Where do they get that? Well.. I don't think you get "The Next Big Thing".. And you're not getting a Harvick, Logano, Keselowski or similar.. But.. I do think they could get a Kenseth. Winding down his career, but still a top notch driver. I don't think he re-signs with Gibbs, because I think they're going to move Erik Jones up.. Though there is a possibility they farm either Kenseth or Jones over to Furniture Row.

A move like that, along with a strong crew chief for both Almirola and Kenseth, I think could bump Petty into an contender. Would it keep them there? Would depend on what they do when Kenseth retires, which I think would be within 5 years of today.

Guaranteed? Of course not.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:36 PM

I'll be interested to see what happens at Atlanta.. A VERY fast track, with the new low downforce package. Think you might see a fair number of incidents as this will no doubt be the fastest track they've run this package on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing