Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 03:01 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Some really awful coverage last 10 laps, split screen to wives?! Seriously. Only interesting part of a dull race and the coverage is a split screen. Wow.
Please explain, how was this a dull race? Did your driver not run well? Passing all day long without anybody running away. What were you looking for in this race?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 04:46 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Some really awful coverage last 10 laps, split screen to wives?! Seriously. Only interesting part of a dull race and the coverage is a split screen. Wow.
Where do you go to capture some of the emotion of the race? If it makes you feel any better, there was a time when they would go to FULL screen shots of the wife or girlfriend. The Unser/Fittipaldi and Mears/Johncock battles were epic for that.

Last edited by dbbd; 05-25-2014 at 05:32 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 07:32 PM

675 posts, read 644,609 times
I kind of agree with both sides of the split screen emotions issue, so I guess I'll just let that one go. I will say that I thought the red flag was a bit tacky. That was meant for the more casual fan that can't bear to see a race end under caution. Unless the debris field seriously prevented pace laps being run, which I didn't think was the case.

Bummer outting for Graham Rahal. I used to follow his father avidly as a kid. I guess Graham had an electrical failure?

Old 05-25-2014, 08:30 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
Where do you go to capture some of the emotion of the race? If it makes you feel any better, there was a time when they would go to FULL screen shots of the wife or girlfriend. The Unser/Fittipaldi and Mears/Johncock battles were epic for that.
I'm old enough to remember screen shots of those wives (and those of Michael Andretti's terrible wife - the one they called Pancho Villa's wife during Michael's short and disastrous attempt at Formula 1). I also remember that true racing fans hated it.

When I saw the split-screen with the wives today, I immediately thought, "don't tell me they are doing that again."

Luckily I have a 110" screen so the split-screen wasn't too bad.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:38 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I'm old enough to remember screen shots of those wives (and those of Michael Andretti's terrible wife - the one they called Pancho Villa's wife during Michael's short and disastrous attempt at Formula 1). I also remember that true racing fans hated it.

When I saw the split-screen with the wives today, I immediately thought, "don't tell me they are doing that again."

Wasn't that Sandy? She would wear those gaudy hats that would make you wanna vomit.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:46 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
I kind of agree with both sides of the split screen emotions issue, so I guess I'll just let that one go. I will say that I thought the red flag was a bit tacky. That was meant for the more casual fan that can't bear to see a race end under caution. Unless the debris field seriously prevented pace laps being run, which I didn't think was the case.

Bummer outting for Graham Rahal. I used to follow his father avidly as a kid. I guess Graham had an electrical failure?
I must have been a casual fan for the last 50 years but I hate wins under caution unless there is a last lap caution and the leader has a sizable lead.

Riding around for 5 laps while they clean the track is a waste of viewers time. The worst thing in racing is a green white checker so I really appreciate the red flag so you can resume with some racing laps left.

BTW the track was covered with debris.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:40 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times
I certainly appreciated Indy RED flagging the race to allow a racing finish but at the same time I get Andretti's beef as to when they decide to do that and when they decide not to.. they need to be more consistant.. just simply say any caution with < 10 laps left will result in a red flag to attempt to get a racing finish.. of course there has to be a limit to the number of red flags but Sunday's RED flag worked out perfectly.. but now that we have seen it.. Indy needs to use it more often!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:14 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
As long a humans are making the decisions someone will have a gripe; plain and simple. Some races have to get in within time allowed by television and others will be staying until its finished because of the event importance; for one thing. That is why so many races are limited as to laps or time span which ever come first now days. Racers realize that and most do not gripe but some will always gripe. Marco is one of those types.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

You can hate something but still try to understand it. TV coverage isn't geared toward the "true" fan of any sport.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
As long a humans are making the decisions someone will have a gripe; plain and simple. Some races have to get in within time allowed by television and others will be staying until its finished because of the event importance; for one thing. That is why so many races are limited as to laps or time span which ever come first now days. Racers realize that and most do not gripe but some will always gripe. Marco is one of those types.
I hate saying it because I grew up not far from Nazareth, PA, but the Andretti's tend to complain about a lot of things.

If it weren't for the wall repairs that necessitated, they would have gone back to green with 5 or 6 laps remaining. Can you imagine the uproar if they had just circled the track 9 times? That would have been wrong. Indycar made the right call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing