Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:21 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times

Advertisements

I hate that they've moved the Milwaukee race to the dead of summer. Put it back the week following the Indy 500 where it belongs. That miserable course in Detroit is a buzzkill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 04:50 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Tony George succeeded in starting the death of IndyCar and NASCAR drove in the final nails by forcing out races at tracks like KY

Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I still watch Indy 500 but even its not the race it once was with the speicals and variety. George killed Indy car racing long ago ;in reality.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:58 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,334,227 times
And wait till you see this years qualifying changes for the 500. They ruined it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2014, 05:47 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,582,113 times
New entitlement partner drives innovation, tech

Good for Indycar to have a sponsor like Verizon come on board.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
I thought Verizon has been a sponsor (if only for Penske) for sometime.

Anyway the schedule is fine. I would like to see Circuit of the Americas and maybe an oval or two more (Phoenix International Raceway perhaps) replacing a street course. I don't mind them but I understand the safety concerns after Dario's career ending crash last year during a street course. That said, the shorter schedule is nice and maybe something another racing sanctoning body should look at doing...

I wonder how JPM will do returning to open-wheel. He stunk in NASCAR only getting a handful of top 5's and maybe two handfuls of top 10's and a few road course wins. The current DW12 Indy Cars are different enough from the Champ Cars he previously did good in.

I do wish for more successful American drivers (though my favorite is the Aussie Will Powers) but many American drivers rather be in covered wheels it seems (that or are fine with midgets and silver crowns.) It's kinda sad but it's just the way of the world of motorsports.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I thought Verizon has been a sponsor (if only for Penske) for sometime.

Anyway the schedule is fine. I would like to see Circuit of the Americas and maybe an oval or two more (Phoenix International Raceway perhaps) replacing a street course. I don't mind them but I understand the safety concerns after Dario's career ending crash last year during a street course. That said, the shorter schedule is nice and maybe something another racing sanctoning body should look at doing...

I wonder how JPM will do returning to open-wheel. He stunk in NASCAR only getting a handful of top 5's and maybe two handfuls of top 10's and a few road course wins. The current DW12 Indy Cars are different enough from the Champ Cars he previously did good in.

I do wish for more successful American drivers (though my favorite is the Aussie Will Powers) but many American drivers rather be in covered wheels it seems (that or are fine with midgets and silver crowns.) It's kinda sad but it's just the way of the world of motorsports.
Yeah, they have sponsored Penske cars for a while now, but I feel they're a much better title sponsor than IZOD.

My issue with the street courses is not safety concerns, I just don't think it is brings very good racing. I think Phoenix would be a good replacement and definitely Circuit of the Americas.

I think Montoya will finish 4th-7th in the standings, maybe one win.

IMO they would rather be in covered wheels because that's where the money is. Jeff Gordon was planning for Indy all of his life, but all of a sudden he liked stock cars better. You can't tell me it wasn't because of the money Hendrick offered. Even Kyle Larson hinted that he wanted to be in NASCAR because of how much more exposure he would get vs. Indycar. As for midgets and silver crown cars, I think Indycar has become such a different world that some of the drivers who would be interested just aren't interested anymore, which is sad.

Last edited by American Luxury; 03-15-2014 at 07:06 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 12:04 AM

281 posts, read 327,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I still watch Indy 500 but even its not the race it once was with the speicals and variety. George killed Indy car racing long ago ;in reality.
Amen. Back before George pulled his tantrum the Indy 500 didn't need any gimmicks. They had packed stands for pole day and bump day. In fact they actually had bump days then. Penske got bumped out of the last real Indy 500 back in 1995.

Before the sperm lottery winner pulled his tantrum IndyCar had:

- 4 engine manufacturers
- 3-4 chassis manufacturers
- 1 or 2 ride buyers, the rest were paid do drive fully sponsored cars
- full stands everywhere
- TV ratings that challenged NASCAR

Now look at the steaming turd he has left behind. A spec series with eye searingly ugly cars. Empty stands everywhere. Even the Indy 500 has 25000 empty seats last year.

Formula Tony is going to be lucky to hang onto the races it has never mind adding anymore. If they race at COTA or Phoenix it'll be because they rent the track.

IndyCar racing used to be the most exciting racing on the planet. Now it is a spec series filled with wankers and ride buyers.

Thanks Tony.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:21 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,859,469 times
^^hehe well said. Indy is a joke now-a-days.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:55 PM

IndyCar Ups The Ante For 500-Mile Races | National Speed Sport News

Not a bad move IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing