Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 06:49 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I just read where F1 is now using electric motors. to increase torque. How thrilling.

Where ya been? The KERS system has been in use since the 2009 season and is not so much to increase torque as it is a (IMO lame) effort to give F1 an aura of being a 'green' sport by recovering energy during braking and using it through electric motors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:10 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,197,160 times
The turbo engines do not need more torque. I like the hybrid tech. I cannot stand low tech racing like NASCAR.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:38 AM

5,466 posts, read 8,192,532 times
Quote:
So Americans are not smart enough to build competitive F1 cars? I didn't realize Americans were so lacking in technology.
As the saying goes, you learn something new every day.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:20 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,400,302 times
The one good thing about this forum is that nothing is fact based. I don't believe that there are any F1 team owners posting here so everything posted are just opinions.
So my opinions no matter who disagrees are just as relevant as those F1 fans posting here claiming to be " F1 racing experts".

I will continue to laugh at F1 fans who think their drivers are superior. That's the funniest thing they ever say plus I will still laugh at so called European superiority in technology.

Yes your 1M sports car is superior to our 100K sports cars.

Your 2M F1 car is superior to our 1M Indy car.

Your 2M F1 car is superior to our 200K stock car.

But our racing is more entertaining than your racing. After all isn't that why we all go to races to see great driving or do we go so see a parade of exotic cars playing follow the leader with an occasional pass?

Old 04-17-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
The one good thing about this forum is that nothing is fact based. I don't believe that there are any F1 team owners posting here so everything posted are just opinions.
So my opinions no matter who disagrees are just as relevant as those F1 fans posting here claiming to be " F1 racing experts".

I will continue to laugh at F1 fans who think their drivers are superior. That's the funniest thing they ever say plus I will still laugh at so called European superiority in technology.
As many will continue to laugh at anyone who believes winning in F1 would be a "cake walk" for GM or Ford if they decided to enter. THAT opinion isn't remotely close to having a factual basis.

Quote:
But our racing is more entertaining than your racing. After all isn't that why we all go to races to see great driving or do we go so see a parade of exotic cars playing follow the leader with an occasional pass?
Didn't watch Bahrain, did ya?

But I'll grant you this, NASCAR does hold the record for taking away points earned on a racetrack because someone had a potty mouth in the winner's circle.

That may be entertaining but it sure as hell ain't a racing championship.

Last edited by burdell; 04-17-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 12:01 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,841,178 times
So, Shanghai - 90% chance of rain for qualifying, 30% chance for race day. Another one of those unsettled Qualy days. Must remember to add a couple hours to the recording for Qualifying, since I'll be out of town this weekend. This is another Tilke track, right?

Old 04-17-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The turbo engines do not need more torque. I like the hybrid tech. I cannot stand low tech racing like NASCAR.

In many respects F1 is low tech relative to modern road cars. Just about all modern road cars offer antilock brakes with many having traction and/or stability control, all banned in F1 for what I think is a good reason, it puts more emphasis on the driver.

I just think f1 pretending to be 'green by' mandating KERS is laughable considering they fly many tons of equipment to the far corners of the earth burning who knows how much fuel. I could happily live without KERS, I'd much rather see a return to the days where if you wanted to build a 12 or 16 cylinder engine you were welcome to and if you get it to live at 20,000+ RPM you were also welcome to. I miss the days of things like the 6 wheel Tyrell and the Brabham/Alfa 'fan' car, it was always interesting to watch crative designers push the edges of the rules envelope.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:37 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,500,840 times
Quote:

Yes your 1M sports car is superior to our 100K sports cars.

Your 2M F1 car is superior to our 1M Indy car.

Your 2M F1 car is superior to our 200K stock car.

Just as everyone else has pointed out since you made your "gm/ford would be a walk in the park winning f1 championship if they wanted to" you are extremely delusional.

could they do well if they wanted to? Maybe. Toyota prob has/had more $$$ to "blow" on trying and they didnt take over.. no other manufacturer is going to have some kind of super decoder ring for success that Toyota did not have.

Ford NEVER did as such. Again, sports cars, whether the 60s or now is NOT F1. How did you confuse a GT40 with a formula car? Lol

Old 04-18-2014, 02:18 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,679,096 times
the purpose of a race should be to cover the designated course as fast as possible while using all the technology the rules allow. A race where you cannot use the fastest tires for the entire race, can only change aerodynamics if you are within X distance of another competitor, can only use a button that increases HP X number of times, and whatever restrictions there are on kinetic energy recovery is not a race. That makes about as much sense as saying. "If you are more than X seconds behind you can take a short cut through the parking lot but only 2 times." These things should be either legal or not. I'm not a fan of NASCAR's restrictor plate but at least everyone has one for the entire race.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:24 PM

983 posts, read 1,635,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
So, Shanghai - 90% chance of rain for qualifying, 30% chance for race day. Another one of those unsettled Qualy days. Must remember to add a couple hours to the recording for Qualifying, since I'll be out of town this weekend. This is another Tilke track, right?
100% Tilke track, but it gets good with the very long back straight and a very technical first corner. Judging by practice sessions: Red Bull is a bit closer to Mercedes here, once again Williams and Force India look very good on long runs (not so much on qualy trim, but it will rain anyway), Ferrari looked decent on low fuel, but long runs were not so encouraging. Same could be said of McLaren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing