Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 06:42 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times

Advertisements

The restrictor plate races should be removed from the schedule or just remove the restrictor plates. (their already doing 200mph so throw that excuse out the window)
Since anybody can win these races with just some luck and help from somebody else they are just demonstration races for the ill informed new fan.

Since the fan favorite Big One did not happen yesterday, NASCAR may have to come up with some new rules to insure future "accidents." NASCAR does not want to lose some of it's new fans who just watch for the crash.

Anybody remember the slingshot pass where you ride the bumper of the leader and then power pass him by yourself?

Baseball, Football,Basketball are team sports, NASCAR should not be a team sport.

Jr helping Johnson to lead laps by keeping Kenseth behind is team like play and it sucks. After all NASCAR is not F1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 07:24 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,809,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
The restrictor plate races should be removed from the schedule or just remove the restrictor plates. (their already doing 200mph so throw that excuse out the window)
Since anybody can win these races with just some luck and help from somebody else they are just demonstration races for the ill informed new fan.

Since the fan favorite Big One did not happen yesterday, NASCAR may have to come up with some new rules to insure future "accidents." NASCAR does not want to lose some of it's new fans who just watch for the crash.

Anybody remember the slingshot pass where you ride the bumper of the leader and then power pass him by yourself?

Baseball, Football,Basketball are team sports, NASCAR should not be a team sport.

Jr helping Johnson to lead laps by keeping Kenseth behind is team like play and it sucks. After all NASCAR is not F1.
NASCAR will have to take a hard look at this because the are seriously losing the fan base. Dega was at best half full yesterday.

NASCAR may be concerned with liability if the cars start going 210 or more, but it was draw fans back.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:47 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,117 times
I thought yesterday's race was great. I didn't much like the finish but that doesn't take away from the the race as a whole.

I am not sure Jr kept Kenseth behind him to help Jimmy as much as he did it to help himself. I am not sure what he was suppose to do.. let Kenseth pass him so he doesn't appear to be helping Jimmy? Jr, Jimmy and Kenseth for a while had the best cars in the field and they each took turns leading laps.. if Kenseth wants to lead more laps, he needs a better car.. at least yesterday he did.

Jr was there to win, i don't think he thought much about Kenseth or Jimmy during the race. He wrecked neither one so I don't see how Kenseth fans can look down on him for anything..

Old 10-21-2013, 11:53 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Talladega was not as exciting as I hoped it would be. Seemed like everyone was playing it safe. Finally some racing at the last lap and then the caution and the race was frozen. I need 5 hours of my life back. I skipped watching my Chargers thinking this race would be awesome, (but they were playing the Jags, so not such a sacrifice). I think I saw 30 seconds of racing in those five hours. Well no major wrecks which I guess was good, but boring for fans.

I was waiting for Jr. to take it home, at least he came in second.

Now JJ is in the lead, and I think it is still a five man race. I hope Jr. and Jeff Gordon still have a shot.
That is the way the new plate racing is to me. It is all but the last ten laps of parade laps.

The issue with the last lap was that Jr had to wait so long to not do it too soon. Sadly by that point Stenhouse Jr. got Dillon aero loose and caused the wreck.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:36 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,235 times
Quote:

It has been said without plates the cars could go 220mph or better and I think that is what scares NASCAR.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:

I don't mind pushing in NASCAR. Motorsports when it comes to teams always has help from other teams. Some teams are strictly R&D teams to try things out within the box that you may not want to gamble on with a points race.

As for teams pushing others, what is wrong with that? The draft has existed for years ad would often be slingshots or two or three lines of cars trying to pass for the lead. Remember the exciting starts of the race anyone?

Old 10-21-2013, 05:30 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,582,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is the way the new plate racing is to me. It is all but the last ten laps of parade laps.

The issue with the last lap was that Jr had to wait so long to not do it too soon. Sadly by that point Stenhouse Jr. got Dillon aero loose and caused the wreck.
He did not get Dillon aero loose. Dillon blocked and that was that.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:42 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
He did not get Dillon aero loose. Dillon blocked and that was that.

Next year I am watching my football games and then tuning in for the final ten laps. This is what is on the NASCAR website explaining the last lap and why patience did not pay for Jr.

"With the front 15 or so cars streaking single file down the back straightway for the final time, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., running fourth, made a move to the inside of third-place Dillon. When Dillon moved to block, Stenhouse "tried to get back to the top," he said, but got into the Stewart-Haas Racing entry instead.
The contact turned Dillon's car, sending it toward the outside wall. Casey Mears, running behind the incident, was caught up in the fray."

Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It has been said without plates the cars could go 220mph or better and I think that is what scares NASCAR.
NASCAR also has gear rules that they now use. Nobody is going to turn those engines 10,000 rpm if that's what it would take to run 220 MPH

The restrictor plate does not allow enough HP to push those cars much faster then they do now.

Put those Martinsville gears in the cars unrestricted at Talladega and they would be lucky to hit 125.
The right gear can keep those cars at any speed NASCAR wants even unrestricted.

The easiest way to control top speed unrestricted is with gears but that would do away with pack racing. NASCAR likes pack racing on the big tracks and so do the fans of the Big One.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:01 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
probably mush faster that 220. remember that bill elliot holds the nascar qualifying record at talledega at 213mph, and that was done back in 1987.

Quote:
NASCAR also has gear rules that they now use. Nobody is going to turn those engines 10,000 rpm if that's what it would take to run 220 MPH

The restrictor plate does not allow enough HP to push those cars much faster then they do now.

Put those Martinsville gears in the cars unrestricted at Talladega and they would be lucky to hit 125.
The right gear can keep those cars at any speed NASCAR wants even unrestricted.

The easiest way to control top speed unrestricted is with gears but that would do away with pack racing. NASCAR likes pack racing on the big tracks and so do the fans of the Big One.
i agree, make the teams use a 4.56 or 4.88 gear. it actually wouldnt do away with pack racing though as even in the old days before restrictor plates there were packs of cars running in the draft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing