Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:10 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,375,456 times

Advertisements

It use to be you had to get your seats for Bristol Motor speedway a year or two ahead of time and yet today there were way to many empty seats. What's up with that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,121,810 times
Many reasons for empty seats.
The ridiculous costs of everything- parking, admission, program, food, drink. And $4.00 gas to get there.
43 cars all exactly the same, using the same NASCAR approved engine, trans, rear, tires. If the name of the manufacturer wasn't on the car, you wouldn't know what it was. [btw- where can you buy a 2 door Impala?]Overly strict rules and regulations. Way too many 'yellow flags.' Many people have decided to stay home and watch the race on TV. But then there's even less people watching the race on TV these days. Could it be the people in the booth? I no longer watch FOX/Speed coverage because I don't like 'Larry'. Could there be a 'blackout' ala NFL at a track near you in the future? Or it could be as simple as people losing interest in NASCAR.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:23 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,959,270 times
I agree somewhat with the previous poster, however I can add these two words to those reasons... Progressive banking.

Once they reengineered the track in 2007(?) to the progressive banking, the racing there has become totally boring. Bristol was the epitome of "rubbin' is racing". Drivers had a lot of incidental contact, sometimes resulting in cage rattling, bump & runs, and short tempers all leading up to a well deserved trophy to the winner.

Now it's considered to be the 1/2 mile version of the boring, homogenized, 1.5 mile cookie cutter tracks. I certainly don't watch racing for the wrecks, but I really want to see some action on the track!

The excitement of paying for tickets and travel to see the "best show in Nascar" is now less appealing since the Bristol races have become a humdrum affair that alot of fans literally fall asleep watching. I can vouch for that statement in all seriousness.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:15 PM

890 posts, read 1,854,962 times
I agree more with Stripes17's theory when it comes to Bristol. I was a Bristol season tickholder from 1996-2011. I was on a waiting list for tickets for two years before Bruton Smith bought the track and started the massive grandstand expansion.

Ever since they redid the banking it's been harder and harder to find anyone who wants the tickets when we were unable to attend. Most of the time we were able to keep it in the family; other times they went on ebay. I never gouged anyone - if I broke even I was fine with it and was still able to sell rather easily. Last year I lost money for the first time.

Some of it can be attributed to the economy and NASCAR rules..I also think the March date hurts some.
But overall Bristol went from a place that you HAD to bump and rub to a miniature Dover. The racing is still good, it's just different than what the hardcore fans are used to. Some could say the races before the banking was redone were freight train races...one groove only. Now there is plenty of room, and a lot of long green flag runs.

It will be interesting to see what the crowd is like in August. I still say if you have never been to Bristol you must go. It is an amazing atmosphere at night. But again, it's still a little different.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:08 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,444,782 times
IMO the biggest reason for empty seats is the cost. Tickets, food, parking,fuel.

Of course if Jr was winning there would be less empty seats.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:24 AM

3,872 posts, read 4,099,923 times
Believe all the empty seats was due to Shrub being taken out of the race early. No need sticking around there.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:03 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,077,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Many reasons for empty seats.
The ridiculous costs of everything- parking, admission, program, food, drink. And $4.00 gas to get there.
43 cars all exactly the same, using the same NASCAR approved engine, trans, rear, tires. If the name of the manufacturer wasn't on the car, you wouldn't know what it was. [btw- where can you buy a 2 door Impala?]Overly strict rules and regulations. Way too many 'yellow flags.' Many people have decided to stay home and watch the race on TV. But then there's even less people watching the race on TV these days. Could it be the people in the booth? I no longer watch FOX/Speed coverage because I don't like 'Larry'. Could there be a 'blackout' ala NFL at a track near you in the future? Or it could be as simple as people losing interest in NASCAR.
Your ost only shows one thing ;tha you don't lke NASCAR racing.But others havig filled seats and the fact as poited out tat it was previously filed says something. One thing maybe however the rsiig cost and the quality of televison. Ceetainly beig able to see the car entriely on the track is a draw to live attnedance. perhaps the econmy?All racig has chnaged because of want more of a exciting race;look at F1 rule changes giving huge advatge to followig car to get some passing.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 AM

890 posts, read 1,854,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
IMO the biggest reason for empty seats is the cost. Tickets, food, parking,fuel.

Of course if Jr was winning there would be less empty seats.
or Danica.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:00 PM

3,872 posts, read 4,099,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
or danica.:d
Nice one!

Old 03-19-2012, 03:45 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,375,456 times
You guys have pretty much said what I have been thinking mostly about the $$$$$$$$. And also the sport has become very sterile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing