Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:48 PM

8 posts, read 27,106 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am strongly considering pursuing a PhD at UT Austin. Assuming I'm admitted and funded, I would be moving next summer. It's a huge move, but I'm excited to embark upon this adventure. I've spent time in Dallas and Houston on business over the years, but I've never been to your lovely city. I have read quite a bit on this forum, but I wanted to ask a few specific questions.

1. Where to live? I will be taking a 75% pay cut and I'm petrified about housing. I am currently in Washington, DC (astronomical cost of living), so I look forward to less expensive housing, but I'm overhwhelmed by the discussions on various neighborhoods. My wish list: Excellent elementary and middle school, 3 bedrooms, $1000 or less, SFH or TH, reasonable commute to UT. From everything I've read to date, it seems that Hyde Park, Round Rock and Pflugerville (sp?) would be options to consider. Anything other suggestions?

2. Any non-traditional students on this forum? I'll be 42 when I make the move and my program will be about 3 years. I'd love to connect with any other people making that kind of change in mid-life.

3. Suggestions for August visit? I plan to come out this August to check out the city and the campus with my nine year old daughter. Any suggestions on must-sees? I would also love any insight on culturally specific areas (hair salons, church, organizations....we are African American) to check out.

Thank you in advance for your help. I think forums like this are invaluable and I greatly appreciate any information provided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 PM

16 posts, read 26,308 times
Default suggestions for move

For a move I suggest making use of apartment locator service. There are plenty here in Austin. Usually they will work for a fee provided by the apartment, it should not cost you a cent. I used one and am pleased. When I moved here to Austin, it was a renters market, lots of incentives. I do not think it has changed much since then. If you are thinking about renting a house there are realtors that will work with you.

Perhaps you might want to talk to someone (the advisor) from the department you applied to. He or she should be able to provide you with some information. I am sure there is an African-American graduate student organization at UT that can be helpful. Austin is very diverse, there is something for everyone. Of course, some neighborhoods are safer and more appealing than others.

Check out the Austin Chronicle it is a weekly that has lots of info. Plus, use the internet to find out more info about the locator services here in town.

Hope this is helpful

Old 05-26-2010, 08:03 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times
Consider that Round Rock and Pflugerville are significantly further away from campus than Hyde Park. I know that you may not be spending a lot of time actually on campus depending on what type of PhD you're pursuing, but if you think you might spend a decent amount of time there, I assume that you'd want to be closer since you have a kiddo going to school. You could also consider neighborhoods just east of I35 closer to campus, they have the added "benefit" of being a bit more ethnically diverse. You should also look into graduate student housing, I don't know exactly what you need to qualify, but some of the places aren't bad at all for the amount that you pay. They have some nice places (location wise at least and close to good schools) off of Lake Austin Blvd that are for grad students with kids, but again, I'm not sure exactly what their requirements are and I seem to remember the waiting list being quite long (so sign up as soon as you can).

Old 05-27-2010, 12:29 PM

108 posts, read 254,539 times
Brackenridge is running by UT housing department. Apply on UT housing website and you will get it in around 6 month. It is the best housing you will get if you can get a 2 bedroom apartment in brackenridge.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 PM

Many thanks for all the feedback....I didn't get an alert and didn't know I had responses!

All excellent advice--I will keep up my research. Have a great evening.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:07 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,568 times
I was in exactly your same situation a few years ago.

I suggest you rent in the Far West area. Doss elementary, Murchison middle, Anderson high are good. You can take the UT Shuttle from the Far West to campus in just 15-20 minutes.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:55 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vironica.ee View Post
Brackenridge is running by UT housing department. Apply on UT housing website and you will get it in around 6 month. It is the best housing you will get if you can get a 2 bedroom apartment in brackenridge.
This is BY FAR your best option - the actual housing is not that great - but you are in the heart of one of the most desirable areas of Austin, v. good public schools - a ten minute bus ride to campus - you don't want to drive - parking on campus is very, very BAD!- plus walking distance to the lake, a grocery store, a coupla restaurants and bars and a beautiful spring fed public pool - Deep Eddy. If you can get it, GRAB it! Also no more than a $6 cab ride from downtown on nights when some other grad student will babysit ( and there is a real sense of community in Brackenridge) and all that downtown Austin offers!

Far West would be fine too, but nowhere as attractive or convenient as Brackenridge!

Old 06-14-2010, 08:43 PM

I met with my colleague who finished her PhD there a couple of years ago and she didn't have great things to say about Brackenridge, but I've seen great things on this board about the location and convenience. Plus, I think the middle school was really strong if I recall correctly--I'll have to go back to my notes. My daughter will be starting 5th grade, so middle school is my greatest concern, as we will most likely be in Austin for 3-4 years.

I plan to visit in August and I'll try to visit both areas. It is such a major life decision, but I am SO excited. Thanks for the insight!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 AM

14 posts, read 24,273 times
What did you end up doing? I'm in a similar situation, except I think I want to buy as renting from UT seems like throwing away money if I will be there a good 4 years and the housing market in Austin is predicted by every analyst ever to be stable/great.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyforashes11 View Post
What did you end up doing? I'm in a similar situation, except I think I want to buy as renting from UT seems like throwing away money if I will be there a good 4 years and the housing market in Austin is predicted by every analyst ever to be stable/great.
The OP has not posted since 2010 so may not be active in this forum anymore. I do think it is a sure bet that housing values will be appreciating over the next 4 years and beyond, so investing is a good idea. But make sure you can afford the extra costs of owning a home, such as higher utilities, property taxes, homeowner's insurance, repair and maintenance. You can reduce those costs if you do a lot of the later your selves. Anyone who can earn a graduate degree is certainly smart enough to learn how to do most of their own home repairs. There are lots of YouTube videos that help show you step by step how to repair things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin