Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:19 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,821 times

Advertisements

I'll be attending UT this Fall, grad student,

biology sciences (24th & Speedway area, north end of campus?)
have car but prefer to bike or use public transportation
would like to find pet friendly housing so I can bring my 10 lb dog
I really like quiet, not much of a party go-er
prefer 1 bedroom, but will consider room mate for cost splitting
would like to be close to grocery (Sprouts, Whole Foods, HEB)
looking for safe apartment neighborhood for female student
not particular about fancy place/pool/amenities, just want clean & safe
anything in $600-800 range you can suggest?

I'll be searching the archives here this weekend but wondering about current info too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 05:52 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
northwest hills along wood hollow is swarming with students

Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM

111 posts, read 137,126 times
I used to live in Oak Park apts, 45th & Duval, and I think the apts there are in that price range, and on public transportation to school, and close to HEB and Central Market.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:18 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogo35 View Post
I used to live in Oak Park apts, 45th & Duval, and I think the apts there are in that price range, and on public transportation to school, and close to HEB and Central Market.
That is a good area. North of Campus is generally less crazy then West of campus which attracts a lot of undergrads. To be within biking distance pretty much limits you to those areas.

UT runs a great student shuttle bus that goes to areas like Far West Blvd., which is popular for married and graduate students and can give you more options, but then you would not be within biking distance. I believe they do have bike racks on the front of the buses, as do all Austin Capital metro buses, which can give you more flexibility.

http://www.utexas.edu/parking/transp...ttle/index.php

There are several map based websites that allow you to set filters for price, and pets allowed. Pets really reduce your options.

https://www.padmapper.com/

Everything Austin Apartments - A map of apartments in Austin, Texas

Old 03-09-2013, 03:16 PM

The Oak Park website looked promising but there's no way for me (or even my parents as lease guarantors) to meet the financial qualifications...monthly income of 3-1/2times the monthly rent!

I also looked at the Tanglewood Apt site. That looks a bit promising if I can find someone to room with as it would actually be cheaper to split a 2BR place. At that complex they pay the utilities includig electiic and gas.

So how high are utitilities? I'm thinking I will be on campus at least 5 days per week, so we don't have to blast AC during the day, just enough to keep my little dog comfy. Is the water bill expensive? I noticed a lot of places don't include the water bill in the rent. I'm not much into cable tv or anything (nor will I have the time) but I will need internet service. Who are the best and most reasonable providers in the area?

I'm guessing if I split rent in a 2BR that I can xpect to pay at least $100-125/month for gas/elec/water/internet?

I noticed that by splitting rent I might be able to find something for around $600-800 (x 2 people) for the rent.

Does this sound about right?

Old 03-09-2013, 03:38 PM

111 posts, read 137,126 times
You should contact Oak Park -- I didn't have 3.5-times the monthly rent when I rented from them, and I doubt other students did either.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:47 PM

And what's with the apartment locator sites? Even on CL it redirects you to a real estate site and you have to register to get info. Is this really the way to go? Should I just send requests to a bunch of these?

I'm also waiting on info from my UT colleagues. The current students I met while there said the GC for the dept can be a big help and may even have a packet to send me on housing. And the Grad Student Assoc in my dept seems to be pretty active with a newsletter. So I'm hoping now that Ihave my acceptance I will be able to view their current newsletter. Maybe someone will be looking for a room mate or know of a great place.

But what about these locator sites? and how do you know if any particular one is good?

Old 03-09-2013, 05:01 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
apartment locators in Austin are legit! It is a good way to find an apartment, Habitat Hunters is still out there, I used them 20+ years ago when I was a new grad student and new to Austin.

Austin Apartment Locators | Austin Homes For Sale | Austin Commercial Real Estate

Your department will probably be able to help too. Your estimate of utilities sounds about right, you can ask about average utility bills at each complex, they should have an idea. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 PM

12 posts, read 26,747 times
I second centralaustinite's suggestion of apartment locators...there may be a few bad apples, but overall I've only heard good experiences with them.

Otherwise, the two other options I have are apartments near CapMetro's Park&Ride Stations, where you can take Express Shuttles to UT for free. The most popular one is probably 983 along 183 heading down MoPac, with one running every 30 minutes or so and you see students, even some faculty/staff riding every morning.

If you happen to be well-connected or adventurous, go find referrals, and knock on a few doors in the Hyde Park neighborhood (the area around famous Hyde Park Grill -- their chicken tender is amazing if you haven't ate there yet). Some owners lease out a room for $450~$800, depending on the home and other amenities, dinner, etc. they provide you.

Just be careful not to fall for those notoriously sketchy "Student Apartments" around Austin, I've heard a number of horror stories about them.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:39 PM

I've been concentrating my internet searches on the UT north and Hyde Park areas so far. I guess if I share an apartment I will be able to stay within my budget. I live out of state so don't have the ability to find something that only a local could find. And it looks like I will have to book a place soon as it appears the better places fill up around March/April for August. I was hoping to wait until school lets out in May to make a trip down there so I can see the actual apartments for myself. But then I might not get a place.

I am going to contact my graduate coordinator this week as well as some current students I met when I interviewed. Maybe someone is graduating this year and giving up a good place.

Any other ideas??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: