Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 07:04 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times

Advertisements

I got burned out on coconut - after having those palms in our yard for 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 09:42 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
I really don't care much for Aruba tbh. Maybe because it is a desert island, but my favorite beaches are found in the Yucatan / Quintana Roo area of Mexico and the Virgin Islands. I love Jamaica, but didn't really go for the beach. Instead I traveled into the interior. The 151 proof punch is the bomb. Poverty is real in many tourist areas, that is why I wholeheartedly believe in tipping locals generously.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:18 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I lived in the El Morro fortress on the tip of Old San Juan 1950-54. That US Army post (Fort Brooke - HQ of the Antilles Command) was deactivated in 1967 and the place was handed over to the US Park Service. They demolished all US military built structures to "restore" the grounds.
I knew almost every square foot of that old fort, as it was my playground for close to 4 years. There were many a gorgeous tropical sunsets over San Juan Bay to be admired from our back patio. Had coconut & papaya trees in our yard and hibiscus for shrubbery around our quarters. A large Flamboyant tree shaded the patio, and was beautiful red when it bloomed.

Dad had an opportunity to buy 40 acres of beautiful undeveloped beachfront property lined with coconut trees several miles east of San Juan for $100/acre, but passed because he thought we'd never get back down there. The Rockefeller family acquired the same property and integrated it with adjacent acreage to build their first Caribbean resort a year or two later.
That's about the same time they bought 2/3 of St. Johns Island in the US Virgin Islands & donated it to the Park Service as a preserve.

Wonderful memories from long ago.
We hiked through all of El Morro and were so impressed. To think that was one of the earliest portions of Spanish civilization in the new world. The only place older is the Dominican Republic which is where Columbus landed. Speaking of history the history of Haiti and the Dominican Republic showed the difference between Spanish and French history in the New World. The French viewed the New World as a place where they could cultivate the land and so they imported lots of slaves. They ruined the land because they over cultivated it. Spain viewed the New World as a source of gold, silver, and other minerals so the Dominican Republic was viewed as more of a way station to Mexico. The Spanish elite married the locals. The French elite took the slaves as mistresses (it was non optional for the slaves). These events foreshadowed an eventual dominance by Spain and eventually forced French to lose all possessions in North America. But the one thing the French are good at is cultural immersion or "assimilation" as they say. The French language and culture is still live in Haiti, St. Lucia, and other islands. To this day I'm still amazed that the French culture has stuck around in Louisiana, Quebec, and other former French holdings. They lost the land but the people kept the culture. Anyway I'm rambling...

Old 06-23-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I got burned out on coconut - after having those palms in our yard for 4 years.
Coconut only belongs on cake and in alcoholic drinks if you ask me. I do like pina colada.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I really don't care much for Aruba tbh. Maybe because it is a desert island, but my favorite beaches are found in the Yucatan / Quintana Roo area of Mexico and the Virgin Islands. I love Jamaica, but didn't really go for the beach. Instead I traveled into the interior. The 151 proof punch is the bomb. Poverty is real in many tourist areas, that is why I wholeheartedly believe in tipping locals generously.
I hiked Dunn River Falls, that was pretty cool.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:19 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,820 times
I really love the beaches of Northern Calif - Half Moon Bay, and Mendocino are a couple of my favorites...

Old 06-24-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I really love the beaches of Northern Calif - Half Moon Bay, and Mendocino are a couple of my favorites...
Stinson Beach is nice. Pick a late summer/early fall day when there's no fog and it's great. I have great memories of playing volleyball on the beach there. Great times...

Old 06-24-2018, 08:32 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Agreed. Totally different kind of beach. Incredible views along Hwy 1.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:27 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,701 times
I have been to South Padre once and Port A once. I think South padre is much nicer.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,503,825 times
You can't drive on the beach in South Padre though...correct?
I do love the fact that you can still drive on the beach on North Padre..Port Aransas, Corpus, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin