Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:04 AM

55 posts, read 337,554 times

Advertisements

For those whose love the beach, please share your opinions about South Padre Island. What is the airport code of SPI? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 09:48 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
I believe the airport is actually Harlingen - HRL. Frankly, if I'm going to drive, I'd rather go to Port Aransas. If I'm going to fly, I'd rather go to Florida. I may be in the minority, but I was not impressed with South Padre at all. For a Texas beach, I think Port A has a lot going for it - great places to stay, good restaurants and the city of Corpus Christi in close proximity for more entertainment options. SW is running specials right now (as is Jet Blue) and you can probably fly into Ft Myers or Ft Lauderdale for not much more that a flight to S. Padre.

In all fairness though, I haven't been in many years. Maybe you'll get some other positive opinions.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:04 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,337 times
I grew up 30 minutes from South Padre Island so I might have a biased opinion, but I think it's a great vacation spot! The beach there doesn't have clear blue water or anything like that, but there's plenty to do down there, and it's not as fast paced as other beaches like those in Florida. There's some really good fishing there, Parasailing, jet ski rentals, horse back riding, nightclubs, electric car rentals/dune buggys, and great food. Every Friday night there's a huge Fireworks display on the Bay, right in front of Louie's Backyard which is really nice. You'd fly to Harlingen and then take a shuttle or rent a car to South Padre, which is about a 30 minute drive. I would recommend renting a car since you'll need it to get around, especially since it's so HOT. Let me know if you need anymore details.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:27 PM

76 posts, read 424,037 times
Totally agree with AustinTexan. Padre is a fun place. We get together there with friends each summer. It's fun for the kids as well as the grown-ups. I did notice this year that the rental price for our condo (same one as last year) went up. And it appears that they've extended peak season a week longer in August. But all in all, it's definitely worth checking out!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:47 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Just went there for the first time in late March. What we liked about it, is the fact that it's not overdeveloped like Florida's beaches. If you are into fishing, camping on a beach, birdwatching or just not seeing high-rises forever, it's really cool. Sure, the water isn't clear and blue:the western Gulf is a repository of all of Texas' great rivers! But the sunrises are beautiful.

Warning though: Don't go anywhere near spring break unless you're into that sort of thing. We aren't but it was the only time we were able to make it there to visit family. Unfortunately, it was also Holy week, so add thousands more...it was pretty crazy. My guess is that like Florida, Nov-Feb would be the best time to visit.

here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
South Padre Island Opinions-gettin-chased.jpg  

Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Just went there for the first time in late March. What we liked about it, is the fact that it's not overdeveloped like Florida's beaches. If you are into fishing, camping on a beach, birdwatching or just not seeing high-rises forever, it's really cool. Sure, the water isn't clear and blue:the western Gulf is a repository of all of Texas' great rivers! But the sunrises are beautiful.

Warning though: Don't go anywhere near spring break unless you're into that sort of thing. We aren't but it was the only time we were able to make it there to visit family. Unfortunately, it was also Holy week, so add thousands more...it was pretty crazy. My guess is that like Florida, Nov-Feb would be the best time to visit.

here's a pic:
If you can go somewhere else, go. If you like it quite and peaceful and to say there's a lot to do.. well you havn't seen much. Weather is dreadful, water is dirty, not much development (and there's a good reason why that is)

Come to CA, we have all kinds of beaches to choose from, not to mention cool weather. Just bring a yet suit if it's not hot cuz esp in NoCal, the water can be chilly!

Old 05-19-2008, 02:42 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
If you can go somewhere else, go. If you like it quite and peaceful and to say there's a lot to do.. well you havn't seen much. Weather is dreadful, water is dirty, not much development (and there's a good reason why that is)

Come to CA, we have all kinds of beaches to choose from, not to mention cool weather. Just bring a yet suit if it's not hot cuz esp in NoCal, the water can be chilly!
Um, we're not talking about California beaches, the OP asked about S Padre. Why? Because this is an Austin, Texas relocation forum. As far as the statement about "not seeing much", that's an arrogant thing to say. I'm assuming that was directed at me since you quoted my post. I've seen plenty of this country's beaches: up and down both east and west coasts as well as both of Florida's coasts. My family owns a condo near St. Petersburg Beach. I still enjoyed S. Padre because it was still the ocean. It was a nice getaway and it was cheap. The dunes were cool and the bird watching is great. If you want to swim in clear, tropical waters, go to Mexico or the Caribbean. If you want to surf, go to California. If you want a quick getaway that's cheap and still scenic, and within driving distance, try some areas of the Texas Gulf.

And my point about lack of development was a positive statement. I've seen enough beach-front development to last me a lifetime.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:51 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Um, we're not talking about California beaches, the OP asked about S Padre. Why? Because this is an Austin, Texas relocation forum. As far as the statement about "not seeing much", that's an arrogant thing to say. I'm assuming that was directed at me since you quoted my post. I've seen plenty of this country's beaches: up and down both east and west coasts as well as both of Florida's coasts. My family owns a condo near St. Petersburg Beach. I still enjoyed S. Padre because it was still the ocean. It was a nice getaway and it was cheap. The dunes were cool and the bird watching is great. If you want to swim in clear, tropical waters, go to Mexico or the Caribbean. If you want to surf, go to California. If you want a quick getaway that's cheap and still scenic, and within driving distance, try some areas of the Texas Gulf.

And my point about lack of development was a positive statement. I've seen enough beach-front development to last me a lifetime.
Well, having been there over a dozen times myself. sorry, there isn't much. It's a beach, nothing more. I noticed how you didn't argue the cleaniness factor or weather. But yet, if you're in Austin and need to go to a beach, padre is fine. But having to been to plenty myself, it is nothing that catches my eye.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:52 PM

76 posts, read 424,037 times
Wow. I think you've illustrated the why many times Californians undeservingly get a bad wrap here in the Lone Star State. Generally, us Texans don't take kindly to insults about our home. And when I say "Texans", I mean us natives AND the nice people who got here as quick as they could.

Honey, I've been to plenty of beaches myself, California, Florida, and both coasts of Mexico. South Padre may not be the prettiest, but if you didn't have a good time there, that's your own fault. I'll take a Corona, a little Robert Earl Keen on the stereo, good conversation all while watching the kids play in the South Padre Island surf over most "prettier" beaches any day. For many of us, it's about as close to a Texas paradise as you can get. But then again, "Texas" is as much a state of mind as it as place.

Now I want you to know that I don't mean any insult to California, but just be a little nicer to us, especially on an Austin board.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:07 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
He did argue the cleanliness factor...much of it isn't pollution. It's because our beaches are in a gulf, not open sea and the rivers emptying into the gulf drop lots of sediment. I'm sure rivers empty into the sea on the West Coast too, but again, it's not bowl shaped there like it is here to trap the sediment. And yes, I have been to East Coast and West Coast beaches and still like my Texas beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin