Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:55 PM

347 posts, read 1,568,262 times

Advertisements

Which roads are the best/worst for commuting (in general)? Which are toll roads? Are there any more freeways being built right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 07:39 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,711,113 times
35 and mopac are bad. I 30 is the toll road and there is still construction being done on certain legs of it. There are other roads slated to be tolls, I think, but don't know which ones.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:04 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,657,683 times
Over here in Leander, we have been here a week and hubby drives 183 down to Mopac and gets off at Braker and he said so far its been pretty easy. Said the stop and go traffic seems to start around Braker. I drove around the area here yesterday finding things and its seems they are building a large interchange over here they have the 183/45 parts done but are adding 620(?) went a few places around that intersection but have no clue if I would ever be able to get there again!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:11 AM

389 posts, read 1,572,440 times
Default mopac

For south or SW people, mopac (1) from the river to 183 is horrendous, and there's no alternate, or at least none that sames much time. (we would love to be shown wrong here!)

@ rush hour, from 183 headed south on mopac can sometimes take 45min to go about 6 miles.. but once you pass the mall/river it lets up for the most part.

The main problem with Austin traffic is the lack of a loop road, its basically a north south battle. The "360" loop is a great highway but its littered with stoplights. Austin appears allergic to cloverleafs but loves access roads with 4way stops and or stoplights. But thats what is keeping the town wierd/cool!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:03 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
I HATE the 'Y'* in Oakhill. I tried to go get my car registration (long story) at 3:30 pm on yesterday (Thursday) out on hwy 71 at the 'new' court and tax complex. Exited off mopac south and didn't even get to Monterrey Oaks before the back-up hit - that is about 2 miles before the light at the 'Y'. I had to be somewhere and gave up and 'U-ed' at Monterrey Oaks.

Today, I went ~11:00am, and the traffic out there was manageable, but coming back down 71 to the 'Y' took 5 or 6 changes of the light. Ugh!

I have no idea what it is like in the rush hours, but don't really want to know .

*The 'Y' in Oakhill is where 290 west splits from 71 west. 290 continues west, south of 71, and 71 continues west, north of 290. When I lived in North Austin, I thought people were talking about the YMCA .

Old 06-08-2007, 12:51 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,141,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood1 View Post
For south or SW people, mopac (1) from the river to 183 is horrendous, and there's no alternate, or at least none that sames much time. (we would love to be shown wrong here!)

@ rush hour, from 183 headed south on mopac can sometimes take 45min to go about 6 miles.. but once you pass the mall/river it lets up for the most part.

The main problem with Austin traffic is the lack of a loop road, its basically a north south battle. The "360" loop is a great highway but its littered with stoplights. Austin appears allergic to cloverleafs but loves access roads with 4way stops and or stoplights. But thats what is keeping the town wierd/cool!

Exiting and then getting back on works pretty well. Not all exits work.

From south to north, these are the ones that I take:

Bee Caves
Enfield
westover
45th

Old 06-25-2007, 01:55 PM

9 posts, read 32,061 times
The Y in Oak Hill is probably one of the worst roads along with I-35. I try to avoid I-35 at all costs. According to the Oak Hill Gazette, Texas Department of Transportation was planning on building an overpass/toll road to fix the problem. But Oak Hill residents are not happy with the idea, so it may take awhile before the Y gets better.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:41 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,329,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz_95 View Post
The Y in Oak Hill is probably one of the worst roads along with I-35. I try to avoid I-35 at all costs. According to the Oak Hill Gazette, Texas Department of Transportation was planning on building an overpass/toll road to fix the problem. But Oak Hill residents are not happy with the idea, so it may take awhile before the Y gets better.
Sadly, the answer to 'fixing' traffic is to expand 290 and in the process knock down century old oak trees. Ah, the price of 'progress'.....

Old 06-25-2007, 09:43 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
I am kind of hoping the 'fix' in Oakhill takes a while...currently, the bottleneck at the Y keeps the traffic from piling up somewhere further toward town. Since I live (just) inside the Y, I get a pretty clear shot right into work . Selfish, I know, but I still dread the day they 'fix' the Y (and create a new problem elsewhere....).

Old 06-26-2007, 06:27 AM

389 posts, read 1,572,440 times
Default Nabbed

So I told my wife about the On-Off idea and she told of police officers handing out TICKETS if you are caught trying this! Anyone heard of this and if so , what would the charge be? Careless Driving? Aggressive? ??

Cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood1

Exiting and then getting back on works pretty well. Not all exits work.

From south to north, these are the ones that I take:

Bee Caves
Enfield
westover
45th

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 06-26-2007 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: fixed quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: