Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,980 times

Advertisements

I've been working as a Sys Admin at a semiconductor fab in Portland, OR for 10 years. I know things are tight right now, but I love Austin & am looking for a chance to relocate with my family. I'd be interested to hear feedback from the locals about the the Tech companies in Austin. If you work high tech (or know someone who does), which places are employees the happiest? Are there places that have very low employee morale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:34 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,207,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffslaw View Post
I've been working as a Sys Admin at a semiconductor fab in Portland, OR for 10 years. I know things are tight right now, but I love Austin & am looking for a chance to relocate with my family. I'd be interested to hear feedback from the locals about the the Tech companies in Austin. If you work high tech (or know someone who does), which places are employees the happiest? Are there places that have very low employee morale?
This is just one person's opinion. But I know people who have worked in many tech companies - hardware and software.

Companies people generally seem to enjoy working for:

AMD
Applied Materials
Apple
Freescale
Silicon Labs
BMC Software
Motive
IBM

Companies people generally dislike working for:

Dell
Many startups over the years
Vignette

I'd say people are neutral on:

IBM
HP (old Tandem/Compaq)

Old 08-19-2009, 10:39 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,118,706 times
I'd say that huffdano is generally right!

I can say that I have never known a happy Dell employee! And I have known dozens who work at all levels and this includes folks who are working there today.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,066,502 times
Most of our friends that work at Freescale don't really have nice things to say about it.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:04 PM

786 posts, read 2,764,062 times
I don't think that anyone working for high tech right now is really happy with their employer, especially in the semiconductor industry.

All employers have had to tighten belts and cut costs, and that has usually meant taking something away from the employees. This can be in the form of layoffs, reduced benefits, eliminate 401K matching, eliminate stock plans, reduce or eliminate perks, get tougher on in office purchases etc.

There will also be a mentality that you have to put in more hours and can't complain. Be glad you have a job. So you're free time gets taken away as well.

With the economy sort of recovering, and the inventory glut being washed out of the supply chain, orders are starting to pick up and therefore company profits should start to increase again. That will be the time where the workplace starts to get happier as the budget pressures ease off.

All in all, most companies will stay true to their values, within reason. Therefore places that were good to work for in the past, will probably become so once again.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:10 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,019,821 times
Does IBM have office mothers? I heard that years ago, didn't know if there was any truth to that or not.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 PM

434 posts, read 1,081,828 times
what do you mean by "office mothers"?

Old 08-20-2009, 01:03 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,673,575 times
Quote:
Most of our friends that work at Freescale don't really have nice things to say about it.
Actually, I have family and quite a few friends that work there, and although it is not the perfect place (what is?) they are quite happy, relatively speaking. There is pretty much a 10% paycut in effect, but a 10% additional time off (it is really just unpaid leave). Although there have been layoffs, everyone I know thinks that they are trying pretty hard to minimize losses (such as through pay cuts instead of layoffs).

Old 08-20-2009, 01:10 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,066,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Actually, I have family and quite a few friends that work there, and although it is not the perfect place (what is?) they are quite happy, relatively speaking. There is pretty much a 10% paycut in effect, but a 10% additional time off (it is really just unpaid leave). Although there have been layoffs, everyone I know thinks that they are trying pretty hard to minimize losses (such as through pay cuts instead of layoffs).
I suppose it has to do with which division employs the person. When my husband worked there (as Motorola) it had gone through two major reorgs in 18 months so there was all sorts of hate and discontent at that time. One of our friends was recently laid off (obviously he's not pleased) and two others are waiting for the economy to turn around so they can switch jobs.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:12 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,019,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
what do you mean by "office mothers"?

The rumor years ago because IBM employeed guys who were computer programers from MIT, they were super papmered and the compnay hired office mothers to take care of them. They would bring them lunch, snacks, magazines, run errands etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: