Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 11:06 AM

10 posts, read 29,306 times

Advertisements

We are planning on relocating to Austin and we are considering Dripping Springs. We have 4 children and would like to know what master planned communities in Dripping Springs are best for families?

Any ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 03:42 PM

786 posts, read 2,765,279 times
There are 3 new/currently building Master Planned communities in Dripping, and a number of older and smaller developments that may be classified as estate lots.

Belterra - This is the largest one so far. Houses range from low $200Ks to $700K or higher. There is one section being planned that will have 1 acre plus estate lots. Nice community center and pool. Lots of hike and bike trails. Nice community feel when you drive through it. The people I know that live there like it. The big advantage it has over the others is that the Rooster Springs elementary school is in the community. Houses close to 290 and The Nutty Brown Cafe could have noise issues. The area is being developed from 290 moving eastward. New areas being developed are further in. It is located about 1/2 between Dripping Springs and Oak Hill, so it is a drive to anywhere, but not that bad. There is a plan to set up some commercial real estate on 290 just outside of Belterra, but nothing concrete yet. You have a choice of a number of home builders throughout the area.

Ledge Stone - Newer smaller development right across from Belterra. Houses are smaller and lots are smaller. Prices start in the low 200K. They started off with two builders, but I have seen signs showing more have entered the area. I do not know too much about the area other than what I saw house hunting. They have a community center and pool. The whole thing felt a little cramped to me. Lot sizes were 40 - 60 feet wide. The floor plans for the Mecedes and Lennar homes were very good. Very good use of space.

HighPointe - This is located just behind Belterra on Sawyer Ranch road. Started off as a Pulte only project, but other builders have joined in. Some say due to Pulte financial difficulties. Houses are nice but the lots are sometimes unlevel and difficult to work with. The have a beautiful community and fitness center along with the pool. All of it is on a small pond. Hiking and biking trails go everywhere. We seriously considered HighPointe. It is a gated community. Can't remember the starting prices. Everything we looked at was in the $400 - 500K range.

One of my favorite areas is Sawyer Ranch, located on Sawyer Ranch Road (duh!) I would call it a master planned estate community. Larger lots, more open space. But you can still find houses starting around $350K. We came that close to buying on with a ravine view. The owner said the two boys were giving her a real hard time about moving. They loved the area and all their friends. It gives you a good feel of country living, but is very walkable, safe for kids, and has a community pool.

Another area I really liked was Hidden Springs Ranch. This is an older development just on the west side of Dripping Springs. It has a community pool and larger lots, but does not have the master planned cookie cutter feel. They are currently expanding it and new custom built homes are available. Not sure what the low end of the price range is, but I have seen nice houses going for around $350K. People we have met there are very friendly. It is very close to the high school and the middle school. These schools will be swapping locations next year. Both are currently under reconstruction. There is a sports field close by, so the night lights may be a problem. You are in Dripping Springs town limits, so you have town water and taxes. You are about 30 - 35 minutes to Oak Hill. I really liked this place.

Do some searches in the forum using these community names and you will pick up lots of information. You will also find a few complaints thrown in which will alert you to some of the potential downfalls of a location depending on whether or not you believe the posters.

In addition to the above, there are a number of smaller developments scattered along 290 from Nutty Brown Road to west of Dripping Springs. A couple more on Ranch Road 12 which intersects 290 in Dripping Springs. There are no bad areas. They all just offer something different. You can go from a small cookie cutter house to a gentleman's ranch. It all depends on what you are looking for. Most of the smaller estate type developments do not have community centers, pools or other master planned amenities. But they also do not have an active HOA. I leave it to you to determine if that is good or bad.

I give you a future welcome to the area.

Last edited by iceshots; 12-04-2009 at 04:03 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 03:56 PM

10 posts, read 29,306 times
Thank you for the input! This is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: