Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:13 PM

477 posts, read 1,580,805 times

Advertisements

My husband was denied 4 weeks of unemployment when he was unemployed because they say he didn't call in to request payment. He called in several times and each time the recording said, "Our system can not handle your call, please try again on the next business day." Even now as we are trying to sort it out, we still get that message. The appeals officer is pretty condescending and says that if we can't find precedence, we probably won't win. Any tips would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:33 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,914 times
Keep trying....I think it depends on who answers your call that day! Seriously!I missed 1 or 2 request dates and they gave me the option of requesting it (but had to have all my documents in order for those periods) or just skipping it and starting it again. I chose the later because my recordkeeping was less that stellar and I feared because of the issue, they might actually want to see them.I was doing my requests online, but I don't see that it would make a difference.Good Luck!

I did have to call several times to get through AND call any number you can find because they can get you through if you get a real person!
OR go to your center and speak to someone living and breathing!!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,124 times
I'm trying to remember as it was last year when I filed but I think I had similar problems. If I recall, there were two different numbers to call: one was local, the other was regional/statewide. I think that's the one that produced results as the local one was always "unable to handle my request". Also, once I was able to set everything up online, things went smoothly.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:46 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,819 times
There's an email address somewhere on the webpage you can use. I emailed them a question and got an immediate response to my questions.

I myself am waiting on a decision on my second appeal with the TWC Commission.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:58 AM

7 posts, read 19,230 times
I had a similar experience several years ago, be persistent. The system is set up to avoid paying out benefits as much as possible.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:47 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,615,326 times
My husband got that message literally for a week. I found an email address for their "customer service". I emailed them a scathing letter. I didn't curse and I didn't call names but I made it clear that their "customer service" was HORRID.

We also got immediate results.

Good luck to you - sometimes you have to raise some hell with them.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:53 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,615,326 times
I just DMed you with the email address we used.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:13 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
This has been a real problem for quite a while. There were even news reports on TWC and how frustrated people were getting with the busy signals and recorded messages. They are completely under-staffed and overloaded with calls, as you can imagine.

Your best bet is to request online. Why are you not doing that to begin with? It's really simple.

Also, I had to call on a weekend once and I got through immediately. There were two numbers that I had and one had operators working on the weekend - she transferred me to whomever I needed to talk to and I was done in a few minutes.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:21 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,914 times
Call whatever numbers you can get your hands on, no matter what dept they say they are!!! It is the only way to get a live person!

Old 08-23-2009, 10:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
It's not just Texas; many states are overwhelmed with unemployment applications, extensions and numerous questions from folks who have never been on unemployment before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: