Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:09 PM

226 posts, read 1,170,318 times

Advertisements

I get the impression from gleaning over these posts that Austin is still an overeducated workforce. I've had folks from way back say that was the classic situation, folks not coming to Austin to make money as much as find themselves, unleash creativity, party, drink, meditate, think......is it still that way? Let's try really hard to separate the housing boom from this, and just focus on the down and dirty of why people come from all over to Austin. I say it STILL is to find themselves, motor down old manic ways, connect, etc. I don't see Austin ever becoming primarily known as a business center, nor would I ever want it to be....but, am I right in saying that many younger and some older folks come here at a financial sacrifice, for intangible reasons that transcend monetary values?.....if not, how would you rate the pay levels in Austin, and chances to make a livable wage here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 09:35 PM

15,297 posts, read 35,763,755 times
I graduated college with an engineering degree and waited tables for two years....can't even say I was looking for a job in my field at the time. I now work for an employee owned compay that is geared more toward quality of work/life over quantity of pay, and I wouldn't think of going elsewhere for a few dollars. We have offices in a couple other cities, and one of them has a noticeably lower cost of living, but we have to pay more for the same position there when hiring, compared to Austin. Now, we definitely pay a livable wage, it is just not necessarily in the upper end of our field.

I chose to stay because my roots have grown too deep now. My Christmas card list is probaby 80% in the 787xx zip codes. I can go jogging down at town lake and see people I know, and recognize a large number of people I don't actually know, but see around town or down on the trails. I am quite willing to take a 'cut' in pay to live here.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I graduated college with an engineering degree and waited tables for two years....can't even say I was looking for a job in my field at the time. I now work for an employee owned compay that is geared more toward quality of work/life over quantity of pay, and I wouldn't think of going elsewhere for a few dollars. We have offices in a couple other cities, and one of them has a noticeably lower cost of living, but we have to pay more for the same position there when hiring, compared to Austin. Now, we definitely pay a livable wage, it is just not necessarily in the upper end of our field.

I chose to stay because my roots have grown too deep now. My Christmas card list is probaby 80% in the 787xx zip codes. I can go jogging down at town lake and see people I know, and recognize a large number of people I don't actually know, but see around town or down on the trails. I am quite willing to take a 'cut' in pay to live here.
I think you can say the same for many folks here in Austin....I think that the "choice" extends to the way Austinites value their free time. Most cities have lots of folks taking second jobs to get by/ahead. I can't say that making money on the side/second jobs are terribly popular in Austin, as you see so many folks eating/drinking at outdoor cafes on week-days. I think it a wise choice, and nice to see a whole city of folks that feel largely the same. We aren't saying no one works second jobs or hustles here. Just that people don't come here for the money/career opportunities much as the lifestyle. It's quite addictive, actually. Honestly, I can live like that the rest of my life. You can't take it with you. Life is here to live now, not when some imagined retirement kicks in........how great to share that attitude with a whole city of "slackers"!

Old 12-19-2007, 11:56 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,194,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates1234 View Post
Just that people don't come here for the money/career opportunities much as the lifestyle. It's quite addictive, actually. Honestly, I can live like that the rest of my life. You can't take it with you. Life is here to live now, not when some imagined retirement kicks in........how great to share that attitude with a whole city of "slackers"!
I'm glad to hear that! We're gladly accepting the fact we won't make the money in Austin that we do here in Atlanta. We work far too much and are looking forward to enjoying ourselves having some fun and raising our daughter. Money is not the end all, be all. I just turned down a $$$ opportunity that was in Chicago. BRRRRR! I'll probably find a job for 1/3 of that salary in Austin and I'm totally okay with that. Of course I wouldn't mind winning the lottery...

Old 12-20-2007, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
I'm glad to hear that! We're gladly accepting the fact we won't make the money in Austin that we do here in Atlanta. We work far too much and are looking forward to enjoying ourselves having some fun and raising our daughter. Money is not the end all, be all. I just turned down a $$$ opportunity that was in Chicago. BRRRRR! I'll probably find a job for 1/3 of that salary in Austin and I'm totally okay with that. Of course I wouldn't mind winning the lottery...
Awesome to hear this! There are a lot of folks buried right now who have nothing on their headstones per how many hours they put in the office. Also, few people have uttered any last words to the effect of "Gee, I sure wish I spent more time in the office/working." Not only can't you take it with you, but the probate and vulture relatives will take all your money anyway soon as you pass. Life is ONLY meant for living and enjoying. Man's natural state is to work when hungry, and relax when the kill is fresh, and enjoy. Perhaps the cavemen were far wiser than we after all....

Old 12-20-2007, 06:17 AM

260 posts, read 906,244 times
I want to know where Trainwreck works.... I would gladly take lower pay over my current requirement to call into late evening meetings... I especially hate the ones between 5-7 pm.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:45 AM

Our company, which is up 6 full-time positions since last year to a total of ~52 FTPs, was started about 15 years ago by a group of people fleeing the 'sweat shop' atmosphere of their current consulting jobs. It is possible to have your 'own' company if you can find the right people to work with, are not greedy about trying to take over the world, and you are good at what you do.

We do have rough weeks when the hours are not nice, but you are more in control of that then most places. As far as the lower pay, the employee owned stock has increased to the point that the original founders will do quite well. Several of them, now ~50 y/o, are starting to sell out their shares and will retire in the next five years or less. So maybe the next group of slackers out at Freddie's on a weekday afternoon will be our former founders .

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 12-20-2007 at 07:46 AM..

Old 12-20-2007, 07:37 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,034,387 times
My last company was based out of Houston and the corporate management there always said they did not understand the Austin (or San Antonio) office because we basically threw a temper tantrum at the idea of wearing a tie to work or banning jeans in the office. We did not work overtime unless absolutely necessary. People that want to work 60 hours a week generally don't live in or like Austin. We prefer quality of life over a big paycheck.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:08 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,914,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates1234 View Post
Life is ONLY meant for living and enjoying. Man's natural state is to work when hungry, and relax when the kill is fresh, and enjoy. Perhaps the cavemen were far wiser than we after all....
Well said!

I suppose I've lived that way most of my life. Sometimes I wish I was a bit more ambitious and aggressive, as I've watched some opportunities slip away, but growing up I watched my father grind away 6-7 days a week at his job only to be an old man at 40! I think he sort of regrets it now, although the sense of accomplishment as a first-rate provider is most certainly satisfying to him.

I think your assessment of why people come here is accurate for many people. It is a great place to re-tool. I think a lot of people come here with the plan of moving on, and just stay. As far as money goes, I think most people would choose less money and more time to enjoy life than the other way around. We certainly aren't hauling in the cash...then again, we never have

Old 12-20-2007, 08:28 AM

The hard part is looking ahead and yielding a little now for a lot later...for example, if my wife works 50 hour weeks for a couple years, will she be able to 'retire' from her current (extrememly well paying) job and make a living out of her hobby (pottery)? The trick is balancing the trade-offs. Waiting tables was probably me favorite line of work (great hours, fun people), but I was never going to be able to retire on that, so I moved (slightly ) up the work ladder. On the other hand, I don't want to work so much now that I don't enjoy my daughter growing up. It is all in the balancing act, and it is very typical in Austin to lean a little toward the now rather than the later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin