Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:38 PM

226 posts, read 1,169,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
My last company was based out of Houston and the corporate management there always said they did not understand the Austin (or San Antonio) office because we basically threw a temper tantrum at the idea of wearing a tie to work or banning jeans in the office. We did not work overtime unless absolutely necessary. People that want to work 60 hours a week generally don't live in or like Austin. We prefer quality of life over a big paycheck.
Reminds me of those 'People out ____just don't get it" T-shirts. Its really just a choice of how you want to spend time - working or enjoying the fruits of your labor or others labor. I say that you CAN work and enjoy youself if you have a dream job. Those folks are really playing in the highest sense of the word, and don't need any recreational mediation. However, MOST folks who overwork are not in dream job situations. Like a squirrel performing mundane/onerous tasks, they tether themselves to a job/career and can't let loose. They work under the premise that one day it will be worth it. Retirement, early or mandated, will be the magical time they can cash out all their chits, and live free and easy for the rest of their years. One problem with that.....Life needs to be enjoyed right NOW. We are not talking about instant gratification, or any selfish mindset that puts pleasure before responsibility. We are just talking about enjoying a lifestyle that gives us time to smell the roses, while we are still young and vibrant enough to smell them fully. As I walk past all the teaming numbers of outdoor eateries in Austin, and see folks, even on week-days, conversing, eating, drinking, enjoying good food, company, and music; taking time to try new things; holding hands like young lovers even into middle and old age; ever curious and reflective, and celebrating the creative muse that makes life worthwhile, and gives it that spark that makes each day special, I realize how wise Austinites are. Perhaps this is the future for the nation, perhaps this is just a special place, but, for whatever reason, this city is one of the most enobling work environments in the county..........and long may it last!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 03:54 PM

144 posts, read 331,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
I'm glad to hear that! We're gladly accepting the fact we won't make the money in Austin that we do here in Atlanta. We work far too much and are looking forward to enjoying ourselves having some fun and raising our daughter. Money is not the end all, be all. I just turned down a $$$ opportunity that was in Chicago. BRRRRR! I'll probably find a job for 1/3 of that salary in Austin and I'm totally okay with that. Of course I wouldn't mind winning the lottery...
Funny, I'm thinking about the same move (Atlanta to Austin).

Old 12-20-2007, 04:24 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,723,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It is all in the balancing act, and it is very typical in Austin to lean a little toward the now rather than the later.
Sounds like my kind of place.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:47 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,191,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadInSuburbia View Post
Funny, I'm thinking about the same move (Atlanta to Austin).
There's a few of us here in the ATL looking to flee.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:13 AM

290 posts, read 1,182,497 times
When I moved to Austin a little over 10 years ago, I did notice the culture change. People did dress more casual than I expected and their attitude was different than larger cities. This has nothing to do with pay. I make about the same if not higher than someone living in a bigger city. However, I can wear jeans to work and people don't even notice.

There is a strong movement toward telecommuting happening all over the country, or at least in my industry. A lot of the people I work with, including myself, telecommute from home at least 50-75% of the time. I like it, even though I still put in 60 hours per week often. At least I'm not wasting time on the road. Human interaction is still important, and that is why I make sure to go into the office at least once if not twice a week.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,058 times
Default Spiritual Home

Great discussion. I have lived in Austin for 4 years. It is interesting, thinking about how I left good paying jobs to pursue a more hollistic life. I am in Austin to finish my PhD at UT Austin, but now it has meant much more than that...I may not take up aprofessiorate jobs at UCLA or wherever else now...I will take the cut, happily, to find another, less well paying way to make a living here...I REJECT projects that make me do the 9-5...so I can work on loving my wife more and more every day, jog around river, lake...still cannot figure out why its called a lake...point being...I get enough urban and enough nature to help me connect spiritually..not too mention, as a student, I am privileged to an amazing intellectual world...I love it here... I go to places I used to like, for instance, MANHATTAN, and I start getting depressed after 2 days...here, you can talk to hippies, cholos, artsy types, 60 year old ladies that should be in documentaries from Woodstock era...i chill, i relax....i know myself here...as friends and family fall into traps of Capitalism and hate all over the nation and the world, I sip on Latte, write a poem, join an activist group...and reflect....I hope this place, spiritually speaking, will always be here...it should be designated as a heritage site....

Paz.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:30 AM

95 posts, read 337,870 times
Amen! Can I get an amen!

Old 04-05-2008, 03:15 PM

746 posts, read 3,730,585 times
Very well written. I'm in agreement. Austin is one of the few places folks with more than a desire to run on the corporate treadmill nibbling at carrot crumbs can aspire to live in. Yes, it has some conspicuous consumption, but not NEAR the level of Houston, Dallas, California, the east coast, and such. You can actually chill and not feel any remorse for worshipping the protestant work ethic. Also, I thought the whole point of work was to allot time and space to enjoy oneself, outside of work and into retirement. In a sense, much of Austin is living that good life at an early age, and god bless them for it. It seems as if they have found the truth behind all the bull propagated by what our society passes off as REWARDS. Let's face it....how many of us will ever hit it big financially? Outside of the few who start thriving businesses, most of us will never get beyond the typical runaround chasing debt, and will struggle to save a decent buck towards retirement. If that is so, why can't we enjoy the present moment, live life like the 24/7 festival it really is, enjoy imbibing and conversing with our fellow humans, and not sweat the small OR large stuff? Hey, none of us get out of this world alive......we will eventually age and slow down, and die of god knows what illness. All we have is the present moment, and 5 senses and a brain to enjoy it, preferrably in the company of our fellow man. I think Austin has discovered this great truth, as a community writ large, and God bless them all for it.......GO HORNS!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:22 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,908,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
All we have is the present moment, and 5 senses and a brain to enjoy it, preferrably in the company of our fellow man. I think Austin has discovered this great truth, as a community writ large, and God bless them all for it.......GO HORNS!
Go Horns?????????????? Have you lost your freakin' mind fellow yankee?

You're right though. There's no such thing as the future. Only the present exists. Enjoy it.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 PM

6 posts, read 12,016 times
After living in Austin for 10 years recently and still here I can say that I now have a heart condition due to stress of not making enough money in a field that should make more. I did not move here to "slack" but worked hard at a FT overnight job for 2 years and went to Texas State during the day for 2 years to earn the remainder of my degree. Austin still has the good ole boys routine in place real strong and has been ridiculous to be here. My grandmother has lived here for 65 years and is 93! That's the reason I live here. My parents took our family years ago to Houston so they could make a living even as a pastor. It's ridiculous in Austin to make money. Really, the 23 years I lived and worked in Houston were much more profitable and actually even without the Bayou developed in downtown Houston, I partied more and had a lot more fun! I don't get what the hub-bub is about for this place. I remember as a kid that my brothers and I laughed at how dorked out the news anchors were here compared to the Houston stations. That was the Thanksgiving entertainment! Good times! HAHA! We never get a chance to slow down here since we can't make enough. Come to think of it- I should send Grandma a bill....HA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin