Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATXTransplant View Post
Yeah, it's funny because on every page of their website it says in BOLD "We're paying you to find your next job"
Well, they haven't paid me yet, I still haven't found a job! It's going on 2.5 months now.

Whoever said that Texas was doing better in the economy than the other states is a complete moron!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 02:54 PM

434 posts, read 1,080,875 times
Quote:
My husband was denied 4 weeks of unemployment when he was unemployed because they say he didn't call in to request payment. He called in several times and each time the recording said, "Our system can not handle your call, please try again on the next business day." Even now as we are trying to sort it out, we still get that message. The appeals officer is pretty condescending and says that if we can't find precedence, we probably won't win. Any tips would be appreciated.
The TWC has been overloaded and underfunded for years.

You might want to just forget it and move on. It's not worth the time and aggravation.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:28 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,195 times
It's $2500 that they owe us. I'm starting to agree that it's not worth the aggravation, but my husband is out of work again on unpaid medical leave, don't know when he'll return, so I don't want to leave any money on the table.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
It's $2500 that they owe us. I'm starting to agree that it's not worth the aggravation, but my husband is out of work again on unpaid medical leave, don't know when he'll return, so I don't want to leave any money on the table.
Then keep trying. Don't throw away any letters from the TWC and make sure to meet the deadlines for filing responses. Use certified mail for important filings.

Texas courts, especially (and because of) the Texas Supreme Court, are not friendly to employees. (quite a few apathetic, incompetent and corrupt judges here)

Don't give them any excuse to throw your case out if you should take it that far.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinite45 View Post
Texas courts, especially (and because of) the Texas Supreme Court, are not friendly to employees. (quite a few apathetic, incompetent and corrupt judges here)
Yikes...that gives me lot of confidence into the decision on my TWC appeal now...

Old 08-24-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Yikes...that gives me lot of confidence into the decision on my TWC appeal now...
Don't count on the TWC for sympathy. Always prepare for your hearings. I recommend over-preparing if you have the time. Know your case well and read as much as you can about the laws and procedures (The TWC website).

You are your own advocate. (unless you hire a lawyer)

Make your communications brief and to the point. If you can state your case in 3 sentences, don't write 4.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:40 PM

Too late! I sent off my 7-page appeal letter to the TWC about 3 weeks ago. But I did get a letter a few days later that it was okayed to be forwarded to the commission to consider for a decision.

I guess they give it a "yes or no" for consideration before they pass it along to the TWC Commission, so at least I made it pass the first step.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 PM

477 posts, read 1,581,195 times
7 pages - wow! I hope it works out. let us know.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:05 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,536 times
For the record...I was unemployed from 2/14-7/27...5.5 months and NEVER found anything on the TWC job boards....they make it so complicated to fine tune your information jsut to get a match on ANYTHING that I gave up. I found all my potential jobs through craigslist or hotjobs and such.

For all practical purposes, other than the horrible job board process, it was relatively smooth sailing.
Thankfully!

Old 08-25-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post
For the record...I was unemployed from 2/14-7/27...5.5 months and NEVER found anything on the TWC job boards....they make it so complicated to fine tune your information jsut to get a match on ANYTHING that I gave up. I found all my potential jobs through craigslist or hotjobs and such.

For all practical purposes, other than the horrible job board process, it was relatively smooth sailing.
Thankfully!
I've found a few jobs to apply to on the TWC boards that I was a "match" for - but haven't been hired at any of them.

All their jobs listed there are mainly government jobs anyway, and those are hard enough to get - you pretty much have to "know" somebody to get in any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: