Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:01 AM

205 posts, read 618,009 times

Advertisements

There's much talk of how liberal Austinites are compared with people who live outside of Austin city limits and the rest of Texas.

If you're new to Austin (Like me, I've only been here a year), how has living here changed you (if any)? Specifically:
1. Do you feel like a big fish in a small pond (or visa versa)?
2. Has it been easy to make new connections with people where you work, live etc? Example
3. Has it changed the way you thought about Austin prior to moving here?
4. Do you envision yourself staying here in your retirement years? Why/Why not? If you're already in this age group, what keeps you here?

Not to exclude anyone from participating in this discussion, if you've always lived in the Austion region, what have you observed about how Austin has changed in your experience?
To share here's my answers
1. A very different fish swimming haphazardly in unfamiliar waters, still trying to find my way and hopeful the murky waters will clear.
2. I make the distinction between acquaintances and friends. I've met plenty of people through work and my volunteering in the community whom I would term as acquaintances - we can hold a conversation (nothing of any great depth; and we are civil). My friends are all out of Austin back in New Zealand and a couple in Houston where I moved from.
3. I had an image of the healthier lifestyle here in the hill country, and that was definitely true. However, I find the people to be towards the petty, self-serving and not very accepting of "outsiders" unless they are recent transplants themselves. An example of this is I joined a volunteer group - people who choose to give their leisure time to helping others you would think would share a common bond? However, I soon found out there was a non-acceptance and strong conservatism that chills the blood! I would hear people gossiping about so-and-so plotting to drive the person out because they were liberal, gay, ethnic, was an upstart (heaven forbid change could be a good thing) etc. My husband wants me to resign, but I am heavily involved with the youth program. But it's hard to continue when you are not appreciated by the organization (the youth love me) and people plot against you behind your back.
4. Really only staying here to help with future grandchildren (the first is on the way...I'm a young grandma), family is important to me. My sons have both gone to university in Austin which is what brought us here. Will be retiring in New Zealand. Plan on staying in Austin for another 10 years or so, so would like to make better ties than I've made so far here. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:12 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,336,806 times
Quote:
2. Has it been easy to make new connections with people where you work, live etc? Example
4. Do you envision yourself staying here in your retirement years? Why/Why not? If you're already in this age group, what keeps you here?
1. I feel like I'm swimming in a Dr. Seuss book...red fish, blue fish, green fish, skinny fish, fat fish, fish with blue hair, fish with tats...it's all good and we're all getting along fine.

2. Very easy to make friends here, both at work and in my great neighborhood.

3. I had no preconceived notions about Austin when I moved here. I knew it was the Capitol of Austin and I had seen Austin City Limits on PBS. That's it. I never consulted a forum for information about moving here, which is probably a good thing.

4. Most likely we will stay here when my husband retires. Property taxes suck but it seems to equal out with other places when you count income taxes, sales taxes, etc.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I suspect you don't live in Austin and where you do live just hasn't lived up to all the Austin hype you've been reading about. Austin isn't perfect but I sure haven't met people who say anything negative about a person's politicial beliefs, sexual preference, etc. Quite the opposite.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:21 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,193,679 times
Quote:
However, I soon found out there was a non-acceptance and strong conservatism that chills the blood! I would hear people gossiping about so-and-so plotting to drive the person out because they were liberal, gay, ethnic, was an upstart (heaven forbid change could be a good thing) etc.
Where do you meet people like this?

I know many people who have a conservative slant - the kind of people who enjoyed hearing about Lloyd Doggett's recent town hall. But they would not plot to drive a person out of a volunteer organization because they were liberal or gay.

I have been part of at least four school district related volunteer committees and have never seen behavior like described above. Many dozens of different people. Some obnoxious, borderline stupid, or some other irritating trait but not "plotters."

Old 08-06-2009, 08:24 AM

Austin Traveler, thanks for your response. Do you live in the Downtown/Central Austin area?

You're correct, I'm not inside the city limits - it was a lifestyle choice because I do love the lake environment where I'm living. However, I am probably a city girl at heart - and probably I need to venture We enjoy spending alot of our leisure time at and around the lake. I had concentrated on getting to know my community first, and that has left a sour taste when I found myself non-renewed for my teaching contract - I was told "it was not a good fit" by the Administration, yet the students and parents thought otherwise. I'm still in shock from the whole experience.

I'm going to have to just toughen up and venture outside of the lakeside community to make some new connections. Any suggestions?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Where do you meet people like this?

I know many people who have a conservative slant - the kind of people who enjoyed hearing about Lloyd Doggett's recent town hall. But they would not plot to drive a person out of a volunteer organization because they were liberal or gay.

I have been part of at least four school district related volunteer committees and have never seen behavior like described above. Many dozens of different people. Some obnoxious, borderline stupid, or some other irritating trait but not "plotters."
Hoffdano, it's the kind of thing we only discovered once we'd elected to move into the community. As we go for walks around the lake, we've encountered other people who have commented "that's why we live here but don't get involved in the community, we keep to ourselves" - it's not something I'm used to at all. It's the idealist in me that has a different picture of how things could be, which is not the reality.

On the flipside, I do see the community is changing as younger people are moving here - and it may be why the older people don't take too kindly to the "invasion". An example of this is, there's a thriving parent group of more than 200 familes - it's really for parents of young children, but I joined anyway because there will be a young grandchild soon. The younger generation are much more accepting and support each other. It's great to see there is change on the way. But for me, I feel a little isolated. The serenity here is great however, and once I'm through with my Masters' studies I plan on developing my artistic talent by drawing and painting the local landscape.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,336,806 times
Yes, I live in Central Austin, just north of Downtown. Since you like art, why don't you come down to Town Lake once in a while and set up your easel and practice. You can also visit the Zilker Gardens and the Umlauf Sculpture Gardens. There is a also a great little museum just off the Mopac 35th Street exit (west) called the Laguna Gloria. The grounds lead down to a Bayou that would be a beautiful place to paint. Stop at Central Market (N. Lamar and 40th) and stock up on goodies before heading home.

I think maybe you just need to find for yourself something that will make you enjoy living here more. I would definitely not be a part of a group of plotters. I'd rather be by myself than with people who I disagree with so much. I think if you head out and do things that interest you, you're bound to run into like-minded people.

Good luck!!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnaiy View Post
Hoffdano, it's the kind of thing we only discovered once we'd elected to move into the community. As we go for walks around the lake, we've encountered other people who have commented "that's why we live here but don't get involved in the community, we keep to ourselves" - it's not something I'm used to at all. It's the idealist in me that has a different picture of how things could be, which is not the reality.

On the flipside, I do see the community is changing as younger people are moving here - and it may be why the older people don't take too kindly to the "invasion". An example of this is, there's a thriving parent group of more than 200 familes - it's really for parents of young children, but I joined anyway because there will be a young grandchild soon. The younger generation are much more accepting and support each other. It's great to see there is change on the way. But for me, I feel a little isolated. The serenity here is great however, and once I'm through with my Masters' studies I plan on developing my artistic talent by drawing and painting the local landscape.
When you say lakeside - what area? My school district work was with the Lake Travis ISD. This school district has a huge mix of people. Some very rich people, some "I'll only live in a gated community people" people, and some people who live in trailers.

I've met all kinds of people around here - but I find the mix reasonable and friendly. Many are acquaintances, not friends, as you noted these are two distinct groups.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:16 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,269,512 times
I have now lived in the Austin area for over 6 years. I moved down here from Kansas City for a job. Although there are some positive things about this city, there are far more nagative things which have made we wish to leave very much. I knew nothing about Austin before moving here. I knew it was the capital of Texas, and that was about it. I am continuously amazed how the people of Austin are so proud of their city, when in reality, there is very little to be proud of. Basically, most any other U.S. city of similar (or in some cases smaller) can match and best austin in most areas.

Austin is pretty much an really oversized college town in many respects. It has a lot of similarities with Madison, WI--large college town, capital, etc. However, Madisons climate would be the main reason it never took off in population growth the way Austin did.

Here are some items that I can't understand why austin people make such a big deal about (and are any of them really unique??)

1.) Lake Travis--great, its a frickin lake, although getting lower everyday during the drought, its a FRIGGIN lake. Most any other city has easy access to a lake.

2.) The Hill country (or as I call it, the hillbilly country). OMG, its some HILLS. I guess Texas is such a flat and gross state overall that people truly get excited when they see some hills. I have news for people here. MOST cities in the midwest, south, and west are hilly.

3.) UT Longhorns. This is a college football team people. I guess when a town this small has no professional sports teams of any kind, what else can you do??

4.) That Austin vibe. What Austin vibe?? The same vibe that any other college town has?? Young, educated people, artsy people, musicians??

5.) 6th street. Another one I can't understand. Kansas City has Westport which has just as many bars and live music venues. Somehow 6th street in Austin is SUCH a big deal. Again, don't understand the hype.

Of course, some people do like the feel of Austin....i guess. I think the Media does a really nice job of painting this rosie picture of austin which makes people flock here. I would suspect many of those who did were sadly disappointed in their deicison. Of course, some people were happy I sappose as well.

Another tidbit that gets through the media-Austin is liberal. I have news for you people. The VAST majority of the city of Austin is conservative and religious based. Yes, there are some liberals downtown and in the central part of the city, but no more than any other college town. All the suburbs in austin are horrendously conservative and hard core bible belt. Most of Austin suburbs make Kansas Cities suburbs look liberal. It's really unreal. Stay in central austin if you want some liberals around you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnaiy View Post
There's much talk of how liberal Austinites are compared with people who live outside of Austin city limits and the rest of Texas.

If you're new to Austin (Like me, I've only been here a year), how has living here changed you (if any)? Specifically:

Not to exclude anyone from participating in this discussion, if you've always lived in the Austion region, what have you observed about how Austin has changed in your experience?
To share here's my answers
1. A very different fish swimming haphazardly in unfamiliar waters, still trying to find my way and hopeful the murky waters will clear.
2. I make the distinction between acquaintances and friends. I've met plenty of people through work and my volunteering in the community whom I would term as acquaintances - we can hold a conversation (nothing of any great depth; and we are civil). My friends are all out of Austin back in New Zealand and a couple in Houston where I moved from.
3. I had an image of the healthier lifestyle here in the hill country, and that was definitely true. However, I find the people to be towards the petty, self-serving and not very accepting of "outsiders" unless they are recent transplants themselves. An example of this is I joined a volunteer group - people who choose to give their leisure time to helping others you would think would share a common bond? However, I soon found out there was a non-acceptance and strong conservatism that chills the blood! I would hear people gossiping about so-and-so plotting to drive the person out because they were liberal, gay, ethnic, was an upstart (heaven forbid change could be a good thing) etc. My husband wants me to resign, but I am heavily involved with the youth program. But it's hard to continue when you are not appreciated by the organization (the youth love me) and people plot against you behind your back.
4. Really only staying here to help with future grandchildren (the first is on the way...I'm a young grandma), family is important to me. My sons have both gone to university in Austin which is what brought us here. Will be retiring in New Zealand. Plan on staying in Austin for another 10 years or so, so would like to make better ties than I've made so far here. Suggestions?

Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,657,499 times
To actually address your questions, maybe......

Never thought about anything that way, I guess....not sure where the pond would end or begin, nor how 'big' a fish I am. My expertise over the years has become more and more Texas specific, although applicable to most of the US to some degree, and, to a lesser extent, worldwide. Anway, I am a bigger fish in Texas relating to my field of work than I would be elsewhere...not really an Austin thing, though. Personally, I like being more of a small fish - no long-line fisherman looking for you, and more likely to throw you back .
I worked for the State for quite a few years, and some of my best friends are from there; of course, I think I was at more of a 'friend forming' age at that time. As you get older and responsibilities expand, both you and potential friends have more committments, making it more difficult. Where I work now, I am more casual friends, although my wife is now a very good friend of a co-worker...go figure . In any case, making friends takes time, no matter how you do it.
Sorry, have been here near to forever .
Quite possibly we will stay here long-term, but this is still realistically 20 yaers off. We might move somewhere else in central Texas, or we could even move out of state, I suppose. My In-laws are retiring and moving here from the midwest next year (they have been planning this retirement here way longer than they have had a daughter in Texas), probably out in the highland lakes area, they are still looking around. In any case, my parents, my siblings, several of my nieces/nephews, and my MIL and FIL will all be here for the foreseable future. We would most likely move out to the hill country if anywhere, since my parents have a small ranch they would love to keep in the familiy.

In any case, I empathize with your situation, and may have to deal with it sometime in the future. We are late in starting the familiy, so not sure how much help we will be when/if the time comes. We will hopefully be near retirement before we have grandkids (assuming daughters wait until a reasonable age and we manage to save enough). IF we do move for a situation like that, it is likely to end up being permanent, although my roots here have grown very deep. I am much more adaptable than my wife, so a lot will depend on here, too. I have done significant 'stints' in Georgia, New Mexico, Colorado, and several places in Texas (and enjoyed them all), but I can't imagine trying to change countries, especially since I still have very little experience except north and south of here (Canada/Mexico).

Old 08-06-2009, 11:38 AM

eepstein - you are one of the resident Austin-bashers here. I hope someday you get to move back to your beloved Kansas City.

Quote:
1.) Lake Travis--great, its a frickin lake, although getting lower everyday during the drought, its a FRIGGIN lake. Most any other city has easy access to a lake.
Lake Travis is but one of several lakes here. And it is a very nice lake - with outstanding water quality. I have been on Lake Buchanan, Marble Falls, LBJ, Inks, Lake Travis, Lake Austin, and Lady Bird Lake. Even though they are the result of dams on one river - they are different all very nice.

Quote:
2.) The Hill country (or as I call it, the hillbilly country). OMG, its some HILLS. I guess Texas is such a flat and gross state overall that people truly get excited when they see some hills. I have news for people here. MOST cities in the midwest, south, and west are hilly.
OK - but I'm not sure this is as hyped as you think. Compared to Dallas and Houston Austin is very different. Not so different from San Antonio. But I live on a lot where my house is at about 760 ft above sea level but the end of my lot is at 636 now (Lake Travis water level). I that is a very nice hill and not too easy to find.

Quote:
3.) UT Longhorns. This is a college football team people. I guess when a town this small has no professional sports teams of any kind, what else can you do??
I'm not a Longhorn fan but I am perfectly OK with not having pro sports here. We don't pay for stadiums nor do we tax visitors for them. UT's sports can be a bit obscene - but it pales to what happens in the NFL, NBA, or MLB. I do like the focus and attention paid to amateur sports here.

Quote:
4.) That Austin vibe. What Austin vibe?? The same vibe that any other college town has?? Young, educated people, artsy people, musicians??
All I know it is that Austin "feels" different than other places I have lived in Texas. It isn't electric like NYC or San Francisco - which I can enjoy in bursts - but I'm happy with the vibe here (whatever it is).

Quote:
5.) 6th street. Another one I can't understand. Kansas City has Westport which has just as many bars and live music venues. Somehow 6th street in Austin is SUCH a big deal. Again, don't understand the hype.
You need to stop focusing on 6th street. We all know entertainment in the downtown areas extends in many areas. 6th doesn't appeal much to me - but I do like 5th and 4th. And I like to see music at The Backyard or One World Theatre even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin