Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:16 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 674,731 times

Advertisements

The reflections people make about how a place fits them or not says more about themselves than about the place, perhaps save pathological places like Detroit or Gary.

Central Austin, from about 51st down to Oltorf is actually quite unique in its vibe. What makes it so is the combination and interaction of these areas all together- about 6 miles long and 2 miles wide. You've got North Loop/Triangle/Central Park/Hyde Park down to UT/West Campus down to Downtown/Capitol down to South Congress. There aren't too many other places in the USA that have this kind of quirky mix that all run together. A huge research university and a Capitol area right next to each other are the core. Madison and Columbus in this respect aren't really comparable to Austin anymore. Boston would be more appropriate in some ways, but that metro area has 4 times as many people as does Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 01:01 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,358,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
The reflections people make about how a place fits them or not says more about themselves than about the place, perhaps save pathological places like Detroit or Gary.

Central Austin, from about 51st down to Oltorf is actually quite unique in its vibe. What makes it so is the combination and interaction of these areas all together- about 6 miles long and 2 miles wide. You've got North Loop/Triangle/Central Park/Hyde Park down to UT/West Campus down to Downtown/Capitol down to South Congress. There aren't too many other places in the USA that have this kind of quirky mix that all run together. A huge research university and a Capitol area right next to each other are the core. Madison and Columbus in this respect aren't really comparable to Austin anymore. Boston would be more appropriate in some ways, but that metro area has 4 times as many people as does Austin.
Huh? I'd say that makes Austin and Madison a lot more alike....huge research universities and a state capitol...

Old 08-06-2009, 05:16 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,165,557 times
Default Perspective of someone leaving Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnaiy View Post
1. Do you feel like a big fish in a small pond (or visa versa)?
2. Has it been easy to make new connections with people where you work, live etc? Example
3. Has it changed the way you thought about Austin prior to moving here?
4. Do you envision yourself staying here in your retirement years? Why/Why not? If you're already in this age group, what keeps you here?
Perhaps my perspective as someone who is now leaving Austin might be useful.

1) I don't think the pond was big enough for me. I find the people who think their a real big deal here kind of funny, as its a small town. Being well known in Austin is fairly easy and there is definite "in-crowd" of self-important people who in most other cities would be only average. Fortunately, I think most Austinites could care less if they are in the in crowd.
2) Fairly easy yes. At my 30th birthday party a few years back my partner looked around and remarked that if I didn't have jobs, I wouldn't have friends, because all my friends were from work... However, I got involved in the Jewish community and made close friends and made them quickly. On the other hand, I still feel closer to the people back home in CT who I grew up with and this is a large part of why I am moving.
3) No, my issues with Austin are more about the conservatism, the lack of a diverse, interesting dining scene, and the limited cultural and entertainment opportunities. I grew up just outside of NYC, so I think I would find the activity limited in most places.
4) No, I am outta here.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 10,106 times
Talking Looking forward to moving to Austin fall 2010

Originally from the Chicago area where many people thought of me as being fairly liberal, I have been Living in California for a little over 10 years now, and plan to move to the Austin area in fall 2010. I Currently live in San Diego having moved south from Santa Cruz Ca about 5 years ago. Living in California particularly in Santa Cruz, I knew many people who shared openly the opposite of this quote from this board...
Quote:
However, I soon found out there was a non-acceptance and strong conservatism that chills the blood! I would hear people gossiping about so-and-so plotting to drive the person out because they were liberal, gay, ethnic, was an upstart (heaven forbid change could be a good thing) etc.
Instead they were non-accepting of any non-leftist views and people. They were not just unconventional but anti-conventional and anti- America! This too chilled my blood! In the beginning people would gossip right in front of me about so-and-so plotting to drive the person out because they were not liberal enough, and because they didn't support the "gay" (BS, lifestyle, and agenda) ethnicity was only a good thing when it supported leftist, homosexual, and other anti-traditional America views! And it was only OK to be an "upstart" if you supported the fore mentioned views.
I was in school with people like this for over 2 years until I until graduated. I tried to keep my opposing views to myself in order to get through the program in peace but you can only put up with such stuff for so long. Once I used the word homosexual rather than gay I was pegged by them and I saw the actions of these people from the short side becoming one of their targets to drive out.
It will be great to live in a place such as Austin where I can find Many people with strong Conservative Values! I am not particularly religious but have come to appreciate and value more conservative views. I look forward to conversations with others on how to drive people out because they're leftists, pushing the homosexual agenda, believe in multiculturalism rather than 'E Pluribus Unum', or are just generally anarchists that are anti-traditional America. I Love change when it is a Good thing and look forward to meeting the people who appreciate and value more conservative views and are willing to stand together to bring them forward for the generations to come!
I am very much looking forward to moving to Austin this fall... Look Out Austin your new son is coming home. Long Live Traditional America and Austin!
PS I am a Long Time BIG SRV fan!

Old 04-17-2010, 03:34 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,859,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy2bMoving2ATX View Post
Originally from the Chicago area where many people thought of me as being fairly liberal, I have been Living in California for a little over 10 years now, and plan to move to the Austin area in fall 2010. I Currently live in San Diego having moved south from Santa Cruz Ca about 5 years ago. Living in California particularly in Santa Cruz, I knew many people who shared openly the opposite of this quote from this board...
Instead they were non-accepting of any non-leftist views and people. They were not just unconventional but anti-conventional and anti- America! This too chilled my blood! In the beginning people would gossip right in front of me about so-and-so plotting to drive the person out because they were not liberal enough, and because they didn't support the "gay" (BS, lifestyle, and agenda) ethnicity was only a good thing when it supported leftist, homosexual, and other anti-traditional America views! And it was only OK to be an "upstart" if you supported the fore mentioned views.
I was in school with people like this for over 2 years until I until graduated. I tried to keep my opposing views to myself in order to get through the program in peace but you can only put up with such stuff for so long. Once I used the word homosexual rather than gay I was pegged by them and I saw the actions of these people from the short side becoming one of their targets to drive out.
It will be great to live in a place such as Austin where I can find Many people with strong Conservative Values! I am not particularly religious but have come to appreciate and value more conservative views. I look forward to conversations with others on how to drive people out because they're leftists, pushing the homosexual agenda, believe in multiculturalism rather than 'E Pluribus Unum', or are just generally anarchists that are anti-traditional America. I Love change when it is a Good thing and look forward to meeting the people who appreciate and value more conservative views and are willing to stand together to bring them forward for the generations to come!
I am very much looking forward to moving to Austin this fall... Look Out Austin your new son is coming home. Long Live Traditional America and Austin!

Yeah, okay, I call BS.

I am sure it is sooo hard to be a conservative in America right now.

But to play devils advocate,

You felt like you were ostracized by liberals in California, so you want to move to texas b/c you "can't wait" to start ostracizing liberals right back? So Ostracism is okay as long as your side is the one with the strong arm.

I think you are going to be REALLY surprised that no one will want to have anything to do with you when you move to Austin. This is not the place to come and gay bash, although it might not seem like it from this board.

But whenver I see a really horrible belligerent conservative post in the Austin Board, and it is the ONLY post that poster has ever made, I just assume "oh, troll." So troll on brother, troll on. I can be magnanimous to you, b/c my side is currently winning. All your side has left to do is troll.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:47 PM

979 posts, read 2,959,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwv View Post
Central Austin, from about 51st down to Oltorf is actually quite unique in its vibe. What makes it so is the combination and interaction of these areas all together- about 6 miles long and 2 miles wide. You've got North Loop/Triangle/Central Park/Hyde Park down to UT/West Campus down to Downtown/Capitol down to South Congress. There aren't too many other places in the USA that have this kind of quirky mix that all run together. A huge research university and a Capitol area right next to each other are the core. Madison and Columbus in this respect aren't really comparable to Austin anymore.
I'm also confused as to how this makes Austin different than a city like Columbus which also has a large research university about the same size as UT, and the state capitol, and some funky neighborhoods all within a few miles of each other in a city with a population size about the same size as Austin and a river that runs near downtown.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:09 PM

You are funny. You imply that it is easy to be conservitive in America but also claim that "your side" (leftist views) are winning. which is it? It sounds as though you would be more at home in Santa Cruz CA Rather than Anywhere in TX. Either way I am not looking to bring any further forward an anonymous and meaningless debate over social views. Go in peace brother :-)

I am not looking (nor have I ever been looking) to bash anybody. I simply do not support leftist views, people who push the homosexual agenda, believe in multiculturalism rather than 'E Pluribus Unum', or are just generally anarchists that are anti-traditional America. Believe it or not on most issues many people consider me somewhat liberal. It all depends on the issue. I am looking forward to moving to Austin and know I will find many like minded people (as I am sure you would find in Santa Cruz).

Old 04-17-2010, 04:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,015,388 times
As a fairly liberal and open minded independent I found myself being "driven-forced out" of Austin by transplants.

And I'm sure you heard wrong. Conservatives and religious people are more likely to drive people out than so called non-conformists that hold little or no power in society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy2bMoving2ATX View Post

Old 04-17-2010, 04:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,015,388 times
I agree. She wasn't ostracized by liberals. California is run by conservative minded-people. She probably just hated the people there.

I was ostracized in Austin. But it was done by two-faced students that were transplants from conservative regions. They were politically correct and nice to my face but the entire time was ignored and not once befriended by anyone. My freedom of speech was monitored. And I wasn't aloud to have opinions or friends. Rather strange and unfortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Yeah, okay, I call BS.

I am sure it is sooo hard to be a conservative in America right now.

But to play devils advocate,

You felt like you were ostracized by liberals in California, so you want to move to texas b/c you "can't wait" to start ostracizing liberals right back? So Ostracism is okay as long as your side is the one with the strong arm.

I think you are going to be REALLY surprised that no one will want to have anything to do with you when you move to Austin. This is not the place to come and gay bash, although it might not seem like it from this board.

But whenver I see a really horrible belligerent conservative post in the Austin Board, and it is the ONLY post that poster has ever made, I just assume "oh, troll." So troll on brother, troll on. I can be magnanimous to you, b/c my side is currently winning. All your side has left to do is troll.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:45 PM

[quote]I agree. She wasn't ostracized by liberals. California is run by conservative minded-people.[quote]

I (a He) was indeed ostracized by people who refer to themselves as liberals and progressives. Clearly you have not spent much time in California if you believe your statement above.

[quote]I was ostracized in Austin. But it was done by two-faced students that were transplants from conservative regions. They were politically correct and nice to my face but the entire time was ignored and not once befriended by anyone. My freedom of speech was monitored. And I wasn't aloud to have opinions or friends. Rather strange and unfortunate.[quote]

I could say a similar situation occurs when leftists who think of themselves as "Liberal" and "Progressive" dominate in numbers. They too are religious about their Leftist views. Either way I am looking forward to moving to Austin and know I will find many like minded people.

Last edited by Happy2bMoving2ATX; 04-17-2010 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: errors in my typing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin