Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 05:01 PM

57 posts, read 49,996 times

Advertisements

hello everybody , i'm going to live in Texas , Austin and i'd like to know is this choice is Right or wrong ,, in the beginning i want to tell you i'm from Egypt and i'm really tired about picking a state to live and work and make a project ,, but finally i chose Austin but i don't know anything there , i don't know is this city is nice and has good people and how about the crimes there and which suburb should i live because i will buy a house and how much house near downtown ?,,, i have many questions because i'm new in all that and i don't even know how i will go to store or just walking with my wife , so is the life there is good and there is much places to go in weekend ? and what kind of project to open in Austin ? Restaurant , store , etc but all that projects i have no experience because i'm new in this country and Really confuse and i will appreciate ur help because i will settle down there so no chance to change the state or the city ... and i'm Muslim and my wife wear Hijap( the cover in her head) is this will make any troubles for us or the people are friendly ? i'm sorry my English is not perfect but i'm try to explain to you and i wish i find answers of all these question . thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 05:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...fo-thread.html

Read it! Most of your questions area answered there.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:44 PM

155 posts, read 211,578 times
Your wife's hijab shouldn't create any troubles for your family anywhere in Austin. Austin is quite friendly.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,502 times
Austin is a very good and a very safe place to live, I've commuted to the area with my family for shopping and whatnot my whole life, I was even born there! All the suburbs are great places to live, some notable ones include Cedar Park, Leander, Round Rock, Pflugerville, Lakeway, Bee Cave, Buda, Kyle, and San Marcos. The whole metro area is growing exponentially fast but there are areas you can still settle down on. The people are very diverse and friendly in the city, so you shouldn't have any problems. Downtown might be one of the expensive areas and the western suburbs in the Lake Travis and Westlake areas can be also expensive, you might want to take a look at Northern or Southern Austin, might be able to finder cheap homes in the far suburbs if you're willing to commute that far. But anyways, just do that research about the city and surroundings, you will enjoy Austin.

Last edited by Multi Austinite; 09-22-2013 at 07:33 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 07:22 PM

thank you CptnRn , PrimusPilus , Multi Austinite , i really appreciate ur help but what you suggest me to open new project there ?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hema84 View Post
i really appreciate ur help but what you suggest me to open new project there ?
That depends on your talents and abilities! Austin is a growing market but also quite competitive. Independent stores can struggle without a lot of planning and luck.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:09 PM

thank you centralaustinite but even if i have experience or talent it will not work in USA because i'm Egyptian and i don't know anything but i'm computer maintenance and software Engineer and i really i don't know what is the good project for me

Old 09-22-2013, 08:36 PM

Sorry I am confused, if those are your skills, why not look for a job in a computer related field? If you are a recent immigrant, are there resources in the area where you are now to help make these decisions? Maybe try to get some retail experience with computers and then work towards your own repair shop?

Old 09-23-2013, 08:26 AM

i agree with you centralaustinite i want to own my repair shop Really but is that easy there and what i need exactly to own repair shop and i know how to install window 98 , xp , 7, 8 , windows server 2003 and i know how to fix computer problems and fix the hardware , is that work there or i still need some experience and plus i know some network like configuration routers , make network wire , make some computer work together through network but i think will not work there because we have different routers and system in Egypt so is that work what i mentioned above about the windows or i need more experience .... thank you

Old 09-23-2013, 08:33 AM

In Austin (and probably where ever you are now) there are already several independent computer repair shops -- Discount Electronics, PC Gurus, etc -- try and get a job in an existing shop first and sharpen your skills.

Compared to Egypt, starting a business in the US (especially Texas) is very easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin