Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:21 PM

65 posts, read 139,730 times

Advertisements

New here and so glad to have found this forum! I currently live in NW Round Rock/Cedar Park and looking to move because of a bad neighbor (long story ). We're looking along 1431 (w of 35- where we are now), 3406 w and Parmer north of 620, but not finding a lot that we like.

We're looking for a community, not a neighborhood, and have heard a lot about Steiner Ranch being a family friendly and master-planned community. We obviously love the hills and trees, vicinity to the lake would be a nice change, nice amenities, etc. Looking for at least 2200 sqft and hope to stay under 275k.

I'm a teacher, and at least for right now, my kids would come with me to school in Avery Ranch. My husband works at Dell RR. Would the commute be worth it for the community? As I mentioned, I'm a teacher so we'd be "the poor folk" in the area! I'd love any recommendations!

Last edited by schock77; 07-07-2009 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Can't type worth a darn! ;)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:24 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
We're in Steiner and we love it. The commute shouldn't be too bad from here. I think it would totally be worth it.

You should be able to find a very nice house for $275,000 right now. Just remember that our taxes are really high.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:31 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
Have to looked at the Ranch at Brushy Creek, It is a growing community that is very family oriented. The commute would be super duper easy.

I think you could find something in your price range.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
We're in Steiner and we love it. The commute shouldn't be too bad from here. I think it would totally be worth it.

You should be able to find a very nice house for $275,000 right now. Just remember that our taxes are really high.
Thanks!
Yeah... I'm in a 2300 sqft home right now and paid $5700. this year... but I've always lived in TX so the property tax doesn't scare me too much, just makes my monthly payment higher.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
Have to looked at the Ranch at Brushy Creek, It is a growing community that is very family oriented. The commute would be super duper easy.

I think you could find something in your price range.
Yes- half the neighborhood actually feeds into my school which would be nice, but I can't get a real feel for it yet. Maybe it's because it's so new, not many trees, etc. It's on the resale home shopping list though!

Such quick replies- this forum is great!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Have you taken a close look at Mayfield Ranch and Vista Oaks? Both have some fairly good values on homes and are in the area that you're looking. Even Avery Ranch itself or Ranch at Brushy Creek would be an option and you would be even closer to the newly expanded Brushy Creek Trail. As far as the bad neighbor goes, that could happen in any neighborhood or community. It only takes one to ruin your experience in what might otherwise be a great neighborhood.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:18 AM

11 posts, read 29,277 times
We've lived in Steiner Ranch for almost 2 years now and love every minute of it. We've met more friends, been to more BBQ's, birthday parties and block parties in those 2 years than we ever did. In our neighborhood - you feel like all the neighbors are looking out for your children - it's great.To answer your original question - I do know we have quite a few folks from Dell that live in the area - so to them, it must be worth the commute.Good luck.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:29 AM

Thanks 2Read--- that's exactly what my husband in particular is looking for! He's all about BBQs and get togethers!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:36 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Read View Post
We've lived in Steiner Ranch for almost 2 years now and love every minute of it. We've met more friends, been to more BBQ's, birthday parties and block parties in those 2 years than we ever did. In our neighborhood - you feel like all the neighbors are looking out for your children - it's great.To answer your original question - I do know we have quite a few folks from Dell that live in the area - so to them, it must be worth the commute.Good luck.
So true. I also like being able to walk to so many things.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 AM

For the folks on the RRISD side of MR- they had a few ideas to relieve severe crowding at Cactus Ranch elem. They opted for sending MR to Patsy Sommer (in Avery) for this year. Next year, the new elementary in Stone Oak will be finished and they'll go to it. But if you lived on the RRISD side and have, let's say a kid who was in third grade at Cactus, they'd go to Sommer for fourth grade, Stone Oak for fifth grade and then start middle school. That's a lot of moving around.

I don't think we'll ever see RRISD and LISD give up any boundary- that's property tax!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin